Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

FTSE 100 yields over 3.5% (Dividend and Yield History)

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

FTSE 100 yields over 3.5% (Dividend and Yield History)

Postby Itsallaguess » September 18th, 2021, 6:45 am

Similar table to Wednesday's FTSE 250 data, but this one shows FTSE 100 constituents that currently yield 3.5% and over, ranked in yield order, and with a couple of URL links on the right hand side to their long-term dividend and yield history pages on the fantastic Dividend Data site.

The chart on the yield history pages will default to show the latest 12-month period, but there are buttons usually available on the yield-history charts to also then show longer time periods if they are of interest.

Please note that this data has been collated from a number of different sources, and as such, the table is offered up as an initial starting point only, and more detailed investigations should be carried out before any actions are taken, and clearly some of the chunkier yields shown should be given the critical respect they might well deserve...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Re: FTSE 100 yields over 3.5% (Dividend and Yield History)

Postby MrFoolish » September 18th, 2021, 7:20 am

DAK why are the miners on such high yields at the moment?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 18th, 2021, 7:32 am

MrFoolish wrote:

My default position regarding such things would be to follow the Admiral Ackbar assessment -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

And to mix my TV metaphors somewhat, let's never forget the great wisdom of Sergeant Phil Esterhaus -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg86CRBBtw

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » September 18th, 2021, 9:20 am

MrFoolish wrote:DAK why are the miners on such high yields at the moment?
Inherent cyclicity of the sector coupled with CoViD-19 exacerbating the causes of it according to this.

C.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 18th, 2021, 9:36 am

Itsallaguess wrote:, and clearly some of the chunkier yields shown should be given the critical respect they might well deserve...

Yes important to recognize, and you know my simple approach to filtering those out of selection... OMMV.

I haven't been paying much attention to RIO recently and was surprised by its yield rise/price drop of late, although that will be partly down to next week's super payout having gone ex-div.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 18th, 2021, 9:41 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:

My default position regarding such things would be to follow the Admiral Ackbar assessment -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

And to mix my TV metaphors somewhat, let's never forget the great wisdom of Sergeant Phil Esterhaus -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg86CRBBtw

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

https://youtu.be/F1xAUfdK9FE

Sorry couldn't resist...!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 18th, 2021, 10:02 am

I find it puzzling that Legal & General is apparently on a higher yield than abrdn. What's up with this market? Plenty of good yields from decent companies. In fact it must be a HYPer's paradise.

As for BT, a yield of 4.93%? Anyone buying it is going to be disappointed since it currently yields nothing.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 18th, 2021, 10:17 am

Dod101 wrote:I find it puzzling that Legal & General is apparently on a higher yield than abrdn. What's up with this market? Plenty of good yields from decent companies. In fact it must be a HYPer's paradise.

As for BT, a yield of 4.93%? Anyone buying it is going to be disappointed since it currently yields nothing.

Dod

Agreed re the HYPer’s paradise comment. As for BT.A, no thanks. Been there, and dumped it years ago. Thanks to IAAG for starting this thread. I shall be referring to the table above in the future, although sps and yields change all the time obviously.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 18th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Dod101 wrote:I find it puzzling that Legal & General is apparently on a higher yield than abrdn. What's up with this market? Plenty of good yields from decent companies. In fact it must be a HYPer's paradise.

Dod

I've forgotten the ins and outs of BT, but presumably that's a forecast and the "currently yielding nothing" is history. Anyone buying it expecting nothing, might therefore be plesantly surprised :)

As I say, I haven't checked the state of affairs, but if one is looking to buy a share, presumably one would do so.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 18th, 2021, 4:32 pm

I intended to ask anyway, so can IAAG say what is the basis for the yield in his table? He tells us that this is the 'current' yield but that obviously means different things to different people because as far as I know the 'current' yield for BT for instance, is nil.

