Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to 87investor,longview,Sussexlad,niord,staffordian, for Donating to support the site

Barratt Developments Trading Update posted on Company News Board.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
Lemon Half
Posts: 6084
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 1122 times
Been thanked: 2245 times

Barratt Developments Trading Update posted on Company News Board.

#323981

Postby idpickering » July 6th, 2020, 7:18 am


Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3365
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:17 am
Been thanked: 1837 times

Re: Barratt Developments Trading Update posted on Company News Board.

#323998

Postby Gengulphus » July 6th, 2020, 8:59 am

idpickering wrote:Here; viewtopic.php?p=323980#p323980

Today's RNS announcement (posted in that thread) has some news of particular interest to HYPers:

"In March 2020, given the uncertainties caused by the impact of COVID-19, the Board cancelled the interim dividend of 9.8 pence per share, equating to c. £100.0m4, which was due to be paid on 11 May 2020. The Board has decided that, given the unprecedented impact of COVID-19, it will not propose to shareholders at the AGM in October 2020 an ordinary dividend in respect of FY20 or the previously announced special dividend of £175m in respect of FY20. However, the Board continues to recognise the importance of dividends as a part of overall shareholder returns and will give further consideration to future dividend policy."

As that says, the cancellation of the interim dividend is old news, having appeared in an RNS last March, which said:

"Given the uncertainties caused by the impact of COVID-19, the Board believes it is appropriate to cancel the interim dividend of 9.8 pence per share (c.£100m), which was due to be paid on 11 May 2020. The Board recognises the importance of dividends as a part of overall shareholder returns and will consider dividends at the time of announcing the full year results in September taking into account the position on COVID-19."

So the cancellation of the final dividend and the special dividend are new, and indeed have been considered and decided upon earlier than previously announced.

The following bit from today's RNS may also be of interest:

"Through the temporary closure of the business, where around 85% of our employees were placed on furlough, we used the Government's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. All of our employees, other than those shielding, have now returned from furlough. We are grateful for the support that the Government has provided to UK businesses through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which allowed us to safeguard the jobs of our c. 6,700 employees during the height of the pandemic. However, our financial position has remained resilient; therefore, we will now repay all furlough funds received."

I had my say on the very similar decision by Taylor Wimpey in mid-May and feel similarly about this decision, so am unlikely to comment further. But this alternative use to which the company puts cash that could be used to pay dividends does seem to be of interest to people here and so worth drawing to this board's attention.

Gengulphus

Dod101
Lemon Half
Posts: 6365
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 1447 times
Been thanked: 2534 times

Re: Barratt Developments Trading Update posted on Company News Board.

#324000

Postby Dod101 » July 6th, 2020, 9:06 am

I commented on the matter of the dividend cancellation on the Company news Board. I still find the double posting of these announcements very confusing.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4334
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 1361 times

Re: Barratt Developments Trading Update posted on Company News Board.

#324007

Postby monabri » July 6th, 2020, 9:26 am

Another disappointment but one that I expect to be repeated with other companies. Let's hope that there is not another wave of Covid-19 and a second shutdown of the economy.

idpickering
Lemon Half
Posts: 6084
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 1122 times
Been thanked: 2245 times

Re: Barratt Developments Trading Update posted on Company News Board.

#324009

Postby idpickering » July 6th, 2020, 9:37 am

Dod101 wrote:I commented on the matter of the dividend cancellation on the Company news Board. I still find the double posting of these announcements very confusing.

Dod



I do get what you're saying regarding my double postings. The reason I bring these items to the attention of HYPers, is so that they can chat about that item, on HYP Practical, from a HYPers perspective. Some holders might not be HYPers at all, hence the posting on the Company News Board, for all other holders notice, and to comment should they like to do so. Mods are aware of my tactics re doubling up, and my reasoning to do so. Should I be directed to stop doing so, I will abide by that instruction.

Ian.

Dod101
Lemon Half
Posts: 6365
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 1447 times
Been thanked: 2534 times

Re: Barratt Developments Trading Update posted on Company News Board.

#324031

Postby Dod101 » July 6th, 2020, 10:53 am

idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I commented on the matter of the dividend cancellation on the Company news Board. I still find the double posting of these announcements very confusing.

Dod



I do get what you're saying regarding my double postings. The reason I bring these items to the attention of HYPers, is so that they can chat about that item, on HYP Practical, from a HYPers perspective. Some holders might not be HYPers at all, hence the posting on the Company News Board, for all other holders notice, and to comment should they like to do so. Mods are aware of my tactics re doubling up, and my reasoning to do so. Should I be directed to stop doing so, I will abide by that instruction.

Ian.


I am not being critical of you Ian, in fact not being critical at all; I just find it confusing that's all.

Dod

idpickering
Lemon Half
Posts: 6084
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 1122 times
Been thanked: 2245 times

Re: Barratt Developments Trading Update posted on Company News Board.

#324038

Postby idpickering » July 6th, 2020, 11:07 am

Dod101 wrote:

I am not being critical of you Ian, in fact not being critical at all; I just find it confusing that's all.

Dod


Thanks for that Dod. I wasn't implying you were, rest assured of that. I do get where you're coming from though. It baffles me too. ;)

Ian.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2267
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 2:22 am
Has thanked: 411 times
Been thanked: 740 times

Re: Barratt Developments Trading Update posted on Company News Board.

#324040

Postby vrdiver » July 6th, 2020, 11:10 am

Gengulphus wrote:The following bit from today's RNS may also be of interest:

"Through the temporary closure of the business, where around 85% of our employees were placed on furlough, we used the Government's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. All of our employees, other than those shielding, have now returned from furlough. We are grateful for the support that the Government has provided to UK businesses through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which allowed us to safeguard the jobs of our c. 6,700 employees during the height of the pandemic. However, our financial position has remained resilient; therefore, we will now repay all furlough funds received."

My take on their decision to repay furlough funding is that to not do so would make future dividends and specials very difficult, politically speaking. If they continue to throw off cash at the same rate that they were doing before this pandemic, then they would be an easy target indeed for a windfall tax or other punitive action, whereas this repayment, whilst painful to shareholders short term, may well position the company onto moral high ground from which it would be much harder to attack them or their shareholders.

It also takes the heat off of the executive pay packages...

VRD


Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests