Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

PYAD HYP 2019_04 REINVEST – Year Two - Commentary

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

PYAD HYP 2019_04 REINVEST – Year Two - Commentary

Postby IanTHughes » July 4th, 2020, 8:44 pm

The latest update for this HYP constructed by pyad, as recorded on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16868&start=140

Has been posted here: viewtopic.php?p=323789#p323789

Further details of how updates are to be made to this portfolio can be found on this thread: viewtopic.php?p=218513#p218513

Comments are of course welcome although it would be appreciated if they were confined to this thread, leaving the main thread to simply record all actions taken and the progress of the portfolio.

Ian

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: PYAD HYP 2019_04 REINVEST – Year Two - Commentary

Postby PinkDalek » July 5th, 2020, 12:57 am

IanTHughes wrote:The latest update for this HYP constructed by pyad, as recorded on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16868&start=140

Has been posted here: viewtopic.php?p=323789#p323789 ]

Now here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22901&p=323792#p323792 ?

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 5th, 2020, 7:49 am

All these links to where you are supposed to post... it's like trying to follow spaghetti code full of GOTOs.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 5th, 2020, 10:49 am

MrFoolish wrote:All these links to where you are supposed to post... it's like trying to follow spaghetti code full of GOTOs.

Swings and roundabouts, I'm afraid: Ian's two-thread structure is good for someone who later wants to look at what's happened to this HYP, without having to wade through the sometimes-voluminous past discussions triggered by it. The one-thread structure is good for those who just want to follow those discussions wherever they go. Both structures aren't as good for the other group, and there's a third group, namely those who want to discuss this HYP while staying focused on it and exactly what it contains: with the two-thread stucture, they'll need a tab or window open on each thread, while with the one-thread structure, they'll need to either have two tabs or windows open on that thread or (as soon as the discussion gets at all complicated) keep scrolling up and down between the latest update and the active discussion...

Basically, I'm afraid it's a case of not being able to please all the people all the time! At least with the current board software and setup: something might be done with 'tags' that came closer to pleasing all the people all the time, but guess what - if you want to raise that subject, it's one for the Biscuit Bar, not this board! :-}

Gengulphus

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » September 6th, 2020, 10:53 am

It's a shame that so much work has gone into maintaining this portfolio, yet it is giving rise to none of the commentary this thread was set up for.

I feel it really needs to compared to some sort of benchmark, otherwise it's just a lot of numbers.

Walrus101
Lemon Pip

Postby Walrus101 » September 6th, 2020, 12:51 pm

I seem to be in some kind of twilight zone where I'm in a perpetual loop :) I guess not dissimilar to running a HYP ;) but not sure this was the intention here.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » September 6th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Interesting quote from IMB on future dividends.

I think I agree the dividends look sustainable at the rebased level, so worth considering as a top up or new buy.

I had written them off for a top up, but I may need to think again.

FD

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 10th, 2020, 11:29 am

year 2

" PYAD HYP 2019_04 REINVEST – Year Two - Commentary"

floyd3592
Lemon Pip

Postby floyd3592 » November 11th, 2020, 12:09 pm

MrFoolish wrote:All these links to where you are supposed to post... it's like trying to follow spaghetti code full of GOTOs.

I have to agree its a ludicrous state of affairs.

SuperCally
Lemon Pip

Postby SuperCally » November 11th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Well, I for one am grateful to IanTH for the time and effort put in to the exercise, which I am finding most useful in the development of my own portfolio.

As Gengulphus says (above): “Basically, I'm afraid it's a case of not being able to please all the people all the time!”. There will always be those who prefer a snipe and a whinge, rather than adding any useful commentary of their own :roll:

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 11th, 2020, 4:39 pm

The latest update for this HYP constructed by pyad, as recorded on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16868&start=140

Has been posted here: viewtopic.php?p=355365#p355365

Further details of how updates are to be made to this portfolio can be found on this thread: viewtopic.php?p=218513#p218513

The Top-Up indicated in the previous post viewtopic.php?p=355048#p355048 has now been made as follows:

Date      | Business | EPIC | Shares | Price (p)   | Total (£)  | Yield (%) | Comment                       
10-Nov-20 | Tobacco | IMB | 226 | 1,309.5245 | -2,975.83 | 14.18% | Routine Dividend Re-Investment

Comments are of course welcome although it would be appreciated if they were confined to this thread, leaving the main thread to simply record all actions taken and the progress of the portfolio.

Ian

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 11th, 2020, 8:25 pm

IanTHughes wrote:The latest update for this HYP constructed by pyad ... Comments are of course welcome although it would be appreciated if they were confined to this thread

A minor point only but, here and there, you say as 'constructed by pyad'. I'd amend that slightly to as originally constructed by pyad or something along those lines to make it slightly more obvious you've taken it forward.

I'd also suggest your subject headers, such as PYAD HYP 2019_04 REINVEST – Year 2 – November Top-Up, also include No comments please in the header***, to avoid the issues you had on your recent update (despite the footnote you often include). A helpful Mod can do that for you, should you wish to report your OP.

Come what may, I enjoy the regular updates.

*** I've tested at Testing 123 and there is enough room, though not necessarily readily visible to all.

Moderator Message:
A helpful mod will indeed do that, if asked. -- MDW1954

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » November 14th, 2020, 7:52 am

SuperCally wrote:Well, I for one am grateful to IanTH for the time and effort put in to the exercise, which I am finding most useful in the development of my own portfolio.

As Gengulphus says (above): “Basically, I'm afraid it's a case of not being able to please all the people all the time!”. There will always be those who prefer a snipe and a whinge, rather than adding any useful commentary of their own :roll:

I'm sure everyone is grateful for the work put in, despite the convoluted thread structures.

