Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

BHP Group results for year ending 30 Jun 22.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

BHP Group results for year ending 30 Jun 22.

Postby idpickering » August 16th, 2022, 5:52 am

Safe, reliable production
 There have been no fatalities at BHP for over three-and-a-half-years. High-potential injury frequencyi declined by
30% during the year.
 Our strong focus on safety and health includes the elimination from BHP of sexual harassment, racism and bullying.
We have made strong progress during the year on implementing our suite of critical controls, including increased
security measures, and implementing an alcohol consumption limit across our Minerals Australia villages. We have
also held safety stops across our global workforce focused on preventing this behaviour.
 We achieved our short-term target to maintain operational greenhouse gas emissions at or below 2017 financial year
levels while we continue to grow our business.
 We launched our new social value framework and scorecard that outlines our 2030 goals, metrics and milestones.
Operational excellence: Record sales at Western Australia Iron Ore (WAIO) and record free cash flow generation
 Reliable operational performance at WAIO, with record sales (on a 100% basis) for the third consecutive year and
the South Flank Project ramp up ahead of schedule.
 Escondida achieved record material mined and near-record concentrator throughput.
 Profit from operations of US$34.1 billion, up 34% from the prior year, and record Underlying EBITDAii of
US$40.6 billion at a record marginii of 65% for continuing operations.
 Attributable profit of US$30.9 billion and record Underlying attributable profitii of US$23.8 billion, up 39% from the
prior year for total operations.
 Net operating cash flow of US$29.3 billion and record free cash flowii of US$24.3 billion for continuing operations,
reflects higher coal and copper prices and disciplined cost control.
 We paid US$17.3 billion in tax, royalty and other payments to governments in the 2022 financial year.
iii
Disciplined capital allocation: Production shafts at Jansen complete and Jansen Stage 1 progressing to plan
 Capital and exploration expenditure of US$6.1 billion for continuing operations. Capital and exploration expenditure
is expected to be approximately US$7.6 billion and US$9.0 billion for the 2023 and 2024 financial years.
 The Jansen Stage 1 project is tracking to plan and we are working to bring forward first production into 2026, while
also assessing options to accelerate Jansen Stage 2.
 At WAIO we have revised medium-term production guidance to greater than 300 Mtpa and we are assessing
330 Mtpa expansion alternatives.
 In exploration, we continue to advance copper targets in a number of countries as well as our nickel exploration
programs in Canada and Australia.
 Net debtii at US$0.3 billion, compared to US$4.1 billion at 30 June 2021.
Value and returns: Record US$36.0 billion of total announced returns to shareholders
 The Board has determined to pay a final dividend of US$1.75 per share or US$8.9 billion, which includes an additional
amount of US$0.60 per share (equivalent to US$3.0 billion) above the 50% minimum payout policy. Total cash
dividends announced of US$3.25 per share, equivalent to a 77% payout ratio.
 The merger of BHP’s Petroleum business with Woodside Energy was completed on 1 June 2022 and BHP paid a
fully franked in specie dividend of US$3.86 per share or US$19.6 billion.
 The divestment of BHP’s 80% interest in BMC was completed on 3 May 2022.
 The unification of BHP’s dual listed corporate structure was completed in January 2022.
 Underlying return on capital employedii strengthened to 48.7%.

