Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HSBC Annual Results 2019 media release

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

HSBC Annual Results 2019 media release

Postby idpickering » February 18th, 2020, 5:22 am

2019 RESULTS – HIGHLIGHTS
Noel Quinn, Group Chief Executive, said:
“The Group’s 2019 performance was resilient, however parts of our business are not delivering acceptable returns. We are therefore
outlining a revised plan to increase returns for investors, create the capacity for future investment, and build a platform for sustainable
growth. We have already begun to implement this plan, which my management team and I are committed to executing at pace.”
2019 financial performance (vs 2018)
• Reported profit attributable to ordinary shareholders down 53% to $6.0bn, materially impacted by a goodwill impairment of
$7.3bn. Reported profit before tax down 33% to $13.3bn. Reported revenue up 4% and reported operating expenses up 22% due to a
goodwill impairment of $7.3bn.
• Goodwill impairment of $7.3bn, primarily $4.0bn related to Global Banking and Markets (‘GB&M’) and $2.5bn in Commercial
Banking (‘CMB’) in Europe. This reflected lower long-term economic growth rate assumptions, and additionally for GB&M, the planned
reshaping of the business.
• Adjusted revenue up 5.9% to $55.4bn and adjusted profit before tax up 5% to $22.2bn, reflecting good revenue growth in
Retail Banking and Wealth Management (‘RBWM’), Global Private Banking (‘GPB’) and CMB, together with improved cost control.
• Adjusted revenue in Asia up 7% to $30.5bn and adjusted profit before tax up 6% to $18.6bn. Within this, there was a resilient
performance by Hong Kong, with adjusted profit before tax up 5% to $12.1bn.
• Adjusted expected credit losses and other credit impairment charges (‘ECL’) up $1.1bn to $2.8bn from higher charges in
CMB and RBWM.
• Positive adjusted jaws of 3.1%, reflecting improving cost discipline. Adjusted operating expense growth of 2.8%, well below
the growth rate in 2018 (compared with 2017).
• Return on average tangible equity (‘RoTE’) down 20 basis points (‘bps’) to 8.4%, supported by a resilient Hong Kong
performance.
• Earnings per share of $0.30, including a $0.36 per share impact of the goodwill impairment. Dividends per share in respect of
2019 of $0.51.
• We continue to monitor the recent coronavirus outbreak, which is causing economic disruption in Hong Kong and mainland China and
may impact performance in 2020.
4Q19 financial performance

And later;

Fourth interim dividend for 2019

After the end of the year, the Directors declared a fourth interim dividend in respect of the financial year ended 31 December 2019 of
$0.21 per ordinary share, a distribution of approximately $4,266m. The fourth interim dividend will be payable on 14 April 2020 to holders
on the Principal Register in the UK, the Hong Kong Overseas Branch Register or the Bermuda Overseas Branch Register on 28 February
2020. No liability was recorded in the financial statements in respect of the fourth interim dividend for 2019.
The dividend will be payable in US dollars, pounds sterling or Hong Kong dollars, or a combination of these currencies, at the forward
exchange rates quoted by HSBC Bank plc in London at or about 11.00am on 30 March 2020. A scrip dividend will also be offered.
Particulars of these arrangements will be sent to shareholders on or about 11 March 2020 and elections must be received
by 26 March 2020. The ordinary shares in London, Hong Kong, Paris and Bermuda, and American Depositary Shares (‘ADSs’) in New
York will be quoted ex-dividend on 27 February 2020.

https://www.hsbc.com/investors/results- ... ouncements

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: HSBC Annual Results 2019 media release

Postby idpickering » February 18th, 2020, 7:03 am

For that prefer it, the RNS in relation to this is here;

https://www.investegate.co.uk/hsbc-hold ... 00012736D/

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 18th, 2020, 7:15 am

Thanks Ian.
I cannot see this statement being welcomed by the markets Yet more impairments, and another year of a held dividend and a hint of at least another two years whilst they implement yet another restructuring.

No word on a permanent CEO.Suspension of share buybacks even to cover shares issued as scrip dividends.

All pretty depressing to me.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 18th, 2020, 7:27 am

Dod101 wrote:Thanks Ian.
I cannot see this statement being welcomed by the markets Yet more impairments, and another year of a held dividend and a hint of at least another two years whilst they implement yet another restructuring.

No word on a permanent CEO.Suspension of share buybacks even to cover shares issued as scrip dividends.

All pretty depressing to me.

