Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Lloyds 2020 Half-Year Results - Part 1 of 2

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Lloyds 2020 Half-Year Results - Part 1 of 2

Postby idpickering » July 30th, 2020, 7:34 am

"The impact of the coronavirus pandemic in the first half of 2020 has been profound on the way we live our lives and on the global economy. We remain fully focused on helping our customers and the UK economy recover, in collaboration with Government and our regulators.

I want to express my sincere gratitude to all my colleagues across the Group for their dedication and persistence which have allowed us to deliver vital banking services to our customers effectively throughout the pandemic.

Although the outlook is uncertain, the Group's financial strength and business model allow us to help Britain recover and play our part in returning our country to prosperity. Our customer focused strategic plan remains fully aligned with the Group's long term strategic objectives, the position of our franchise and the interests of shareholders."

António Horta-Osório

Supporting customers, colleagues and the economy in difficult times

· Actively supporting retail, small business and commercial customers through a range of flexible propositions

- Over £9 billion lending provided to businesses through government-backed schemes, including Bounce Back Loan, Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan and Coronavirus Large Business Interruption Loan schemes

- Over 1.1 million payment holidays granted to retail customers and c.33,000 capital repayment holidays provided to small businesses and corporates to alleviate temporary financial pressures

- Payment holidays granted on insurance premiums and advance payments for life and critical illness claims to support customers in financial difficulty during the pandemic

· Job and pay security provided to all colleagues since March. c.50,000 colleagues now working from home

· Multi-channel distribution model, with the UK's leading digital bank, combined with around 90 per cent of branches remaining open throughout the lockdown, enabling the Group to continue to serve customers

Continued strategic progress

· Continued progress against strategy with particular focus on building a leading customer experience, further digitising the Group, transforming the way we work and maximising Group capabilities. Over £2.4 billion invested in strategic initiatives during GSR3 to help deliver sustainable shareholder value creation

· The benefits of our investments from GSR3 have positioned us well in the current environment:

- Operating the UK's leading digital bank we now have more than 17 million digitally active users, up 4 per cent during lockdown, while recording digital customer satisfaction levels at an all-time high, even in a period of increased demand

- Our commitment to delivering cost efficiencies and creating capacity to invest in the business has enabled us to respond quickly to new challenges, such as using robotics to process c.98 per cent of Bounce Back Loan applications

- Our unique Single Customer View, which added another 1 million customers in the first half of the year, enables us to serve a wider range of our customers' financial needs than ever before

· The opportunity exists to accelerate our transformation, and further enhance and adapt strategy, customer propositions and colleague work practices as the Group learns from the crisis

And later;

Dividend decision

We announced the cancellation of the final 2019 dividend on 31 March. Our decision on the outstanding 2019 dividend was taken by the Group's Board at the specific request of our regulator, the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and was in line with all other major UK listed banks. At that time, the Board also decided, again in line with all other major UK listed banks, that until the end of 2020 we will undertake no quarterly or interim dividend payments, accrual of dividends, or share buybacks on ordinary shares in order to improve further our capacity to serve the needs of businesses and households through the extraordinary challenges presented by the coronavirus pandemic.

These are difficult decisions and, while we recognise the disappointment and frustration this causes our shareholders, in particular those relying on dividends for income, we agreed that this was a prudent and appropriate response to what were and are exceptional circumstances. The Board will decide on any dividend distributions or buybacks on ordinary shares in respect of 2020 at year end, in line with the approved dividend policy.

In conjunction with this decision and in solidarity with the communities in which we operate, the whole of the Group Executive Committee have asked not to be considered for their Group Performance Share for 2020, meaning that they will give up all of their bonus entitlement for 2020. In addition, no cash bonuses are payable to senior staff for the rest of 2020.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/lloyds-ba ... 00105412U/

Part 2 here;

https://www.investegate.co.uk/lloyds-ba ... 00105413U/

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Lloyds 2020 Half-Year Results - Part 1 of 2

Postby Wizard » July 30th, 2020, 11:30 am

Lloyds wrote:...the Board also decided, again in line with all other major UK listed banks, that until the end of 2020 we will undertake no quarterly or interim dividend payments, accrual of dividends, or share buybacks on ordinary shares in order to improve further our capacity to serve the needs of businesses and households through the extraordinary challenges presented by the coronavirus pandemic...

The reference to accruals is interesting, it suggests they will not be providing for a dividend that can be declared later, but it is not cut and dried as...

