Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

What are you buying today?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: What are you buying today?

Postby Itsallaguess » March 21st, 2020, 4:51 pm

funduffer wrote:
In the USA, 20% of calories are consumed eating out in restaurants or cafes. I don't know the percentage in the UK, but I am guessing it must be about 15%.

That is, 15% of all calories that will now have to be consumed using food from supermarkets rather than restaurants/cafes.

That is a huge boost in income over the next 3-4 months for the likes of Morrisons, Sainsburys (>5% yield) and Tesco if they can stock the shelves fast enough.

Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Secretary George Eustice said earlier today that £1Bn worth of extra food has been purchased and brought into peoples homes in the past three weeks that has yet to be consumed...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » March 21st, 2020, 5:02 pm

20% less calories wouldn't do them any harm, would it.

Sorry for off topic, W.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » March 21st, 2020, 5:10 pm

funduffer wrote:In the USA, 20% of calories are consumed eating out in restaurants or cafes. I don't know the percentage in the UK, but I am guessing it must be about 15%.

That is, 15% of all calories that will now have to be consumed using food from supermarkets rather than restaurants/cafes.

That is a huge boost in income over the next 3-4 months for the likes of Morrisons, Sainsburys (>5% yield) and Tesco if they can stock the shelves fast enough.

Also Aldi/Lidl don't deliver, so may lose custom from those stuck at home.

Also, I can't see Vodafone's business (>7% yield) being damaged much by the virus. People will talk more by phone, and use internet etc....

Maybe that's why their yields look so modest!

Just a few thoughts!

FD

On a BBC report yesterday evening I heard the closure of Pubs and Restaurants would result in 25% of food and drink consumption being transferred from the leisure sector to food retailers. I don't know if that is 25% by value or volume.

In the case of Tesco how much business will their Booker wholesaler lose if it supplied eat out establishments?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 21st, 2020, 5:37 pm

Wizard wrote:On a BBC report yesterday evening I heard the closure of Pubs and Restaurants would result in 25% of food and drink consumption being transferred from the leisure sector to food retailers. I don't know if that is 25% by value or volume.

In the case of Tesco how much business will their Booker wholesaler lose if it supplied eat out establishments?

Don't Booker supply a lot of convenience stores? Probably a good bet?

TJH

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » March 21st, 2020, 7:12 pm

Having faced a row of empty shelves at Asda, I went to Waitrose and there were quite a few jars of potted crab with brown shrimp still available. Should make for interesting sandwiches over the next week or so.

Cheers, OLTB.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » March 21st, 2020, 9:41 pm

Sorry for the above post - I just saw the thread name, talk about food etc. and didn’t think before posting. I blame a dodgy shrimp.

Not in the least bit HYP Practical :oops:

Have a good weekend everyone

Cheers, OLTB.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 21st, 2020, 10:49 pm

In the wonderful world of mobile phones, we're seeing 'unprecedented' levels of voice traffic. Not so much increase in data traffic. We are in a 'work from home' regime now, but obviously not possible for NMC/data centre staff, or shop staff.

miner1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby miner1000 » March 22nd, 2020, 1:52 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:In the wonderful world of mobile phones, we're seeing 'unprecedented' levels of voice traffic. Not so much increase in data traffic. We are in a 'work from home' regime now, but obviously not possible for NMC/data centre staff, or shop staff.

Actually, where I live (Australia) we are seeing big increases in both voice and data traffic. So I would (if I were buying) buy Supermarkets (IC recommends Tesco and Morrison) and good digital Data and Voice providers such as Vodafone (which by the way, is no longer available for a quid). 8-)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 24th, 2020, 8:46 pm

I suppose Booker can simply supply the food they supply to restaurants to Tesco instead and if all the supermarkets are pinching the trade from Lidl and Aldi, profits should go up even if that is only temporary. I hold Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrison, so hopefully will see a bounce from them. Should I buy more as I have spare cash in my ISAs? I am too shell shocked by all my losses, which have more than wiped out my excellent return last year, to know what to do. I don't understand the market moves, like the prices of all those who have axed their dividends shooting up. I can see that it conserves cash in the business but it hardly makes them attractive to those needing an income. Those pensioners or early retirees who rely on dividends to cover their needs and don't have much in the way of cash reserves are going to be very hard hit. Just as well I have other sources of income, including an annuity, which presumably is safe, as well as uninvested dividends and can ride out the storm, though I think this will go on for some time, and despite self-isolation (little change there) and much hand washing, the way things are going personal survival is not guaranteed.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the sunshine and working in my beautiful garden far more than pondering pointlessly over shares. I did consider topping up my Burberry when I read that it might cut its dividend as the worst seems to be over in China but never got round to it. I see that it went up over 15% today. Missed opportunity or will it be down again tomorrow? Haven't a clue and no point in wasting time working out by how much my losses have reduced with today's rise.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 25th, 2020, 9:02 am

I suspect that the index has bottomed, so I've got my buying hat on today. Shane to miss the exact bottom, but heyho.

The process will shortly be curtailed by the arrival of the electrician, but so far AV.A, SMDS Smith DS, MUT, PF21.
Perhaps a fall tomorrow.

Timing the market? I hope.

