Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

12 mistakes to avoid with your HYP

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Re: 12 mistakes to avoid with your HYP

Postby IanTHughes » August 23rd, 2022, 9:57 am

Charlottesquare wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:The original post could have been posted on a much more broadly based Board so as to benefit a wider audience, that is really the point I am trying to make.

So, if it matters to you, why not simply post it on a "more broadly based Board"

Dod101 wrote:However I did not post it so it does not matter.

So, if it does not matter to you, do not bother to post it on a "more broadly based Board"

Make you mind up!

The point is surely that the original post is someone else's post, not Dod101's, and I believe that is the point he is making.

Starting a new thread and/or posting a copy onto whatever board Dod101 believes is more appropriate, is hardly rocket science!

Ian

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » August 23rd, 2022, 10:06 am

IanTHughes wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:The original post could have been posted on a much more broadly based Board so as to benefit a wider audience, that is really the point I am trying to make.

So, if it matters to you, why not simply post it on a "more broadly based Board"

So, if it does not matter to you, do not bother to post it on a "more broadly based Board"

Make you mind up!

The point is surely that the original post is someone else's post, not Dod101's, and I believe that is the point he is making.

Starting a new thread and/or posting a copy onto whatever board Dod101 believes is more appropriate, is hardly rocket science!

Ian

Nobody says it is, but taking A N Other's post and so acting is hardly polite.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » August 23rd, 2022, 10:28 am

Charlottesquare wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

Make you mind up!

Nobody says it is, but taking A N Other's post and so acting is hardly polite.

Writing one's own new post and starting a new thread is too much of a challenge?

Ian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 23rd, 2022, 2:22 pm

Dod101 wrote:
moorfield wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Ah but every investor should have goals. None of this just applies to a HYP.

Indeed. So eventually it should dawn on every (income) investor with long term goals that they don't need a HYP to achieve them (as it has on me). There are alternatives.

Many HYPsters here do not have a plan, they have a hobby, just my own view.

I think that is only too true. A HYP strategy is an easy one to follow with simple rules but I have never followed it, although I do pursue a broad income strategy.

Many investors want an income strategy and yet at this point there can only be a few dozen of them in the UK who practice HYP, which has little or no life outside of TLF. And it is unheard of outside the UK. So you both must clearly be right - the vast majority of income investors prefer other strategies, for all the reasons we don't need to go into again here.

Of course taking the self-examination a little further, one might come to the conclusion that one doesn't necessarily even need an income strategy. For tax reasons I mostly take a LYP approach and it does not cause me any problems with having enough money to live on. My emphasis is on cashflows rather than income per se.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » August 23rd, 2022, 3:34 pm

Lootman wrote:Many investors want an income strategy and yet at this point there can only be a few dozen of them in the UK who practice HYP, which has little or no life outside of TLF. And it is unheard of outside the UK.

Do you have any evidence for that claim or have you simply made it up?

Ian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 23rd, 2022, 3:40 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:Many investors want an income strategy and yet at this point there can only be a few dozen of them in the UK who practice HYP, which has little or no life outside of TLF. And it is unheard of outside the UK.

You want me to provide evidence of people who don't exist?

If you know for a fact that I am wrong then you presumably can demonstrate that by simply pointing out other discussion boards and sites where HYP is actively used and discussed. Which other ones do you personally use?

Pyad used to have a tipsheet that he claimed as evidence for another constituency of HYP interest outside of TMF/TLF. However he gave that up several years ago after admitting that its lack of circulation made it not viable.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » August 23rd, 2022, 3:51 pm

Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

Not at all, all I am asking for is the details of the surveys/polling of investors that you must have done as research into what strategies are used by Income investors in the UK in order for you to know how many people invest in different strategies. If you did no such research, or cannot point to any results from research by others, you are simply making it up!

Ian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 23rd, 2022, 3:57 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

all I am asking for is the details of the surveys/polling of investors that you must have done as research into what strategies are used by Income investors in the UK

I don't know why you feel so threatened by the observation that HYP is a fringe strategy that is followed only by a narrow minority of income investors.

It is not like I claimed that there was anything wrong with the strategy. I merely pointed out the self-evident observation that there is next to zero discussion of it anywhere on the internet other than on TLF. There are no websites, books, journals, periodicals, research studies, brokerage reports on the subject, nothing. Why do those facts make you defensive?