Dod

Agreed Dod, and you’re welcome. In fact they’ve been performing weakly on the Hong Kong market. Thanks once again for reminding me that this announcement was coming up. Glad I didn’t top up on these this month.

I guess some might be tempted to top up their holdings on these should they be lower on opening in UK?

I like that they’re becoming more focussed in Asia, but the buy backs issue isn’t good. I suppose we should commend the management for doing their job? They’ve been harsh.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 18th, 2020, 7:36 am

I suppose we should but the fact is that this bank has been restructuring ever since the financial crisis in 2008/9. Remember that Stuart Gulliver, the CEO before the now gone John Flint spent years 'simplifying' the bank. That led to the dividend being held some years back. Then we had John Flint who proclaimed a return to growth and the share price briefly ticked up to well over £7. That was all too much for Tucker who quickly poured water on that by sacking Flint and returning to austerity. I am planning to attend their AGM and complaining to him.

And now we have even a suspension of share buybacks but issuing new shares will continue for those who want scrip meaning more strain on the dividend. It really is getting beyond a joke.

Dod

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » February 18th, 2020, 8:29 am

A 8.4% ROE is not too impressive. Is it even a real profit above cost of capital?

Best wishes

Mark

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 18th, 2020, 8:38 am

I'm surprised that the shareprice hasn't been hit a lot harder.

Results are 'pre-Covid-19' so I guess that we should buckle up for further storms ahead.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 18th, 2020, 9:00 am

monabri wrote:I'm surprised that the shareprice hasn't been hit a lot harder.

Results are 'pre-Covid-19' so I guess that we should buckle up for further storms ahead.

I suppose the dividend yield will put some sort of floor under the share price. Then of course they might cut the dividend.

Dod

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » February 18th, 2020, 9:11 am

Dod101 wrote:
I suppose the dividend yield will put some sort of floor under the share price. Then of course they might cut the dividend.

Dod

Perhaps cutting the dividend is beyond the pay-grade of an interim Chief Executive. Leave it to the new guy to kitchen sink the dividend.

FD

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 18th, 2020, 10:56 am

Down over 6% -hard enough for you :)

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 18th, 2020, 11:30 am

Well I was staggered this morning to find out that HSBC has around 235,000 employees worldwide - that's about the same as Apple and Alphabet combined. What a bloated and overweight organisation... and I heard someone say on R4 this morning that laying off 35,000 was a savage cut. Surely there must be more savage cuts to come?

All the best, Si

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 18th, 2020, 11:44 am

Arborbridge wrote:

For what it's worth, I'm doing nothing with my HSBC shares today. I'm trying to think longer term, and am grateful that these are only one of my 29 holdings in my HYP. Praise be to the HYP rule to diversify. :) They (HSBC) sit alongside Lloyds in mine, with the later being down over 1%. Anyway, in short, disappointing though the sp performance of HSBC is today, let's concentrate on the income, and think long term. Remain focused all.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 18th, 2020, 11:59 am

simoan wrote:Well I was staggered this morning to find out that HSBC has around 235,000 employees worldwide - that's about the same as Apple and Alphabet combined. What a bloated and overweight organisation... and I heard someone say on R4 this morning that laying off 35,000 was a savage cut. Surely there must be more savage cuts to come?

All the best, Si

It may be but without knowing the numbers employed by some of its competitors I would not know. They have in recent years had to beef up the number of compliance officers and so on worldwide so it is not quite as straightforward as you might think to reduce numbers. In fact they have said that reducing numbers can only be achieved by selling businesses, and there certainly was talk of selling their French operations and reducing their presence in the US.

In the Far East there are still a very large number of branches and people still visit their branches so there is not the same scope as in the UK to close branches. We are for instance just about to lose our last bank branch in our little village which will make the nearest branch of any bank at least 15 miles away which does not bother me but will bother some I have no doubt.

The low ROE which someone mentioned is probably caused by the fact that they have very high reserves as befits a conservatively run operation like HSBC.

Dod

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 18th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Dod101 wrote:It may be but without knowing the numbers employed by some of its competitors I would not know.
Dod

I wasn't looking to compare number of employees with other banks, which I am sure are just as bad. It was just an observation that we are always told how "expensive" the large US technology companies look when compared to good old fashioned UK value shares, like HSBC, but when you look at revenue generated per employee by the very biggest companies in these new industries, we can maybe see why that is...

BTW sorry I just realised I was posting on the HYP board, so this type of discussion is of no interest!