Dod

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » September 18th, 2021, 4:43 pm

Dod101 wrote: as far as I know the 'current' yield for BT for instance, is nil.

The dividenddata site is quoting both 0.0% and 4.93% with an explanation that

BT Group have stated they intend to resume dividends at an annual rate of 7.7p per share in 2021/22.
Forecast Dividend Yield = Total Forecast Dividends (divided by) Current Share Price
= 7.7p / 156.15p
= 4.93%

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 18th, 2021, 4:47 pm

Alaric wrote:

BT Group have stated they intend to resume dividends at an annual rate of 7.7p per share in 2021/22.
Forecast Dividend Yield = Total Forecast Dividends (divided by) Current Share Price
= 7.7p / 156.15p
= 4.93%

Thanks. So that would suggest that we are talking about the forecast yield (presumably on current prices) I never use that. I prefer the trailing yield on current prices. At least that is factual. At any rate IAAG has been perfectly clear that the table should only be used as a starting pint and on that, it is very useful.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 18th, 2021, 4:58 pm

Dod101 wrote:
At any rate IAAG has been perfectly clear that the table should only be used as a starting pint.

After about six or seven, the floor can then be used, if it's more comfortable...

;O)

Regarding forecasts, I will defer to the outcome of Dod vs Itsallaguess regarding the recent HSBC forecast....ie. there's a time and a place for them, and they can be useful where it's clear that current-yield figures are useless...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 19th, 2021, 12:00 am

The miners...

BHP selling off oil interests. Possible downgrading in credit rating as a result ( reducing diversity of the materials they sell).
China cutting back on iron ore.

RIO..China and iton ore prices halving. Recent fine in Australia.

All Google-able.

The yields are dependent on profits and when a main commodity such as iron ore halves in price, we can probably work out that the dividend next year is unlikely to be as big as this year's bumper bonanza ( see Rio's divi policy).

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 19th, 2021, 1:28 am

Dod101 wrote:
Alaric wrote:

= 7.7p / 156.15p
= 4.93%

Thanks. So that would suggest that we are talking about the forecast yield (presumably on current prices) I never use that. I prefer the trailing yield on current prices. At least that is factual. At any rate IAAG has been perfectly clear that the table should only be used as a starting pint and on that, it is very useful.

Dod

Trailing yields on current prices may be factual but to an income buyer they are useless, because they measure what has already been paid not what will be received, as the BT example shows. Unless one starts with an assumption that income paid last year will be the same again next year, until told otherwise. I prefer not to listen to "forecasts", and term this "income ntm (next twelve months)".

Example: Astrazeneca, which has just paid its interim dividend and along with the previous final a total of 202.2p in the last twelve months, a trailing yield of 2.5%. Now to an income buyer its yield today is arguably zero (the opposite of the BT example). But that would be nonsense, given it's long track record of paying something, hence one makes an assumption that next year's payout will also be 202.2p, until the directors state otherwise in the next results which will not be until January or February.

Example2; BATS, which has paid a trailing income of 52.6+52.6+53.9+53.9=213.0p in the last year, however it has already announced the next two dividends of 53.9p in November and February, so one assumes next twelve months payout will be 4*53.9p= 215.6p, a yield of 8.1% today, until stated otherwise in the next results.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 19th, 2021, 6:47 am

moorfield wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Thanks. So that would suggest that we are talking about the forecast yield (presumably on current prices) I never use that. I prefer the trailing yield on current prices. At least that is factual.

Trailing yields on current prices may be factual but to an income buyer they are useless, because they measure what has already been paid not what will be received, as the BT example shows.

Unless one starts with an assumption that income paid last year will be the same again next year, until told otherwise.

And another word for such an assumption, given that it's being used to predict future events, is therefore, erm, a 'forecast'....

And if we're all going to be using 'forecasts' of one sort or another, then I'll continue to prefer using those from investment-industry sources that are closer to these companies than I can ever hope to be....

