Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The future of "tobacco" companies

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
csearle
Lemon Quarter

The future of "tobacco" companies

Postby csearle » December 4th, 2021, 10:32 pm

Moderator Message:
Split off from this topic.

I've expressed this before. I am of the opinion that the "baccy" firms are actually in the addiction business and will therefore prosper, regardless of the trajectory of tobacco consumption.

I hold.
Chris
Last edited by csearle on December 5th, 2021, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod box.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Re: IDP's HYP as of 4 Dec 2021

Postby MrFoolish » December 5th, 2021, 7:47 am

csearle wrote:I've expressed this before. I am of the opinion that the "baccy" firms are actually in the addiction business and will therefore prosper, regardless of the trajectory of tobacco consumption.

I hold.
Chris

I'm afraid I don't see that this follows. What other addiction businesses are there? Alcoholic and caffeinated beverages - lots of brand loyalty to get past. Gambling - it has become a technology space which the tobacco companies have no experience in. Vaping - too likely to attract Chinese gadget makers into the market place.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » December 5th, 2021, 8:42 am

MrFoolish wrote:
csearle wrote:I've expressed this before. I am of the opinion that the "baccy" firms are actually in the addiction business and will therefore prosper, regardless of the trajectory of tobacco consumption.

I hold.
Chris

I'm afraid I don't see that this follows. What other addiction businesses are there? Alcoholic and caffeinated beverages - lots of brand loyalty to get past. Gambling - it has become a technology space which the tobacco companies have no experience in. Vaping - too likely to attract Chinese gadget makers into the market place.

Cannabis:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44645569

FD

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » December 5th, 2021, 10:05 am

MrFoolish wrote:
What other addiction businesses are there?

Every business that has to keep paying a dividend, in a way...

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 5th, 2021, 10:12 am

I hold.
Chris

I have a slightly different take on this. I think the baccy firms are in the business of branded legalised recreational drugs.
I think the overlap between cannabis and vaping represents a major opportunity for them.
The prize might go to the one who can establish their vaping delivery system as de facto standard for delivery of multiple recreational drugs.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 5th, 2021, 10:22 am

TUK020 wrote:

I hold.
Chris

I have a slightly different take on this. I think the baccy firms are in the business of branded legalised recreational drugs.
I think the overlap between cannabis and vaping represents a major opportunity for them.
The prize might go to the one who can establish their vaping delivery system as de facto standard for delivery of multiple recreational drugs.

The Daily Mash view of festive activities:
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/lif ... 1203214957

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 5th, 2021, 10:29 am

TUK020 wrote:I have a slightly different take on this. I think the baccy firms are in the business of branded legalised recreational drugs.

While I agree with the possible connection between vaping and cannabis I cannot see why the advantage of this 'delivery system' should pass to a tobacco company. Just consider how relatively simple it is to produce a vaporiser, and how many are already on the market, for example:

https://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/electronic-cigarette-kits

RC

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 5th, 2021, 1:11 pm

funduffer wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:

I hold.

Cannabis:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44645569

Agreed that medical cannabis products are slowly becoming more acceptable to governments and companies like Imperial are starting to move into the area. But especially after the opioid addiction problems there have been in the USA, they're going to be facing uphill battles getting significantly-addictive cannabis products approved for the mass market...

Not saying they won't eventually succeed, but expect there to be significant hurdles along the way.

Gengulphus

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”