Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

How might one currently construct a HYP in practice?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: How might one currently construct a HYP in practice?

Postby idpickering » July 27th, 2020, 1:50 pm

dealtn wrote:
It would be welcome to see such a list from others though, as I would be interested in some of the less usual candidates for further analysis and purchase consideration. There appears a reluctance to contribute possibly as has been said due to the "atmosphere" surrounding such threads.

Precisely. Well said. Maybe the powers that be can try to change that? I know I’m in no rush to put my HYP up here again, if ever?

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 27th, 2020, 4:44 pm

JamesMuenchen wrote:Also in HYP1 there was a recommended maximum of 15 shares, and in fact only 12 Sectors.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140528041 ... 01113c.htm

So, I'm pretty confident it would be possible to construct an old-style HYP now or any other time - you just sort by yield and work down the list, disposing of shares that don't meet your requirements until you have enough or reach the end of the list.

The only question is whether you would be allowed to discuss such a portfolio on TLF-HYPP.

On a point of order, HYP1 was a demonstration portfolio. PYAD commented in the article:
I agreed to draw up a suggested list of higher-yielding shares. Note that this is not an official Motley Fool portfolio, merely some ideas I have generated with a little research. I would advise that nobody takes this at face value but rather does some investigation of their own, because the required criteria may well differ from one individual to another.
The list is not therefore wholly automatic in construction, and consequently includes some of my personal likes, and probably excludes some of my personal dislikes too. The shares are ranked by decreasing yield. There are fifteen, which is my suggested maximum holding.

He suggested later that you needed at least 15 shares to get adequate diversity, but there was no bar on having more. Fewer was definitely a no-no.

The word "suggested" is significant.

TJH

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 27th, 2020, 4:49 pm

dealtn wrote:It would be welcome to see such a list from others though, as I would be interested in some of the less usual candidates for further analysis and purchase consideration. There appears a reluctance to contribute possibly as has been said due to the "atmosphere" surrounding such threads.

There are several such lists on this thread, including contributions from yourself. I take it that you would like to see more, but you are likely to get more of the same.

TJH

G3lc
2 Lemon pips

Postby G3lc » July 27th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Regarding listing ones HYP - when its been constructed over the past 20 years, it bears little resemblance to what one would construct today.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 27th, 2020, 10:47 pm

G3lc wrote:Regarding listing ones HYP - when its been constructed over the past 20 years, it bears little resemblance to what one would construct today.

Not neccessarily. Of the shares that I started out with, only MKS remains today, AZN as a spin-off from ICI, BP. which was first bought when HMG sold off their stake and BT.A from privatisation.

I hold 36 and have disposed of 43 along the way. There are some shares which have appeared, which I do not hold, because I have had no need to buy them. That is why you need to carry out the classic HYP selection process for yourself if you are starting out afresh.

TJH

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 27th, 2020, 10:55 pm

tjh290633 wrote: I take it that you would like to see more, but you are likely to get more of the same.

Quite.
If one fishes in a pond containing too few fish, one is likely to keep catching the same fish.
And right brassed off they will be.

V8

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 1st, 2020, 11:25 am

MDW1954 wrote:
OK, understood. But the answer, I'm afraid, is a categorical "no". Being charitable, you misunderstand the role of moderators: we are here to promote constructive discussion, not propose HYP portfolios. Being less charitable, I can't help but note that your persistent questioning isn't really in keeping with the intended ethos of the board.

As I recall I was trying to goad the Mods into giving us an LFHYP1, which could be argued and picked over for years to come. A missed opportunity perhaps, never mind.

Anyway, a month out at Manoir Moorfield has done wonders and reaffirmed my resolve to continue doing, well, very little with my shares - and including posting here.

See you in January.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”