Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Cashflow game

Making your money go further
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Cashflow game

Postby Dod101 » February 6th, 2024, 8:43 pm

csearle wrote:
Dod101 wrote:At 13.5C and you say if you feel the need for more heat? My boiler broke down at the weekend and someone is finally coming to take a look today. I have a woodburner which I light around 1pm and that heats part of the house, my sitting room and hall at least. My house temperature only gets down to about 15C with that regime but that is too cold to sit in. However my secret weapon is that I discovered that I have a heating element in my towel rail in the bathroom. I had forgotten that. Makes for a decent heat in the bathroom. Trouble is that unlike my woodburner, there is no radiator effect. Switch it off and the room quickly cools down.

Dod
I just wear a fleece indoors. When I'm working I wear shorts all year around, building sites or domestics. I contend it keeps my BMR high enough to stop me getting fat. C.

Funnily enough, the boiler engineer who came to sort my boiler was wearing shorts and of course most postmen do all the year round. Maybe there is something in what you say.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 6th, 2024, 9:07 pm

csearle wrote:I just wear a fleece indoors. When I'm working I wear shorts all year around, building sites or domestics. I contend it keeps my BMR high enough to stop me getting fat. C.

I usually wear an oldfashioned woollen pullover around the house in winter. Fleece for going out. The rationale is that I only want to wear wool when I'm not doing anything that'll cause it to need frequent washing.

Part of what keeps me warm is a good layer of natural, organic insulation - aka fat.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 6th, 2024, 9:11 pm

Dod101 wrote:Funnily enough, the boiler engineer who came to sort my boiler was wearing shorts and of course most postmen do all the year round. Maybe there is something in what you say.

The wearing of shorts at latitude 56.5 in January is impressive. Then again you guys wear skirts year round so I am clearly not worthy.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 6th, 2024, 9:14 pm

Dod101 wrote: My boiler broke down at the weekend and someone is finally coming to take a look today.
[...]
However my secret weapon is that I discovered that I have a heating element in my towel rail in the bathroom.

Presumably you only need one seat.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 6th, 2024, 9:39 pm

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Funnily enough, the boiler engineer who came to sort my boiler was wearing shorts and of course most postmen do all the year round. Maybe there is something in what you say.

The wearing of shorts at latitude 56.5 in January is impressive.

Much less problematic than in midgie season.

Then again you guys wear skirts year round so I am clearly not worthy.

The Devils in Skirts!

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » February 6th, 2024, 10:35 pm

My boiler broke down during one of the winter lockdowns. I was really cold and miserable for a few days but then suddenly I stopped noticing it. Being during lockdown, I wasn't going anywhere warm so I ended up acclimatising.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 7th, 2024, 12:00 am

MrFoolish wrote:My boiler broke down during one of the winter lockdowns. I was really cold and miserable for a few days but then suddenly I stopped noticing it. Being during lockdown, I wasn't going anywhere warm so I ended up acclimatising.

It was the inability to get a hot shower that bugged me.

If it hadn't been lockdown, the public baths would've served in an emergency!

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 7th, 2024, 10:57 am

Dod

when I lived in New Zealand many if not most outdoors workers wore shorts all year round, especially farmers.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 7th, 2024, 11:48 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:My boiler broke down during one of the winter lockdowns. I was really cold and miserable for a few days but then suddenly I stopped noticing it. Being during lockdown, I wasn't going anywhere warm so I ended up acclimatising.

It was the inability to get a hot shower that bugged me.

If it hadn't been lockdown, the public baths would've served in an emergency!

I have an immersion heater which does the trick. But yes that would bug me as well.

Dod

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » February 7th, 2024, 6:00 pm

didds wrote:

Dod

when I lived in New Zealand many if not most outdoors workers wore shorts all year round, especially farmers.

To be fair, most of NZ doesn't get as cold as the UK. But I worked on a high country run and we were not wearing shorts all year around there.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 8th, 2024, 9:45 am

James wrote:
To be fair, most of NZ doesn't get as cold as the UK. But I worked on a high country run and we were not wearing shorts all year around there.

Thats true and fair enough ... the season I spent playing rugby in Taranaki my team mates were all saying what a bad winter is was being - and I pointed out that we hadn't had a frost all the time I had been there!

Return to “Living Below Your Means”