Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Whisky

Making your money go further
International
Lemon Pip

Whisky

Postby International » January 30th, 2024, 9:28 am

Hi All,

I'm asking lots of questions in other areas of the forum so I thought I should contribute a little something.

I like Islay single malt whisky, particularly Caol Ila. Recently it is has rocketed from £38something to £50 a bottle.

That made look at the Aldi and Lidi Islay whiskies. In some ways they are a travesty, as they are only something like 3 years old, but I thought for £18 a bottle I would take a look.

I was pleasantly surprised. Now, they are obviously not a good as a 12-year matured Islay single malt, but rather than say they are very much worse, I'd say they are "different". Still very pleasant.

Of the two, Ben Bracken, which I think is the Lidl one is the more like Caol Ila. The Aldi one, Glen Marnoch, is smoother and more like Bowmore. I prefer the Ben Bracken.

If Caol Ila came back down I'd certainly go back to it, but for now, at £18 vs £50, the Ben Bracken is what is in my glass when I light the log burner.

stacker512
2 Lemon pips

Re: Whisky

Postby stacker512 » January 30th, 2024, 11:43 am

International wrote:Hi All,
I like Islay single malt whisky....

...the Ben Bracken is what is in my glass when I light the log burner.

Could you tell us more about whisky and your experiences with it?

I don't drink alcohol much, but when I do, it's usually ales / stouts or red wine, so I'm curious.

What's the appeal of whisky? (not being judgemental, even if it might come across as such)
Is it the taste?
Is it healthier? (I've been thinking maybe I should take up whisky / whiskey instead of ale / wine as it's less sugar and supposedly better if you are trying to do a Keto diet)

Do you have a small amount, neat, while listening to music etc while being alone? Or is it more of a social drink when you are with friends / family?

Is it the perception that it's a "manly" drink / the drink of the intelligentsia? (again, not being judgemental. I'm vaguely aware of some sort of psychological effect where behaviours affect the mind, and so if one wants to be more intelligent, taking on behaviours of those that are intelligent could perhaps cause your mind to become more intelligent - the act of doing something, promotes the state of being that something).

The thing that makes me reticent to buy any whisky is that I am unsure how bad, relatively speaking, it is to the liver.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 30th, 2024, 11:47 am

Having just finished my bottle of Ardbeg, I'll be looking out for either another of the same or Lagavulin. Caol Ila isn't quite so high up my list of preferences.

But if there's that kind of price differential ... I wonder?

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » January 30th, 2024, 11:50 am

stacker512 wrote:

I don't drink alcohol much, but when I do, it's usually ales / stouts or red wine, so I'm curious.

What's the appeal of whisky?

Whisky: the taste of violence and regret.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 30th, 2024, 11:58 am

stacker512 wrote:What's the appeal of whisky? (not being judgemental, even if it might come across as such)

I draw an analogy to coffee. Whisky is to beer as espresso is to filter coffee. Well, in a very loose sense!

I don't often drink it: the lifetime of a bottle in my house is more than a year (it has a more-or-less unlimited shelf life). I drink it either socially or very occasionally with certain foods. The latter either with a high liquid content (example) or alongside a glass of water. I much more usually drink beer, wine, fruit juice, or water.
Last edited by UncleEbenezer on January 30th, 2024, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 30th, 2024, 11:59 am

A coupe of years ago I was turned on to the better than the price brands of Ben Bracken and Western Gold bourbon in Lidl. Both brands have offered more mature bottlings, the 3 year old bourbon is cheap but the 6 and rarer 10 year olds make a difference.
I expect it was the Speyside that I liked and double checking just now it might be made by a preferred distillery of mine Tamnaulvin. https://spiritedmatters.com/2016/12/tam ... lt-whisky/

Seems the Ben Islay might be of the Caol Ila estate. https://malt-review.com/2022/12/21/lidl ... -year-old/

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 30th, 2024, 5:40 pm

I suspect UncleEbenezer and I have similar tastes in whisky.
Ardbeg is my favourite, and would not turn my nose up at Laphroaig or Lagavulin. Caol Ila is, to me, a bit less 'in your face': more like Bunnahabhain.
But, and much to my surprise, my favourite of the Ben Brackens is not Ben Bracken Islay (all smoke and no taste, and a pale watery imitation of the better Islay malts) but Ben Bracken Highland (honey-ish and a bit like Glenfarclas*).

* when I lived in Scotland, my favourite was Glenfarclas 105 neat; must have been bonkers

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 30th, 2024, 5:51 pm

International wrote:If Caol Ila came back down I'd certainly go back to it, but for now, at £18 vs £50, the Ben Bracken is what is in my glass when I light the log burner.

Choose
1) Really? I use Happy Shopper firelighters.
2) Well I suppose you need something to keep you warm for for the hour it takes to get going.
3) Hope you don't stand too close when you do.
etc
etc

:)

Paul

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 31st, 2024, 1:21 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Having just finished my bottle of Ardbeg, I'll be looking out for either another of the same or Lagavulin. Caol Ila isn't quite so high up my list of preferences.

But if there's that kind of price differential ... I wonder?

Round here Lagavulin 16 has hit silly prices - but I find the less popular 8 is wonderfully brash and to me decent value.

