Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Royal Mail death spiral

Making your money go further
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Royal Mail death spiral

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 9th, 2024, 1:26 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Midsmartin wrote:Anecdotally - I've sent two things by Special delivery in the last 6 months, guaranteed to be delivered, tracked, by 1pm the next day.
The first one took 5 days to arrive, after just disappearing, with no tracking updates for 3 days.
The second one, last weekend did precisely the same. It was an important document that we really needed to get there on Monday, and it arrived on Friday. By Wednesday we had to jump through hoops to obtain a replacement document. Next tine I am going to get in my car and drive 90 miles to deliver it by hand. I can't trust Royal Mail to do it

Don't say that! I sent something special delivery just today for (so far as I recollect) the first time ever, and they've promised Monday morning delivery.

Arrived already. False alarm.

And it wasn't even an epic post office queue when I sent it!

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 11th, 2024, 9:46 pm

Well according to the wife we had two separate Royal Mail deliveries today!

One of which was the IC that should have turned up on Friday. She assumed that the postman couldn't be bothered on Friday, so came back today. Otherwise why two deliveries?

She complained on Friday, so possibly the second delivery is due to the complaint.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 19th, 2024, 6:30 pm

Lootman wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Agreed, it's odd, because AF62 did enjoy an argument and would often carry on relentlessly until his adversary got tired and gave up. Not unlike some other LFs I could name, in fact. :lol: A hyper-committed technophile, IIRC?

There are a few similarities. Both are big fans of total dependence on technology (EVs, paying only with a phone, staunchly anti-paper). Both spend a fair amount of time in Spain. Both get defensive if their methods are challenged or criticised, and both like to have the last word.

So similar in style and substance. Plus Niksen was posting prolifically and combatively within a few days of signing up, which is unusual for someone who is genuinely new here.

Could just be a coincidence of course. But right after it was suggested here that Niksen is AF62, Niksen vanished just as mysteriously and suddenly as AF62 did last August. :D

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 19th, 2024, 6:41 pm

4 people knocked at my door today - I was home almost all day save a 40 minute excursion when a card appeared to tell me the package was under the stairs - 3 separate deliveries and a sales person, it strikes me when there was just RM that would have only been two. SO orders all the time I have tried to stem this but no success; appealing to financial, environment, practical and now storage falls on deaf ears.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 19th, 2024, 6:45 pm

kempiejon wrote:4 people knocked at my door today - I was home almost all day save a 40 minute excursion when a card appeared to tell me the package was under the stairs - 3 separate deliveries and a sales person, it strikes me when there was just RM that would have only been two. SO orders all the time I have tried to stem this but no success; appealing to financial, environment, practical and now storage falls on deaf ears.

I use a POB service for post and packages. It is staffed from 9 to 6 each day and they receive all my packages, signing for them if needed.

So I never have to play that game of waiting at home for a delivery. They handle returns as well.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 19th, 2024, 9:03 pm

Lootman wrote:
Lootman wrote:There are a few similarities. Both are big fans of total dependence on technology (EVs, paying only with a phone, staunchly anti-paper). Both spend a fair amount of time in Spain. Both get defensive if their methods are challenged or criticised, and both like to have the last word.

So similar in style and substance. Plus Niksen was posting prolifically and combatively within a few days of signing up, which is unusual for someone who is genuinely new here.

Could just be a coincidence of course. But right after it was suggested here that Niksen is AF62, Niksen vanished just as mysteriously and suddenly as AF62 did last August. :D

Moderator Message:
With respect, discussion of a poster's identity is off-topic for this board. IMO it's off-topic on all boards on the site but that's a separate issue. Can we please drop this discussion here. Thanks. (chas49)

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » April 15th, 2024, 3:14 pm

One organisation that will suffer from reduced postal service is the NHS.

They rely almost entirely on the postal service to inform patients of hospital and other clinic appointments.

Inefficiency in the postal service will lead to further inefficiency in the NHS.

FD

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 15th, 2024, 3:55 pm

chas49 wrote:
Moderator Message:
With respect, discussion of a poster's identity is off-topic for this board. IMO it's off-topic on all boards on the site but that's a separate issue.

Excellent point and a timely reminder.
Unless a poster overtly indicates that his/her personal identity is allowed to be disclosed, posts doing so should be removed.
Occasional and obviously worthwhile exceptions should be allowed - the death of esteemed poster Gengulphus was one - at the discretion of mod.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”