Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Unilever & LSE

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
monabri
Lemon Half

Unilever & LSE

Postby monabri » July 22nd, 2020, 6:27 pm

Email sent by myself to London Stock Exchange :

Subject query: Information was confusing
Message: Your website indicates that the yield on Unilever shares is currently 5.9%+. This is incorrect.
Received: Thu, 07/16/2020 - 09:51

Hello
Thank you for contacting us with your request.
Please provide further information on your inquiry and also confirm the expected yield value for Unilever Plc and we will look into this further and provide a response.

Currently shown as 5.92% so no correction..Perhaps I should direct them to DividendData or maybe HL? I thought they would check it and correct it and not ask me!

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/sto ... mpany-page

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Unilever & LSE

Postby Gengulphus » July 22nd, 2020, 8:22 pm

monabri wrote:Email sent by myself to London Stock Exchange :

Subject query: Information was confusing
Message: Your website indicates that the yield on Unilever shares is currently 5.9%+. This is incorrect.
Received: Thu, 07/16/2020 - 09:51

Hello
Thank you for contacting us with your request.
Please provide further information on your inquiry and also confirm the expected yield value for Unilever Plc and we will look into this further and provide a response.

Currently shown as 5.92% so no correction..Perhaps I should direct them to DividendData or maybe HL? I thought they would check it and correct it and not ask me!

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/sto ... mpany-page

No, point them to the primary data sources - the company itself for the company's dividends and their own site for the share price, and do the division to get the yield. Pointing to a secondary data source like DividendData simply makes it tempting for the LSE person who deals with the issue to suggest you take the problem up with DividendData - a quick easy response that will push their 'customer'-queries-dealt-with-per-hour productivity measure up...

I think something like the following is indicated:

"According to Unilever's web site (https://www.unilever.com/investor-relations/shareholder-centre/dividends/dividend-history/), according to the table in the "PLC DIVIDEND SHARE HISTORY CALCULATOR" tab the sterling dividends paid for 2019 (its last completed financial year) are 35.46p + 36.82p + 35.76p + 34.72p = 142.76p. Dividing that by the current share price of 4,330.00p in https://www.londonstockexchange.com/stock/ULVR/unilever-plc/company-page gives the company's historical dividend yield as 3.30%. Alternatively, its last year's worth of dividends (i.e. including the Q1 2020 dividend in the total and excluding the 2019Q1 dividend from it) are 36.82p + 35.76p + 34.72p + 36.14p = 143.44p, and the division gives the company's rolling historical dividend yield as 3.31%.

Those yields will probably have changed slightly by the time you read this due to the share price changing, but 5.92% is far too high and well beyond what Unilever share price fluctuations could have produced.
"

If you want to use that text, feel free - but I suggest you use it before 8 am tomorrow if you want to use it unchanged! If you don't manage that, bring the share price up to date and redo the two divisions.

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”