V8

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 25th, 2020, 9:18 am

88V8 wrote:I suspect that the index has bottomed, so I've got my buying hat on today. Shane to miss the exact bottom, but heyho.

Market timing? Here, on HYP Practical ?

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 25th, 2020, 9:34 am

88V8 wrote:I suspect that the index has bottomed, so I've got my buying hat on today

Now if you'd thought that a day earlier, you'd have been 10% richer!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 25th, 2020, 9:36 am

"None of the above"...

I am looking for income and with all these dividend cuts I'm making top ups "elsewhere " but that's off topic.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 25th, 2020, 11:36 am

Bouleversee wrote:
I don't understand the market moves, like the prices of all those who have axed their dividends shooting up. I can see that it conserves cash in the business but it hardly makes them attractive to those needing an income.

Such moves aren't intended to be aimed at making them attractive to such holders. They demonstrate a management willing to make difficult decisions, and signals such companies are more likely, than others, to survive. That's what HYP - Practical has to mean at the moment, staying invested in companies that will survive and provide future income streams, not in those that will suffer permanent capital losses and the ability to generate future income streams.

blobby
2 Lemon pips

Postby blobby » March 25th, 2020, 1:33 pm

88V8 wrote:I suspect that the index has bottomed, so I've got my buying hat on today. Shane to miss the exact bottom, but heyho.

The index went to 3500 in both 2003 and 2009. There has been little inflation since then and I see this as a bigger crisis. In two weeks time when we are where Italy is now I'm expecting to the FTSE to be lower than today. This is not going up or down in a straight line and the crisis is not going away any time soon, like in any war inflation will follow.

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » March 25th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Buying BATs. I see no reason for them to cut the divi. Smokers are still smoking Virus or no virus!

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 25th, 2020, 4:08 pm

flyer61 wrote:Buying BATs. I see no reason for them to cut the divi. Smokers are still smoking Virus or no virus!

They are certainly on my list of shares to top up. My only bet in the smoking area after having dropped Imperial Brands not long ago.

Ian.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 25th, 2020, 4:09 pm

flyer61 wrote:Buying BATs. I see no reason for them to cut the divi. Smokers are still smoking Virus or no virus!

Well perhaps not, if they cotton on that they are one of the most at risk groups of people ....

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » March 25th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Moorfield.......no worries on that account!

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » March 25th, 2020, 4:30 pm

miner1000 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:In the wonderful world of mobile phones, we're seeing 'unprecedented' levels of voice traffic. Not so much increase in data traffic. We are in a 'work from home' regime now, but obviously not possible for NMC/data centre staff, or shop staff.

Actually, where I live (Australia) we are seeing big increases in both voice and data traffic. So I would (if I were buying) buy Supermarkets (IC recommends Tesco and Morrison) and good digital Data and Voice providers such as Vodafone (which by the way, is no longer available for a quid). 8-)

I think Tesco is going to do particularly well.

I couldn't help notice after they said they would 'reduce lines' to speed up getting stock, they appear to have got rid of the budget ranges and replaced with premium.

My local Tesco's normally has pretty large boxes of own brand cornflakes for only 75p (actually pretty good and I'm normally well stocked up normally on them, and they're normally half the price of the Morrison's equivalent own brand size last time I checked prior to the crisis)..

.. went there last night, and no shelf space there for those own brand any more at all... all replaced by stacks and stacks of branded Kellogs cornflakes filling the area at around £2.40 for a similar size box. You want cornflakes, you're gonna have to pay!

That said, they seemed largely untouched (by me included!)... maybe it'll backfire on them...

I also feel their 'rationing' is probably more of a sales scam than anything helpful.

I mean limiting _everything_ to max 3 per customer meant I couldn't even do my normal shop for 1 person, let alone buy a little extra to allow me to reduce my number of shops.

If anything, ensuring people can't stock up is potentially going to *increase* supermarket visits, just at a time they *should* be helping people *reduce* the need to shop so often. God knows how a family of 4 with hungry kids would get on … I mean, they'll probably need to be making a supermarket visit every day thanks to the 3 item limit!!

But from the shops point of view, each time you go, the majority of people always buy more (other) stuff while they're there to make the journey worth while. So limiting maximum numbers of individual items is going to ensure people make more trips, which then equals more sales of the extras. Or push people into buying neighbouring items that will probably be more expensive, etc.

Their abolition of multi-buy offers - of course because they wouldn't want to encourage bulk buying, I mean, that could mean shoppers needing to shop less often, and we don't want that do we, even though there's allegedly no supply problems! - but it also means higher margins for the supermarket.

Removing multibuy and other offer prices is a good way of putting up prices without being seen to raise prices.

Add it all together - low margin lines scrapped + item quantity limits ensuring the need for more supermarket trips (or purchase of other likely more expensive items) + reduction / elimination of offers, and I think Tesco are going to do pretty nicely (imv for the wrong reasons, but hey)... they just have to watch how they manage their PR.

(I notice amazon seems to be doing similar - many of the things on my wishlist that I just monitor as 'maybe' purchases - have either completely lost any reductions, or the reductions aren't as low as they were prior to the crisis … except for emergency, I doubt I'll be buying anything from amazon until things start to get back to normal)

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”