Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Marston's (MARS)

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Re: Marston's (MARS)

Postby MDW1954 » July 25th, 2020, 10:04 pm

Wizard wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Averaged up on these, doubling my position today. Anyone else buying more?

GS

Not me, I am up to my limit for any one share in terms of portfolio cost. I last topped them up in February 2019 at 99p. In any case I would not top up until they resume paying dividends, but at these prices they are a tempting morsel.

TJH

I have been keeping an eye on the pubs in our village, there are three in dog walking distance. All have now reopened, but based on the times I have been past them none of them seems to be doing a huge amount of business. Our village is not big enough to support three pubs and they have all had a reasonable amount of people who drive to them in the past, mainly as they all serve decent food. I am not sure if it is local trade they are lacking or business from people coming from further afield. The one we have historically used most put an online booking system in place when they reopened two weeks ago, but currently if you walk past there are always tables outside free and they will happily accomodate spur of the moment trade.

Based on this very limited and totally unscientific sample I am not sure the reopening of pubs has been quite what was hoped for, certainly not for the ones near us anyway. I wonder how it is going elsewhere. At this stage I am not convinced I would want to put money in to a hospitality business. In time things will get better and shares will recover and dividends probably start being paid, but I fear some may go under before then.

Wizard,

This post has been reported as "off topic". I judge it not to be, and I'd like to thank you for posting it. Personally, I'm not visiting a couple of hostelries where I'm something of a regular, so I'm glad to read reports from the front line, so to speak.

I think it will be quite a while before trade recovers, but so far I'm quietly pleased. At least with pubs able to trade, losses can be staunched, although profits may be some time coming.

Broadly, I agree with your assessment.

MDW1954

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 9th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Announced today that the CMA has given approval for the deal. Marston's up 20% as a result.

TJH

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » October 9th, 2020, 5:21 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Announced today that the CMA has given approval for the deal. Marston's up 20% as a result.

TJH

Or put another way, 24% down on the price it closed at on the day the deal was announced, having steadily drifted down ever since. Which makes it down about 70% over five years.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”