Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

High Yield Puntfolio

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
dundas666
2 Lemon pips

High Yield Puntfolio

Postby dundas666 » April 7th, 2020, 12:37 pm

I've got this year's ISA allowance to invest (x2) and instead of doing the usual sector-weighted top-ups, I was wondering whether in 12 months time I would look back and think I was stupid not to have bought or topped up certain shares when it was obvious (in retrospect ;) ) they were screaming bargains in April 2020, and a great opportunity to nab a premium yield.

At the moment I'm thinking of going temporarily overweight in Shell, HSBC, Phoenix and Legal & General in my High Yield Puntfolio.

In 12 months time, which shares do you think you will regret not having topped up, or added to your HYP?

Walrus101
Lemon Pip

Re: High Yield Puntfolio

Postby Walrus101 » April 7th, 2020, 9:59 pm

dundas666 wrote:I've got this year's ISA allowance to invest (x2) and instead of doing the usual sector-weighted top-ups, I was wondering whether in 12 months time I would look back and think I was stupid not to have bought or topped up certain shares when it was obvious (in retrospect ;) ) they were screaming bargains in April 2020, and a great opportunity to nab a premium yield.

At the moment I'm thinking of going temporarily overweight in Shell, HSBC, Phoenix and Legal & General in my High Yield Puntfolio.

In 12 months time, which shares do you think you will regret not having topped up, or added to your HYP?

Loaded up on

Shell
L and G
Bland

Looking at NG and HSBC

I'd say wait, I expect the prices to fall again. Shell and LG got so cheap though I had to buy. Now less so
Last edited by tjh290633 on April 8th, 2020, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tag corrected - TJH

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 7th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Walrus101 wrote:I'd say wait, I expect the prices to fall again. Shell and LG got so cheap though I had to buy. Now less so

I also bought them and wish I'd bought more.
Unfortunately I don't expect another fall - but you think this is a large dead cat - why ?

V8

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » April 8th, 2020, 12:31 am

88V8 wrote:
Walrus101 wrote:I'd say wait, I expect the prices to fall again. Shell and LG got so cheap though I had to buy. Now less so

Unfortunately I don't expect another fall - but you think this is a large dead cat - why ?

V8

I agree, I don't see another big fall without new bad news. That could be escalating issues in US, second wave in China now resyrictions are being lifted or something else. But without anoyher issue I do not see new lows any time soon. My big move was not HYP but buying a big slug of passive trackers last Friday about equal in size to my whole HYP, but off topic for here.

Walrus101
Lemon Pip

Postby Walrus101 » April 8th, 2020, 2:49 am

Wizard wrote:
88V8 wrote:

V8

I agree, I don't see another big fall without new bad news. That could be escalating issues in US, second wave in China now resyrictions are being lifted or something else. But without anoyher issue I do not see new lows any time soon. My big move was not HYP but buying a big slug of passive trackers last Friday about equal in size to my whole HYP, but off topic for here.

Just my suspicion that when results starts coming in the market will react negatively. I also think we will need to get used to a new world of lockdown, freedom, lockdown for up to 2 years. I think there will be opportunities to buy lower. We'll see.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 8th, 2020, 6:04 am

Walrus101 wrote:
Shell
L and G
Bland

Looking at NG and HSBC

I'd say wait, I expect the prices to fall again. Shell and LG got so cheap though I had to buy. Now less so

I bought more LGEN in Jan, RDSB in Feb and Mar. I mentioned here recently that I don't mind being overweight temporarily on those two. I had already topped up my HSBC holdings last Dec. That was unfortunate timing maybe. I topped up BLND 3 times last year and am at my maximum spend on them. Currently I'm Pickering over buying either BP., or AV. for this months bet. Either way, I'm fairly relaxed about the current market, and get that it will recover at some point hopefully. And am happily buying my favourite HYP shares while they're cheap, and thinking longer term than just this recent state of the markets.

