Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

how is it for you?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

how is it for you?

Postby Arborbridge » July 17th, 2020, 7:53 am

I'm not in the habit of giving a running commentary, especially having just reported on my half year to June 30th, but I just noticed how disastrous July will be.

Last year, I had 6 dividends paying in July, of those four are now cancelled. The payers are Tesco - the star performer - and GSK with no increase. My HYP income will be 77% lower, which means - if that carries on with the same force - I'll be calling on that safety margin or income reserve before very long. Ironically, the only bright spot was Tesco. newly returned to dividend paying, which was slated in some quarters for paying out while accepting the government's rate relief.

Things are really beginning to bite, though I think next month may not be so bad.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: how is it for you?

Postby Dod101 » July 17th, 2020, 8:10 am

HSBC is the big loss for me in July, but I was able to handle it from decent savings earlier owing to the lockdown. 3i Infrastructure gave me a decent dividend a few days ago. It then gets better in August so I will be OK.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 17th, 2020, 9:03 am

Dod101 wrote:HSBC is the big loss for me in July, but I was able to handle it from decent savings earlier owing to the lockdown. 3i Infrastructure gave me a decent dividend a few days ago. It then gets better in August so I will be OK.

Dod

I didn't count 3IN. I presume that came in (I don't check until Saturdays!) but it isn't in my HYP, but in my ITs.

Arb.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 17th, 2020, 9:12 am

Dod101 wrote:... It then gets better in August so I will be OK.

Provided your faith in Gallus gallus domesticus enumeration during ova incubation turns out to be justified...

Gengulphus

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 17th, 2020, 9:52 am

Arborbridge wrote:I'm not in the habit of giving a running commentary, especially having just reported on my half year to June 30th, but I just noticed how disastrous July will be.

Last year, I had 6 dividends paying in July, of those four are now cancelled. The payers are Tesco - the star performer - and GSK with no increase. My HYP income will be 77% lower, which means - if that carries on with the same force - I'll be calling on that safety margin or income reserve before very long. Ironically, the only bright spot was Tesco. newly returned to dividend paying, which was slated in some quarters for paying out while accepting the government's rate relief.

Things are really beginning to bite, though I think next month may not be so bad.

Arb.

Good to see a post on here, so thank you Arb. I agree July is very dire with regards to dividends being paid. Here’s looking forward to August which might prove to be a better month on the div front.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 17th, 2020, 11:55 am

I should perhaps have mentioned, for completeness, that the cancelled dividends were from Persimmon, HSBC, WPP and SBRY. I do have 9 payouts from other investments which should go ahead as normal, but even so, the cash take will be well below normal and about 23% below my withdrawal amount.
But, one gets months like that even in the good times.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 17th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Dod101 wrote:... It then gets better in August so I will be OK.

Provided your faith in Gallus gallus domesticus enumeration during ova incubation turns out to be justified...

Gengulphus

I am fairly confident for my August dividends. On the HYP front, they are BAT, National Grid and Primary Health Properties. I also have three IT dividends. I am not given to complacency but it would take a disaster I think for those three not to pay. I do not count on them though until they are in my bank account.

Dod

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 17th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:HSBC is the big loss for me in July, but I was able to handle it from decent savings earlier owing to the lockdown. 3i Infrastructure gave me a decent dividend a few days ago. It then gets better in August so I will be OK.

Dod

I didn't count 3IN. I presume that came in (I don't check until Saturdays!) but it isn't in my HYP, but in my ITs.

Arb.

Moderator Message:
For the avoidance of doubt, 3IN is perfectly permissible on this board as a HYP share. It is an investment company that falls into the "quasi-REIT" category, just like HICL Infrastructure etc. -- MDW1954

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 17th, 2020, 12:57 pm

I am getting 3 dividends in July, Tesco, GSK and Tate. The defaulters are Marstons, Taylor Wimpey, MArks & Spencer, Kingfisher and Compass. 30% of 2019's dividends for July.

August is a different matter, 5 paying (United Utilities, Vodafone, BATS, PHP and National Grid), only British Land defaulting. Cash wise virtually identical from 2019. That's down to adding PHP this year.

TJH

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » July 17th, 2020, 1:00 pm

July is looking like a very poor month for my income portfolio. Looks like the income will be between 70-80% down on the same month last year, unless I've missed recording anything. Now that investegate is failing to send me email notifications I have to remember to log on and check. Its possible I've missed an ETF or IT that announces and pay dividends all in one month.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » July 17th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I should perhaps have mentioned, for completeness, that the cancelled dividends were from Persimmon, HSBC, WPP and SBRY. I do have 9 payouts from other investments which should go ahead as normal, but even so, the cash take will be well below normal and about 23% below my withdrawal amount.
But, one gets months like that even in the good times.

Arb.