Not sure about the request for "useful commentary" though. Anything that smacks of criticism of the performance of HYPs tends to disappear rather quickly. Who is going to risk putting the time in to comment? Few if any, it would seem.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » November 14th, 2020, 8:47 am

Without the ability to compare this to any alternative it is no surprise there is little discussion. While I respect the time and effort being put in, I am not sure to what end it is being done. Viewed in glorious isolation the latest update shows the portfolio has lost the investor nearly 10% of their money, so surely the only conclusion one can reach is that it has so far been a poor decision to make the investment as originally suggested by PYAD and subsequently managed by IanTHughes?

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 14th, 2020, 8:55 am

Wizard wrote:Without the ability to compare this to any alternative it is no surprise there is little discussion.

Well, all you need to do is provide whatever benchmark you believe should be used and make the comparison.

Personally I compare it with various Investment Trusts as well as a portfolio of Investment Trusts. So far the HYP is doing rather better - well ahead in income terms and about level on capital terms :)

Ian

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 14th, 2020, 9:49 am

Wizard wrote:Viewed in glorious isolation the latest update shows the portfolio has lost the investor nearly 10% of their money, so surely the only conclusion one can reach is that it has so far been a poor decision to make the investment as originally suggested by PYAD and subsequently managed by IanTHughes?

What a [deleted] statement! If any "virtual investor" was concerned about the capital value that might be available in under two years, then of course the correct decision would have been to leave the whole amount in the bank. Obviously - well obvious to anyone with a modicum of investment experience - that was not the original assumption and therefore the capital was put at risk.

You appear rather new to equity investment and the first thing that you should understand is that the time period one should mark this investment, whether as a success or otherwise, is much longer than the current very short timeline.

Ian
Moderator Message:
Please try to refrain from juxtaposing the letters "i", "d", and "o" in replies to other posters or their statements. Usually the word they are in can be omitted without the polite meaning being affected. - Chris

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 14th, 2020, 10:05 am

IanTHughes wrote:
Wizard wrote:Without the ability to compare this to any alternative it is no surprise there is little discussion.

Well, all you need to do is provide whatever benchmark you believe should be used and make the comparison.

Personally I compare it with various Investment Trusts as well as a portfolio of Investment Trusts. So far the HYP is doing rather better - well ahead in income terms and about level on capital terms :)

Ian

Can you explain how to do that? I've been through the update thread, but I can't find any mention of unit prices or income per unit, XIRR, or any clear way in which I could lift something from your reports and chart them against any other instrument.

I expect I'm just looking in the wrong place as no doubt you have done comparisons yourself. Did I see some graphs somewhere?

Arb.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 14th, 2020, 10:31 am

Arborbridge wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

Can you explain how to do that? I've been through the update thread, but I can't find any mention of unit prices or income per unit, XIRR, or any clear way in which I could lift something from your reports and chart them against any other instrument.

I expect I'm just looking in the wrong place as no doubt you have done comparisons yourself. Did I see some graphs somewhere?

This is the HYP Practical board so of course there is no mention of Investment Trusts, or anything else rather than HYP for that matter. No, I keep my own records, which are not broadcast.

To be honest, the portfolio of ITs is only measured against the "Drawdown" version of this virtual portfolio, measuring against this "ReInvest" version would be too much work, which is therefore simply compared with The City of London Investment Trust plc (CTY). It is very easy, simply create a spreadsheet that contains CTY purchases with the same dates and amounts that were used to set up this HYP and, every time a CTY dividend is gathered, make an appropriate purchase. That is what I do anyway.

As I said, in comparison to CTY, the HYP is more than holding its own!

With regard to other "benchmark"s to compare this portfolio to, I would suggest that for every 10 interested posters on here, we might end up with 15 different benchmarks, which is far too much for one person to keep records for! if anyone wants a benchmark they can easily do it themselves, and of course report it on these boards if they see fit

However, if you want me to produce details of "Accumulation" or "Dividend" units just ask. I of course have the data required, although cash amounts will do just as well.

Ian
Last edited by IanTHughes on November 14th, 2020, 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 14th, 2020, 10:37 am

IanTHughes wrote:

Forget XIRR, Income or Acc Units, or what other ITs are doing - that is all rear view mirror stuff.

The simplest and most obvious measurement of any income portfolio's success is the overall income it produces year on year, as pyad regularly reports (and soon will again I hope). At the inception of any portfolio one can make a reasonable forecast of the income it will produce in the first twelve months, using known dividends and company announcements. At the start of the second year, one can recompute that forecast taking any dividend increases or cuts plus cum- or ex-dividend purchases or sales that have occurred since. And so on.

Now overlay and compare that against cash received and income extrapolated further into the future and you have a rough plan for that future, against which you can measure and act appropriately ie. tinker if needed (I will need to next year), not a view in your rear view mirror.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » November 14th, 2020, 11:07 am

moorfield wrote:The simplest and most obvious measurement of any income portfolio's success is the overall income it produces year on year, as pyad regularly reports (and soon will again I hope). At the inception of any portfolio one can make a reasonable forecast of the income it will produce in the first twelve months, using known dividends and company announcements. At the start of the second year, one can recompute that forecast taking any dividend increases or cuts plus cum- or ex-dividend purchases or sales that have occurred since. And so on.

I think this is an insufficient way of looking at it. There's little point in generating a good income if your capital value is tending towards zero*. A long-term falling capital value is indicative of a declining business going forward, and this will ultimately give a declining income. How much you care about this depends on your life expectancy and your intended legacy, of course.

*I'm not necessarily saying the HYP capital will decline - just that you can't automatically ignore it.

(Hopefully I'm allowed to mentioned capital values. PYAD said it's a secondary consideration, not a taboo subject.)

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”