Ian.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 8th, 2020, 7:24 am

many people are topping up on the obvious favourites like legal , shell , NG etc .

the market may well drop again due to upcoming explosion of deaths in the US of all places.

also lockdown will be with us in various versions until a vaccine is working .

:(

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » April 8th, 2020, 8:18 am

Walrus101 wrote:
Wizard wrote:
88V8 wrote:

V8

Just my suspicion that when results starts coming in the market will react negatively. I also think we will need to get used to a new world of lockdown, freedom, lockdown for up to 2 years. I think there will be opportunities to buy lower. We'll see.

All down to persinal feel, I agree 2 years of on-off lockdown resulting from second, third... wave would take us lower.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 8th, 2020, 10:15 am

With the news of dividend cancellations from AV. and SMDS this morning, and the substantial increase in the TSCO final, they now rank third for topping up in my portfolio, behind SSE and PSON. Unthinkable a few weeks ago.

TJH

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » April 8th, 2020, 10:54 am

Well I've taken the plunge and I've ....
1) topped up: Shell, HSBC, Legal & General, Aviva, British Land and Phoenix
2) added: IMI, Direct Line, Chesnara, Smith (DS) and also Henderson Far East Income and Greencoat UK Wind

BTW I know Aviva, DS Smith and Direct Line have joined the list of suspenders, but I'm at the stage of growing my HYP so I'm happy to miss out on a few dividends in the expectation that in a year's time most will have resumed payments, hopefully at the same levels, bagging me a nice 8% yield in the process.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 8th, 2020, 11:41 am

dundas666 wrote:
BTW I know Aviva, DS Smith and Direct Line have joined the list of suspenders, but I'm at the stage of growing my HYP so I'm happy to miss out on a few dividends in the expectation that in a year's time most will have resumed payments, hopefully at the same levels, bagging me a nice 8% yield in the process.

As a reminder from the board guidance
For the HYP Practical board we define a HYP as a portfolio comprised exclusively of ordinary shares. If selected, such shares should have a dividend yield above the average for the FTSE100 index and be drawn from the constituents of the FTSE 350 index.

I expect those plays could come good as income investments in the future, hopefully the near future as they are all shares I already hold in my HYP like other cutters/suspenders but I'd not top them up nor be buying them for a fledgling HYP today.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » April 8th, 2020, 11:47 am

dundas666 wrote:, but I'm at the stage of growing my HYP so I'm happy to miss out on a few dividends in the expectation that in a year's time most will have resumed payments, hopefully at the same levels, bagging me a nice 8% yield in the process.

You'd be wise to lower your expectations.

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » April 8th, 2020, 12:01 pm

moorfield wrote:
dundas666 wrote:, but I'm at the stage of growing my HYP so I'm happy to miss out on a few dividends in the expectation that in a year's time most will have resumed payments, hopefully at the same levels, bagging me a nice 8% yield in the process.

You'd be wise to lower your expectations.

Yes I fully expect in 12 months time that some of my shares, maybe even most of them, may not have resumed dividend payments, or may have rebased them at a lower level.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 8th, 2020, 1:02 pm

tjh290633 wrote:With the news of dividend cancellations from AV. and SMDS this morning, and the substantial increase in the TSCO final, they now rank third for topping up in my portfolio, behind SSE and PSON. Unthinkable a few weeks ago.

TJH

Isn't the yield too low still?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 8th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:With the news of dividend cancellations from AV. and SMDS this morning, and the substantial increase in the TSCO final, they now rank third for topping up in my portfolio, behind SSE and PSON. Unthinkable a few weeks ago.

TJH

It is now my median yield at 4.1%, which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 8th, 2020, 5:59 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

TJH

It is now my median yield at 4.1%, which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

TJH

Ooh... 4.1% I hadn't noticed, Yes, It's come into "possible" territory and it's actually No 9 in my topup table. As you say, unthinkable a few weeks ago. Although it's still below what is nominally my minimum yield of 4.8%

Arb.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”