Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Home Insurance (With Lodgers)

Making your money go further
jaizan
Lemon Slice

Home Insurance (With Lodgers)

Postby jaizan » February 27th, 2024, 3:30 am

I thought there were some new rules restricting insurers from quoting low to win business, then excessively jacking up the premium at renewal time?
However, LV have increased my home insurance by 49% from the initial quote to renewal.
I have never made a home insurance claim, so there should be no material change from my side.

I find home insurance is very inconvenient. I have lodgers, so the number of insurers is limited.
Then certain providers have unreasonable conditions, such as requiring me to inform them every time the number of people in the house changes. I just expect to insure the worst case condition and be done with it.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Home Insurance (With Lodgers)

Postby mutantpoodle » February 27th, 2024, 8:31 am

jaizan wrote:I thought there were some new rules restricting insurers from quoting low to win business, then excessively jacking up the premium at renewal time?
However, LV have increased my home insurance by 49% from the initial quote to renewal.
I have never made a home insurance claim, so there should be no material change from my side.

I find home insurance is very inconvenient. I have lodgers, so the number of insurers is limited.
Then certain providers have unreasonable conditions, such as requiring me to inform them every time the number of people in the house changes. I just expect to insure the worst case condition and be done with it.

try AVIVA..((NOT))) .30 years no claims (not all at AVIVA) 40% increase last year and now wanting 35% more.........they claim to be customer friendly

not renewed obviously

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » February 27th, 2024, 8:37 am

ISTR Morethan might be quite good with lodgers - I'm fairly sure it's a question as part of the homeowner script so might be worth putting the data in online and seeing if they come back with something better.

Niksen
Lemon Pip

Postby Niksen » February 27th, 2024, 10:21 am

jaizan wrote:I thought there were some new rules restricting insurers from quoting low to win business, then excessively jacking up the premium at renewal time?

Not quite.

The new rule is that they cannot quote you a higher price on renewal than they would quote someone new who is the same risk as you, and (and this is the important bit) that is being quoted through the same route as you took on the policy.

Thus if you paid £500 when you took on the policy via a phone call to them, and now were quoting £1,000 on renewal then that is absolutely fine if they are quoting someone who phoned them up £1,000 as a new quote.

However the same 'route' means that they are free to quote someone new via their website £750, someone via a comparison site £500, someone coming through one of their other named companies £1,250, etc.

What it all means is that doing a comparison on renewal is still worthwhile.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » February 28th, 2024, 5:07 am

mutantpoodle wrote:try AVIVA..((NOT))) .30 years no claims (not all at AVIVA) 40% increase last year and now wanting 35% more.........they claim to be customer friendly

I was with Aviva for years and left them when they suddenly tried jacking up my premium for no obvious reason.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”