All the best, Si

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 18th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Personally I think this is just the sort of thing that should be posted on the HYP P Board. I cannot think why it should not be.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm

simoan wrote:Well I was staggered this morning to find out that HSBC has around 235,000 employees worldwide - that's about the same as Apple and Alphabet combined. What a bloated and overweight organisation... and I heard someone say on R4 this morning that laying off 35,000 was a savage cut. Surely there must be more savage cuts to come?

All the best, Si

I don't follow the logic. It's true that HSBC might be bloated - in fact we can take it, is bloated because they've admitted it. But one cannot logically conclude that from just knowing how many employees it has. How on earth would anyone know how many employees a company should have? It's hardly a corner shop with an owner employee running it :roll:
And one cannot compare it with businesses in other sectors like Apple: the requirement for personel will be entirely different and Apple or Alphabet may well outsource many of their activities to an army of uncounted employees,

Arb.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 18th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I don't follow the logic. It's true that HSBC might be bloated - in fact we can take it, is bloated because they've admitted it. But one cannot logically conclude that from just knowing how many employees it has. How on earth would anyone know how many employees a company should have? It's hardly a corner shop with an owner employee running it :roll:
And one cannot compare it with businesses in other sectors like Apple: the requirement for personel will be entirely different and Apple or Alphabet may well outsource many of their activities to an army of uncounted employees,

Arb.

Well, it's a fairly crude measure I admit, but net income per employee is a good indication of the margins enjoyed by a company given the wage bill is deducted directly from the top line. And to be honest, I don't see the need for your sarcastic tone or that stupid rolled eyes emoji. Why is this board always so unfriendly?

The bottom line is that HSBC is a low quality business that makes poor returns, with a share price that has gone nowhere in 20 years. People just seem to be hanging onto the hope a new CEO does not carve the dividend in half. One more set of results like today's and I'd say a cut is highly likely.

All the best, Si

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 18th, 2020, 2:05 pm

The trouble with HSBC is that it has never recovered from the takeover spree in the first decade of this century. It had had a very strong decade in the 1990s when it took over Midland and strong leadership from the last good executive chairman, Sir William Purves. It then took Stuart Gulliver another decade to simplify the business and now the new chairman seems to have decided that it needs even more upheaval.

The detractors should remember that because of its innate conservatism it is one of the few banks that emerged form the financial crisis of 2008/9 more or less unscathed. Being over capitalised and with a conservative attitude has some benefits and people tend to forget that in better times.

I am not convinced by today's announcements though and think they wold have been better to have scrapped the scrip dividend because it will simply put even more pressure on the dividend.

Dod

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » February 18th, 2020, 2:11 pm

idpickering wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

For what it's worth, I'm doing nothing with my HSBC shares today. I'm trying to think longer term, and am grateful that these are only one of my 29 holdings in my HYP. Praise be to the HYP rule to diversify. :) They (HSBC) sit alongside Lloyds in mine, with the later being down over 1%. Anyway, in short, disappointing though the sp performance of HSBC is today, let's concentrate on the income, and think long term. Remain focused all.

Ian.

That would presumably be the income that has remained unchanged in nominal terms for the last five years. What is that in real terms, a 12% drop? Looking at the results announcement I can see little chance of an increase in the nominal income from HSBC any time soon, so in real terms it will continue to fall.

That is not to say you are not right to hang on to the shares, just that I think you should not take too much comfort from the income HSBC is providing. But better than a lot of the shares that have cut which I seem to own of course.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 18th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:The trouble with HSBC is that it has never recovered from the takeover spree in the first decade of this century. It had had a very strong decade in the 1990s when it took over Midland and strong leadership from the last good executive chairman, Sir William Purves. It then took Stuart Gulliver another decade to simplify the business and now the new chairman seems to have decided that it needs even more upheaval.

The detractors should remember that because of its innate conservatism it is one of the few banks that emerged form the financial crisis of 2008/9 more or less unscathed. Being over capitalised and with a conservative attitude has some benefits and people tend to forget that in better times.

I am not convinced by today's announcements though and think they wold have been better to have scrapped the scrip dividend because it will simply put even more pressure on the dividend.

Dod

The real problem is much more basic though... banking has changed greatly since the GFC and will never be as profitable as it was in the past. A Return on Equity of sub 10% is pathetic. The US showed the way to go when the government forced their banks to cut hard and fast immediately after the crisis. This was not the case outside the US and so we ended up with lots of zombie-like banks.

There is no obligation for any private investor to invest in the shares of banks although it seems to be part of the standard HYP rules/dogma.

All the best, Si

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”