Similarly feisty was the Ardbeg 5yr Old (Wee Beestie) I was introduced to a family thing recently
- it's Ardbeg without the manners
- cracking stuff

-sd

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » January 31st, 2024, 9:24 am

stewamax wrote:I suspect UncleEbenezer and I have similar tastes in whisky.
Ardbeg is my favourite, and would not turn my nose up at Laphroaig or Lagavulin. Caol Ila is, to me, a bit less 'in your face': more like Bunnahabhain.
But, and much to my surprise, my favourite of the Ben Brackens is not Ben Bracken Islay (all smoke and no taste, and a pale watery imitation of the better Islay malts) but Ben Bracken Highland (honey-ish and a bit like Glenfarclas*).

* when I lived in Scotland, my favourite was Glenfarclas 105 neat; must have been bonkers

I have acquired a taste for various Jura whiskies, catch is they discontinue some so if you do not stock up on ones you like whilst they are available next time you want to buy you can't find; the one in particular I have sought is Diurach's Own, just cannot now find at a price I will pay.

Not so keen on Ardbeg, I find it a little harsh.

Have always liked a Laphroaig.

In all cases with water, roughly 1 whisky to 1/2 water, though sometimes may move to 1 to 1

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 31st, 2024, 11:26 am

Charlottesquare wrote:In all cases with water, roughly 1 whisky to 1/2 water, though sometimes may move to 1 to 1

Ahh, but not all water is created equal, unless you're using a premium bottled brand for consistency.

V8

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 31st, 2024, 11:39 am

88V8 wrote:Ahh, but not all water is created equal, unless you're using a premium bottled brand for consistency.

I have just acquired a dehumidifier and have been wondering to what use I can put this new supply of distilled water.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 31st, 2024, 11:50 am

88V8 wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:In all cases with water, roughly 1 whisky to 1/2 water, though sometimes may move to 1 to 1

Ahh, but not all water is created equal, unless you're using a premium bottled brand for consistency.

V8

Don't drink it until you've passed it.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » January 31st, 2024, 1:11 pm

88V8 wrote:

V8

Edinburgh water is not bad, why we used to have all the breweries here (9though there are a few newer smaller ones cropping up)

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » January 31st, 2024, 4:14 pm

Laphroaig 10 is on offer at Morrisons currently for the Islay fans.
I just popped in on the way home and had a browse.

God bless her, the OH went to France in the Autumn and spotted a duty free offer, so I am currently working my way through a litre each of smoky black and sherry cask Famous Grouse, depending on my mood.

W.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 31st, 2024, 7:38 pm

Wuffle wrote:Laphroaig 10 is on offer at Morrisons currently for the Islay fans.
I just popped in on the way home and had a browse.

God bless her, the OH went to France in the Autumn and spotted a duty free offer, so I am currently working my way through a litre each of smoky black and sherry cask Famous Grouse, depending on my mood.

W.

Whoops! I was on my way to Morrisons when you posted that. Just seen it now :roll:

I used to love Laphroaig. Then I acquired a bottle of something disgusting under the Laphroaig label. Without a clear record of the exact details, I'm reluctant to buy another bottle, lest I get the wrong one again.

It's a bit like French wines until fairly recently. After too many bad experiences I gave up buying them. I knew there were excellent French wines around, but the risk of getting it wrong was too high.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 31st, 2024, 7:55 pm

kempiejon wrote:
88V8 wrote:Ahh, but not all water is created equal, unless you're using a premium bottled brand for consistency.

I have just acquired a dehumidifier and have been wondering to what use I can put this new supply of distilled water.

Good thought, albeit I put mine in the car(s) as it collects in a plastic container.

V8

International
Lemon Pip

Postby International » January 31st, 2024, 9:27 pm

stacker512 wrote:

What's the appeal of whisky? (not being judgemental, even if it might come across as such)
Is it the taste?
Is it healthier?

Do you have a small amount, neat, while listening to music etc while being alone? Or is it more of a social drink when you are with friends / family?

Is it the perception that it's a "manly" drink / the drink of the intelligentsia?

The thing that makes me reticent to buy any whisky is that I am unsure how bad, relatively speaking, it is to the liver.

Hi,

I tend to like the single-malts, which are more costly than the blended styles, but are much more special in my experience. There might be some good blends though.

Scotch whisky has different styles depending on the region it is from. I like the Western Isles styles, which tend to be smoky and peaty. These are not the sort of whiskies that most people would like. Often people comment that it smells like TCP or Germoline. If you wanted an introduction they try something more middle-of-the road like Glenfiddich.

Whisky tastes very much of where it is made. The peat, the salt, the seaweed. It is an experience that engages your nose and tastebuds intensely. I drink a finger's-worth, neat. Some people may add a drop or two of water - not more. I'll tend to drink it when reading by the fire, or perhaps watching a suitable programme, perhaps something like a nature documentary. It's a reflective experience for me.

I drink it because I like it.

I think your liver will deal with alcohol in a similar way regardless of whether it comes from gin, vodka, whisky or whatever, but I'm not a doctor.
Last edited by International on January 31st, 2024, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

International
Lemon Pip

Postby International » January 31st, 2024, 9:29 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I draw an analogy to coffee. Whisky is to beer as espresso is to filter coffee. Well, in a very loose sense!

I think that's a good analogy

International
Lemon Pip

Postby International » January 31st, 2024, 9:30 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
International wrote:If Caol Ila came back down I'd certainly go back to it, but for now, at £18 vs £50, the Ben Bracken is what is in my glass when I light the log burner.

Choose
1) Really? I use Happy Shopper firelighters.
2) Well I suppose you need something to keep you warm for for the hour it takes to get going.
3) Hope you don't stand too close when you do.
etc
etc

:)

Paul

I'm a fan of your work here, especially (1)...

Return to “Living Below Your Means”