I've been avoiding paying too much attention because I won't like what I see! HSBC and WPP are a couple of cancellations of mine as are M&S, Balfour Beatty and Taylor Wimpey. I've just checked and there are dividend accumulated in my ISAs such that a buy becomes economical soon enough, I've had pay-outs from iii, Severn Trent, and PLUS500 this month with Tate to come. August generally a much lower payout than July corvid not withstanding but I see United Utilities, British American Tobacco and National Grid are due to pay along with Vodafone.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 17th, 2020, 2:36 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I am getting 3 dividends in July, Tesco, GSK and Tate. The defaulters are Marstons, Taylor Wimpey, MArks & Spencer, Kingfisher and Compass. 30% of 2019's dividends for July.

August is a different matter, 5 paying (United Utilities, Vodafone, BATS, PHP and National Grid), only British Land defaulting. Cash wise virtually identical from 2019. That's down to adding PHP this year.

TJH

Ah yes, TATE I didn't include because last year it actually came in August. One of those which float between sometimes. For comparison with my 2019 figures, I should actually include it in August again.

My August will otherwise look like yours apparent from no PHP.
Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 17th, 2020, 2:38 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Dod

Arb.

Moderator Message:
For the avoidance of doubt, 3IN is perfectly permissible on this board as a HYP share. It is an investment company that falls into the "quasi-REIT" category, just like HICL Infrastructure etc. -- MDW1954

A useful reminder, Malcolm. However, I included it in my ITs for various reasons* and since it started off there, it'll probably stay!

*Quasi IT like, and lower yield than my HYP would "allow" me to buy at the time, and still is.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 17th, 2020, 3:43 pm

I think you, Arb have held 3i for some time but for me only since April as a sort of protection for the dividend income. I must have bought it cum dividend but I do not look at these things. I am now thinking of getting back into SSE would you believe? I am still not very comfortable with its finances but the recent trading statement seems encouraging and they are out of the pesky retail side. If I do buy any it will be a combination of some accumulated dividends and a modest sale of some Shell and Imperial Brands I think. Depends what the share prices are looking like. I will probably buy it over a period before I get to my optimum holding.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 17th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Dod101 wrote:I think you, Arb have held 3i for some time but for me only since April as a sort of protection for the dividend income. I must have bought it cum dividend but I do not look at these things. I am now thinking of getting back into SSE would you believe? I am still not very comfortable with its finances but the recent trading statement seems encouraging and they are out of the pesky retail side. If I do buy any it will be a combination of some accumulated dividends and a modest sale of some Shell and Imperial Brands I think. Depends what the share prices are looking like. I will probably buy it over a period before I get to my optimum holding.

Dod

Hi Dod,

It is for the reasons you state above, that I decided to bring SSE back on board my HYP. I’ve topped up twice further since, the later being yesterday. As far as I’m concerned the can stay in my HYP for the long term, as any HYP share ideally should of course.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 17th, 2020, 8:46 pm

idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I think you, Arb have held 3i for some time but for me only since April as a sort of protection for the dividend income. I must have bought it cum dividend but I do not look at these things. I am now thinking of getting back into SSE would you believe? I am still not very comfortable with its finances but the recent trading statement seems encouraging and they are out of the pesky retail side. If I do buy any it will be a combination of some accumulated dividends and a modest sale of some Shell and Imperial Brands I think. Depends what the share prices are looking like. I will probably buy it over a period before I get to my optimum holding.

Dod

Hi Dod,

It is for the reasons you state above, that I decided to bring SSE back on board my HYP. I’ve topped up twice further since, the later being yesterday. As far as I’m concerned the can stay in my HYP for the long term, as any HYP share ideally should of course.

Ian.

While you have both been buying/selling/buying I've been just sitting here "owning" with no activity.
Whether that's been a good thing or not, I've no idea, but I don't sell easily - and I can't remember a HYP case in which I've bought back in.

What an unbearable goody-goody, some might think :x

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 17th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Arborbridge wrote:While you have both been buying/selling/buying I've been just sitting here "owning" with no activity.
Whether that's been a good thing or not, I've no idea, but I don't sell easily - and I can't remember a HYP case in which I've bought back in.

I cannot say my actions are very HYP like but I feel that in these times that can be excused. I have made more adjustments this year than normal I guess.

Dod

gawabsky

Postby gawabsky » July 17th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Income down 90% compared to last July . 6 Cutters out of 8.

Cancellations : Persimmon,(Headlam),Marstons.WPP, Taylor Wimpey & Kingfisher.

Payers: GSK & a Non Hyp Share we'll call Nemo :)

Had we not purchased Nemo last September it would have been -95%.

Gawabsky

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 18th, 2020, 6:16 am

Dod101 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:While you have both been buying/selling/buying I've been just sitting here "owning" with no activity.

I cannot say my actions are very HYP like but I feel that in these times that can be excused. I have made more adjustments this year than normal I guess.

Dod

Agreed Dod. Each to their own, but tbh I’ve spent to much time on the HYP naughty step. It’s not something I enjoy, but at the time, all my actions have been well thought out, although with varying levels of success, or failure. I am aware of my own fickleness, and it’s something I’m trying to avoid being so nowadays.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 18th, 2020, 7:44 am

gawabsky wrote:
Payers: GSK & a Non Hyp Share we'll call Nemo :)

Gawabsky

I like that: I might use it myself ;)

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”