Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

BT Group - RNS re Altice UK having bought 12% of BT.A posted on Company News.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

BT Group - RNS re Altice UK having bought 12% of BT.A posted on Company News.

Postby idpickering » June 10th, 2021, 7:17 am

Here; viewtopic.php?p=418517#p418517

I believe that some HYPers hold BT Group in their HYPs, so this item may be of interest to them.

Ian.

blobby
2 Lemon pips

Re: BT Group - RNS re Altice UK having bought 12% of BT.A posted on Company News.

Postby blobby » June 10th, 2021, 11:28 am

Yes, very, very interesting. Several of my HYP shares have unexpectedly started to do well and ended up in a takeover situation. E.g. John Laing, RSA, things like Royal Mail have taken off after performing badly for a long time. TalkTalk taken over for an absolute bargain price :-(

BT seems to have a large barrier to entry for competitors and it’s quite carefully regulated which reduces risk for me. Probably will not shoot the lights out but it’s been good value for a long time.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: BT Group - RNS re Altice UK having bought 12% of BT.A posted on Company News.

Postby Itsallaguess » June 10th, 2021, 2:21 pm

blobby wrote:
Yes, very, very interesting.

Several of my HYP shares have unexpectedly started to do well and ended up in a takeover situation.

I notice BT are up over 6% today, and are up over 43% since the turn of the year...

Life in the old dog yet, it seems...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess (holds BT...)

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 10th, 2021, 5:03 pm

Yes BT has performed very well since its share price depths of around 100p. From a purely capital perspective I am very pleased I did not sell out of BT, but rather held my nerve and held onto my shares. Though overall I am still down in capital terms.

I am not sure the news of this investment is necessarily all good for anyone currently taking an income from their portfolio. The buyer seems focussed on long term growth and may well therefore have an influence on management to reinvest in the business rather than restart paying dividends to shareholders.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » June 11th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Do folks see BT as a hedge against inflation?
Higher interest rates would significantly reduce their pension burden, which would lead to a re-rating of the share.
No idea of the sensitivity of this versus their debt load.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”