BHP Chief Executive Officer, Mike Henry:
“BHP delivered strong operational performance and disciplined cost control to realise record underlying earnings of
US$40.6 billion and record free cash flow of US$24.3 billion. We have reduced debt and announced a final dividend of
US$1.75 per share, bringing total cash dividends announced for the full year to a record US$3.25 per share.
BHP’s total economic contribution including payments to employees, suppliers, communities, governments and
shareholders totalled US$78.1 billion. This includes US$17.3 billion paid to governments through taxes and royalties
and US$19.6 billion paid to shareholders after the merger of our Petroleum business with Woodside.
These strong results were due to safe and reliable operations, project delivery and capital discipline, which allowed us
to capture the value of strong commodity prices. BHP remains the lowest cost iron ore producer globally and we
delivered record annual sales from Western Australia Iron Ore.
I am most proud of our safety performance: BHP has now achieved three-and-a-half years without a fatality and the rate
of high-potential injuries has dropped by a third in the past 12 months. We continue to make progress in building
inclusive, diverse and high-performing teams and culture, and we remain unwavering in our focus on eliminating sexual
harassment, bullying and racism from BHP.
BHP enters the 2023 financial year in great shape strategically, operationally and financially, and well prepared to
manage an uncertain near-term environment. During the year, we unified BHP’s corporate structure, merged our
Petroleum business with Woodside, completed the sales of our interests in the BMC and Cerrejón energy coal assets,
and decided to retain and operate our New South Wales Energy Coal business until mine closure in 2030. We have
improved our platform for growth through the Jansen potash project, iron ore and copper.
We are pursuing options to deliver greater value for shareholders by growing the business and our exposure to futurefacing commodities. At Western Australia Iron Ore, the ramp-up of South Flank is ahead of schedule and we have
revised our medium-term production guidance to more than 300 Mtpa. In the 2023 financial year, we are assessing
expansion alternatives to take us toward 330 Mtpa of production.
In Canada, we completed the production shafts at our Jansen potash project and are working to bring forward first
production into 2026, as we assess options to accelerate Stage 2. At the same time, we continue to assess and add to
our options in copper and nickel.
We expect China to emerge as a source of stability for commodity demand in the year ahead, with policy support
progressively taking hold. At the same time, we expect to see a slowdown in advanced economies as monetary policy
tightens, as well as ongoing geopolitical uncertainty and inflationary pressures. The direct and indirect impacts of
Europe’s energy crisis are a particular point of concern. Tight labour markets will remain a challenge for global and local
supply chains. Waves of COVID-19 infection continue to occur in the communities where we operate, and we are
planning accordingly.”

And later;

Dividends
 On 1 June 2022, the merger of BHP’s Petroleum business with Woodside was completed. BHP paid a fully franked
in specie dividend and distributed Woodside shares to eligible BHP shareholders. The implied value of the in specie
dividend was US$19.6 billion or US$3.86 per BHP share.
 We will pay a final dividend of US$1.75 per share or US$8.9 billion, including an additional amount of US$3.0 billion
above the minimum payout policy. This is equivalent to a 76 per cent payout ratioii (2021: 92 per cent).

Item downloadable via here; https://www.bhp.com/investors/financial ... al-reviews

Also posted on Company News here; viewtopic.php?p=522750#p522750

Ian.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Re: BHP Group results for year ending 30 Jun 22.

Postby IanTHughes » August 16th, 2022, 6:21 am

Events in respect of the final dividend                                                                                | Date     
Announcement of currency conversion into RAND | 23-Aug-22
Last day to trade cum dividend on Johannesburg Stock Exchange Limited (JSE) | 30-Aug-22
Ex-dividend Date JSE | 31-Aug-22
Ex-dividend Date Australian Securities Exchange (ASX), London Stock Exchange (LSE) and New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) | 01-Sep-22
Record Date | 02-Sep-22
Announcement of currency conversion into AUD, GBP and NZD | 05-Sep-22
DRP and Currency Election date | 05-Sep-22
Payment Date | 22-Sep-22
DRP Allocation Date | 06-Oct-22

Enjoy!

Ian

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 16th, 2022, 6:51 am

IanTHughes wrote:
Events in respect of the final dividend                                                                                | Date     
Announcement of currency conversion into RAND | 23-Aug-22
Last day to trade cum dividend on Johannesburg Stock Exchange Limited (JSE) | 30-Aug-22
Ex-dividend Date JSE | 31-Aug-22
Ex-dividend Date Australian Securities Exchange (ASX), London Stock Exchange (LSE) and New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) | 01-Sep-22
Record Date | 02-Sep-22
Announcement of currency conversion into AUD, GBP and NZD | 05-Sep-22
DRP and Currency Election date | 05-Sep-22
Payment Date | 22-Sep-22
DRP Allocation Date | 06-Oct-22

Enjoy!