My own experience over the years has shown that doing so continues to deliver a very reliable indication of future portfolio income, and the recent long-term test of this theory that we carried out using HSBA as an example clearly showed the validity of the process in that particular case, and I would point out that the HSBA example that we tracked over the coming year to test the theory was actually closely aligned with the BT example being discussed on this thread, in that Dod is again claiming a BT yield of 0% based on backwards-looking data, and the given 4.93% yield forecast is looking forwards, similar to the HSBA test carried out on the thread below... -

Forecast Yields - do we believe them yet? -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26085&p=432627#p432581

Of course it clearly needs acknowledging that at an individual company level, accuracy of these types of forecasts can vary to some degree, and I'd never look to claim otherwise, but even taking that acknowledgement into account, I would add that when such forecast yields are taken in aggregate, and overall forecast income is then considered at portfolio-level, then it really is surprising how accurate the overall forecast-based portfolio income is, when tracked over a number of years...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 19th, 2021, 7:24 am

I do not deny any of the comments from either moorfield or IAAG and do not want to enter into another long discussion but HSBA (or HSBC as I prefer to call it) gave every holder a shock in March 2020 when its dividend was cancelled. By the time that was announced everyone including me was thrown well off course since if I remember correctly it was even passed its ex div date, so forecasts or expectations can sometimes be well wrong (of course, I can hear you say)

I do what moorfield says and assume that the dividend for the future will be not less than the past, unless I know otherwise, but I think the difference in our approaches is that I freely acknowledge that I am measuring what has been to see how my judgement has been, and am not really interested in worrying about what my future income is likely to be.

Fundamentally though the question is why are we measuring the yield anyway? In my case, to see how the individual shares have done over the last twelve months and whether they can be, or need to be improved upon. Like me, my portfolio is mature and I seldom look for new shares these days. I am not in the building phase, nor have I been for a long while.

As I said, the table is very helpful thank you, just as long as we know what the yield represents.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 19th, 2021, 7:39 am

Dod101 wrote:
As I said, the table is very helpful thank you, just as long as we know what the yield represents.

Thanks Dod, and I should probably have clearly pointed out much earlier in this yield-based discussion that the yield figures presented in the original table are fully explained with calculations shown underneath the charts shown via the right-hand 'Yield History' links for each company.

Some examples here if you scroll down to the section under the yield-charts -

Aviva - https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend-yield.py?epic=AV.

BT - https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend-yield.py?epic=BT.A

The bulk of the yields given in the original table are actually calculated using your preferred method, and the ones where forecasts are being used can be seen in BRACKETS on the following page, with the little arrows to the right of each share being used to access the relevant yield calculations -

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividendyield.py?market=ftse100

For completeness then, given the above, the yields for the following shares are using forecast data -

GSK 	GlaxoSmithKline
RDSA Royal Dutch Shell A
RDSB Royal Dutch Shell B
BT.A BT Group
RMG Royal Mail

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 19th, 2021, 9:12 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
And another word for such an assumption, given that it's being used to predict future events, is therefore, erm, a 'forecast'....

And if we're all going to be using 'forecasts' of one sort or another, then I'll continue to prefer using those from investment-industry sources that are closer to these companies than I can ever hope to be....

Fair point. Yes by "forecasts" I meant those from "investment-industry sources" (or "The Wise", as pyad once dubbed them?) which imo are a waste of time - another set of numbers I have to go looking up, far less effort to start with those I already have.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 19th, 2021, 10:24 am

Example3: I see dividenddata already has marked down GSK's dividend to 55p, however I have it on a yield of 4.9% today which recognizes that one can still buy the last two dividends due to be paid next January and April for its current financial year before the corporate split happens: ie. 19p + 23p + (19p + 19p)*55/80 = 68.125p (we do not know the new dividend timetables of course but for now one might apportion the aggregate amount quarterly thus). That figure will continue to change again, of course.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”