Lloyds wrote:...The Board will decide on any dividend distributions or buybacks on ordinary shares in respect of 2020 at year end, in line with the approved dividend policy...

Clear as mud to me, anyone else got a clear view on that?

SlickMongoose
Lemon Pip

Postby SlickMongoose » July 30th, 2020, 11:36 am

- Over £9 billion lending provided to businesses through government-backed schemes, including Bounce Back Loan, Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan and Coronavirus Large Business Interruption Loan schemes

I wonder how much of that will get written off?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 30th, 2020, 1:23 pm

Wizard wrote:Clear as mud to me, anyone else got a clear view on that?

Probably translates to "what dividend?". If it's not clear then it is by choice.

Wonder what AH-O's replacement will do when they are in post? I'm glad he's going.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 30th, 2020, 1:26 pm

SlickMongoose wrote:

I wonder how much of that will get written off?

Probably not a lot. the Bounce Back scheme is 100% underwritten by HMG so no write off for Lloyds there. The CBI loans are 80% underwritten by HMG as are CBILs

To the extent these loans help businesses survive they must reduce possible write offs on other loans the banks have made.

As far as I can see most UK banks will not make an overall loss in 2020 and so will survive with their capital intact. Seems to me the market is overreacting but perhaps the share price performance of banks is more down to the difficulty of them making decent profits in such a low interest rate environment.

Also perhaps marking down all financials because of fears of a second wave?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 30th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Wizard wrote:
Lloyds wrote:...the Board also decided, again in line with all other major UK listed banks, that until the end of 2020 we will undertake no quarterly or interim dividend payments, accrual of dividends, or share buybacks on ordinary shares in order to improve further our capacity to serve the needs of businesses and households through the extraordinary challenges presented by the coronavirus pandemic...

The reference to accruals is interesting, it suggests they will not be providing for a dividend that can be declared later, but it is not cut and dried as...

Lloyds wrote:...The Board will decide on any dividend distributions or buybacks on ordinary shares in respect of 2020 at year end, in line with the approved dividend policy...

Clear as mud to me, anyone else got a clear view on that?

I suppose the question is whose 'approved dividend policy'? The PRA's I assume because unless they agree the banks cannot make any decision.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 30th, 2020, 1:35 pm

The dividend policy seems to be...we're not paying one but will review end of 2020.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/share-resea ... end%202020.

"Lloyds has announced it will not be paying any dividends or buying back any shares in 2020 as it seeks to preserve capital during the COVID-19 pandemic. The decision includes the final dividend of 2019 and was taken in tandem with the other UK banks following a request from the Bank of England.
"
The board will decide on any future dividend policy and amounts at year-end 2020.

BUT we also have

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/co ... 20180.html

"At its annual general meeting today, chairman Lord Blackwell, however, reminded shareholders that any surplus capital in the business “still belongs to you”.

In his statement, Blackwell added: “I would like to reassure shareholders that the Board remains committed to returning surplus capital to shareholders in due course both through future dividends and potential share buybacks as appropriate.”

Surplus capital.....well not if it's loss making!

Nothing is clear so our guesses can be nothing but fogged up!

;)

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 30th, 2020, 1:39 pm

What a dog. I bought years ago when it was £3 (I think) and yielding 7%. What's the definition of a share that goes down 90%? One that falls 80% and then halves.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 30th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Yes investing in bank shares has long been a triumph of hope over experience!

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 30th, 2020, 1:59 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Yes investing in bank shares has long been a triumph of hope over experience!

Indeed, very happy my holding in Lloyds is in the form of prefs not ordinary shares. But I still have an interest in how the business is going and what is happening with the dividend on the ordinary shares as it 'pushes' the pref dividend. Therefore I am always happier when the ordinary shares are paying a dividend.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 30th, 2020, 4:15 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Yes investing in bank shares has long been a triumph of hope over experience!

Agreed. I do not hold bank shares currently myself, although I have held LLOY and HSBAC in the past. I can't tell the future, but there may come a time when one might consider them to be a good bet?

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 30th, 2020, 5:05 pm

monabri wrote:Nothing is clear so our guesses can be nothing but fogged up!

;)

So are the directors' guesses, the government's guesses, and every one else's guesses... It's highly unusual for the 'long term' in the principle of 'strategic ignorance' to be as short as six months, but then, we're living in highly unusual times! ;-)

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”