Ian

Thanks for the above information. I tried but failed to find it....my bad. Also dividenddata seems to be having an issue? I get a lot of info via that site.

Ian.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » August 16th, 2022, 9:13 am

Thanks for the above information. I tried but failed to find it....my bad. Also dividenddata seems to be having an issue? I get a lot of info via that site.

Indeed - I just looked and Dividenddata is giving a 503 error. Hopefully it gets sorted soon as I'd only recently found the site but was finding it usefull for info on some of my harder to find dividends (such as ETFs which don't always show up on investegate)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 16th, 2022, 9:17 am

daveh wrote:

Indeed - I just looked and Dividenddata is giving a 503 error. Hopefully it gets sorted soon as I'd only recently found the site but was finding it usefull for info on some of my harder to find dividends (such as ETFs which don't always show up on investegate)

Agreed. Without wanting to drift away from the topic of this thread, I’ve found dividenddata to be a top notch site, until today that is lol.

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 16th, 2022, 9:34 am

Dividend last year was 200 cents for this period. However, for 2022, the total dividend is 325 cents (2021 : 101 cents + 200 cents).

With BHP having moved HQ to Australia, dividenddata probably won't support info on the company. BHP dropped their dual listing.

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/bhp- ... it-matters

p.s. having the same error on the dd website but I seem to remember that BHP was removed from the FTSE100 data section...we can confirm when the dividenddata site is not so busy and the 503 error goes away.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » August 16th, 2022, 9:55 am

If in doubt, go to the horse's mouth ....... in this case, the Company website

https://www.bhp.com/investors/financial ... al-reviews

Enjoy!

Ian

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » August 16th, 2022, 10:09 am

monabri wrote:Dividend last year was 200 cents for this period. However, for 2022, the total dividend is 325 cents (2021 : 101 cents + 200 cents).

Don't forget that there will no doubt be a dividend paid by Woodside Energy Group Ltd (WDS), which holding was generated by BHP earlier this year..

I believe that their half-year results will be out shortly. Last year it was on 17 August (USc 30.00), this year they are due on 30 August.

https://www.woodside.com/investors

Enjoy!

Ian

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » August 16th, 2022, 10:39 am

monabri wrote:Dividend last year was 200 cents for this period. However, for 2022, the total dividend is 325 cents (2021 : 101 cents + 200 cents).

With BHP having moved HQ to Australia, dividenddata probably won't support info on the company. BHP dropped their dual listing.

p.s. having the same error on the dd website but I seem to remember that BHP was removed from the FTSE100 data section...we can confirm when the dividenddata site is not so busy and the 503 error goes away.

Yes the dividend last year was 200c, this year 175c, but as mentioned there will be a dividend from Woodside as well. Also the dollar exchange rate is 'better' now compared to last year such that for me the 175c dividend is likely to be higher in pounds than last years 200c dividend (I calculated this years dividend with an Fx rate of 1:1.20, which may change by the time the real Fx rate is announced on 5 Sep)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 16th, 2022, 12:53 pm

You're correct re BHP and dividenddata not supporting info on the company (BHP). I just had a quick look-see.

Ian.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » August 16th, 2022, 12:56 pm

idpickering wrote:

You're correct re BHP and dividenddata not supporting info on the company (BHP). I just had a quick look-see.

Ian.

I can find it when I look now and it has details of todays dividend announcement, plus the previous 4 dividends in both dollars and sterling

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 16th, 2022, 1:00 pm

daveh wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

I can find it when I look now and it has details of todays dividend announcement, plus the previous 4 dividends in both dollars and sterling

I see it is listed by scanning through the "ex dividend" page. BHP has been removed from the FTSE100 page.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 16th, 2022, 1:13 pm

monabri wrote:
daveh wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

I see it is listed by scanning through the "ex dividend" page. BHP has been removed from the FTSE100 page.

Yep, I see it now. They have them listed as being under "Main Market".Thanks all.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”