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » August 23rd, 2022, 4:12 pm

Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

all I am asking for is the details of the surveys/polling of investors that you must have done as research into what strategies are used by Income investors in the UK

I don't know why you feel so threatened by the observation that HYP is a fringe strategy that is followed only by a narrow minority of income investors.

It is not like I claimed that there was anything wrong with the strategy. I merely pointed out the self-evident observation that there is next to zero discussion of it anywhere on the internet other than on TLF. There are no websites, books, journals, periodicals, research studies, brokerage reports on the subject, nothing. Why do those facts make you defensive?

In nearly 50 years of working in the Finance sector I can assure you that I have come across thousands of clients that follow an income strategy very like HYP - Big Cap, High Yield, Buy and Forget, Let the Dividends roll in. It is hardly surprising of course as it is a relatively easy mechanism for a non-expert to understand and follow. My mother followed almost an exact copy of HYP over 50 years ago! Your non-existant observations, have provided you with the wrong conclusion. Assuming that is that the conclusion was not made first!

I do believe that your dislike of the HYP strategy has got the better of you and deluded you into making up this kind of nonsense. Why do you have such a bug-bear about HYP and pyad himself? Did he slight you in some way?

Ian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 23rd, 2022, 4:22 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:Do you have any evidence for that claim or have you simply made it up?

In nearly 50 years of working in the Finance sector I can assure you that I have come across thousands of clients that follow an income strategy very like HYP - Big Cap, High Yield, Buy and Forget, Let the Dividends roll in. My mother followed almost an exact copy of HYP over 50 years ago!

I never said dividend investing was unpopular. I said this one specific variant of it is.

In my 40 years of being involved in the finance sector I never encountered someone who actually ran a HYP. Only on TMF and TLF.

The funny thing is that like you I also use an investing strategy that is not very popular. But instead of feeling threatened or undermined by that fact, I actually welcome it. Its lack of popularity is exactly what provides me with opportunities. if everyone did it then it would not work because the relevant securities would be over-valued.

Moderator Message:
Edited to remove one sentence. --MDW1954.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » August 23rd, 2022, 4:29 pm

Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:You want me to provide evidence of people who don't exist?

In nearly 50 years of working in the Finance sector I can assure you that I have come across thousands of clients that follow an income strategy very like HYP - Big Cap, High Yield, Buy and Forget, Let the Dividends roll in. My mother followed almost an exact copy of HYP over 50 years ago!

I never said dividend investing was unpopular. I said this one specific variant of it is.

In my 40 years of being involved in the finance sector I never encountered someone who actually ran a HYP. Only on TMF and TLF.

The funny thing is that like you I also use an investing strategy that is not very popular. But instead of feeling threatened or undermined by that fact, I actually welcome it. Its lack of popularity is exactly what provides me with opportunities. if everyone did it then it would not work because the relevant securities would be over-valued.

I was simply pointing out that people have been investing this way for generations. In my mother's case, it was her father - my grandfather - a stockbroker, that built up the portfolio of about 20 shares, all paying healthy dividends. My mother inherited it. Your assertion that the total number of such investors was but a few dozen is made-up nonsense, done no doubt in order to fit in with your dislike of the strategy! Seriously, do the research, then draw the conclusions!

Ian
Last edited by IanTHughes on August 23rd, 2022, 4:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 23rd, 2022, 4:35 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:all I am asking for is the details of the surveys/polling of investors that you must have done as research into what strategies are used by Income investors in the UK

But if you are claiming that your mother invented HYP in the 1970s then that would explain your sensitivity about the topic.

I was simply pointing out that people have been investing this way for generations.

I agree, just not in this specific way, which dates back to about 1999 or so, from my memory of TMF anyway.

But if your point is that Pyad's HYP really isn't that innovative or special then again we can agree.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 23rd, 2022, 4:46 pm

Moderator Message:
This topic has drifted so far away from the original post's subject that it needs to be closed. It has also become acrimonious.

TJH

Moderator Message:
Subsequent to its closure, I have removed one particular tendentious and arguably personal attack, to keep the record clear for future readers. --MDW1954

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”