Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

GlaxoSmithkline - Sanofi/GSK: Phase 1/2 trial of COVID-19 vaccine posted on Company News Board.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

GlaxoSmithkline - Sanofi/GSK: Phase 1/2 trial of COVID-19 vaccine posted on Company News Board.

Postby idpickering » September 3rd, 2020, 7:14 am

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Re: GlaxoSmithkline - Sanofi/GSK: Phase 1/2 trial of COVID-19 vaccine posted on Company News Board.

Postby StepOne » September 3rd, 2020, 9:10 am

I hold Glaxo in my HYP, but for me news like this is almost entirely irrelevant.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Re: GlaxoSmithkline - Sanofi/GSK: Phase 1/2 trial of COVID-19 vaccine posted on Company News Board.

Postby CryptoPlankton » September 3rd, 2020, 9:46 am

StepOne wrote:I hold Glaxo in my HYP, but for me news like this is almost entirely irrelevant.

Which is presumably why the news has been posted on the Company News board with a link here for those who may feel it is relevant. I am grateful for the time put in by the OP to give me that option. I have to say I found the reply of less relevance... :)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 3rd, 2020, 10:02 am

CryptoPlankton wrote:
StepOne wrote:I hold Glaxo in my HYP, but for me news like this is almost entirely irrelevant.

Which is presumably why the news has been posted on the Company News board with a link here for those who may feel it is relevant. I am grateful for the time put in by the OP to give me that option. I have to say I found the reply of less relevance... :)

Thanks. This is why I post the link to the item here, rather than the whole thing, so as to not clutter up this board. If readers don’t want to read the item then don’t....simples....

Ian.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » September 3rd, 2020, 2:31 pm

Irrelevant to this board maybe, but very welcome if you are hoping for a CV19 vaccine any time soon!

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » September 3rd, 2020, 5:38 pm

Fair enough, I am in the minority, but 60% of the threads on this board are just links to the other board, which would make me wonder if the board structure was right, if it was my site.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » September 4th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Keep on posting Ian, I would not see them otherwise.

john

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 4th, 2020, 3:30 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:Keep on posting Ian, I would not see them otherwise.

john

Thank you very much for that. As a holder of GSK, I for one am very interested in any news regarding them, or any of the other shares in my HYP. If other posters on this board find the info helpful, that's great. Not only that though, this board is mostly quiet, and if I can generate some hopefully worthwhile on topic chat between us, then even better.

Ian.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » September 4th, 2020, 3:45 pm

And if the vaccine works......it could be very lucrative for GSK.

FD

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 4th, 2020, 4:05 pm

funduffer wrote:And if the vaccine works......it could be very lucrative for GSK.

FD

Here's hoping. Not just for GSK, but good news all mankind. (or is that 'personkind' nowadays?) :D

Ian.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 5th, 2020, 8:46 am

funduffer wrote:And if the vaccine works......it could be very lucrative for GSK.

FD

https://www.gsk.com/en-gb/media/press-r ... 20partners.

Could being the important word. They might decide, or be forced, to act without a profit motive.

(Although I think that's more company news than HYP Practical, but relevant to a direct quote made on this Board, as it's not usual for me to post here)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 9th, 2020, 12:24 pm

StepOne wrote:Fair enough, I am in the minority, but 60% of the threads on this board are just links to the other board, which would make me wonder if the board structure was right, if it was my site.

An idea: Would it work better if rather than posting one "<news item headline> posted on Company News Board" thread per news item not directly and immediately relevant to HYP, Ian were to post one "Other HYP company news for <dd/mm/yyyy> posted on Company News Board" thread each morning that there is any such news, containing a list of news item headlines and links to the Company News threads. As I see it:

* For Ian, it would involve adding a line to a not-yet-submitted post for this board each time he encounters such a news item, then submitting that post when he's finished his scan through the news, instead of submitting a post to this board each time he encounters such a news item. That doesn't seem to me to make very much of a difference in what he does, and may even somewhat reduce it because of posting fewer threads - but obviously only he knows exactly how it will affect him (and clearly, if he dislikes the idea, it's a non-starter).

* For this board's appearance, it would reduce the high percentage of "... posted on Company News Board" threads on the board. Of the 20 new threads posted so far this month, 12 have been "... posted on Company News Board" threads, and they were posted on 6 different days - so the reduction on that small sample would have been from 12 out of 20 (60%) of the threads being "... posted on Company News Board" threads to 6 out of 14 (43%). So some improvement, though admittedly the board would still appear to have a heavy load of just-links threads.

* For me personally, it would be a small improvement - basically, I get a notification of each new thread, click on it and decide whether I'm interested - if I am, I bookmark it and/or the thread it links to, if I'm not, I just close it. So I would have got 14 new-thread notifications to deal with so far this month rather than 20 - an improvement, but dealing with such a notification is a pretty small job, so only a very small improvement

* For other board users, it will depend on how they go about reading the boards...

I only see this idea as a possible small improvement overall, but it seems worth mentioning.

Gengulphus

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 9th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
StepOne wrote:Fair enough, I am in the minority, but 60% of the threads on this board are just links to the other board, which would make me wonder if the board structure was right, if it was my site.

An idea: Would it work better if rather than posting one "<news item headline> posted on Company News Board" thread per news item not directly and immediately relevant to HYP, Ian were to post one "Other HYP company news for <dd/mm/yyyy> posted on Company News Board" thread each morning that there is any such news, containing a list of news item headlines and links to the Company News threads. As I see it:

* For Ian, it would involve adding a line to a not-yet-submitted post for this board each time he encounters such a news item, then submitting that post when he's finished his scan through the news, instead of submitting a post to this board each time he encounters such a news item. That doesn't seem to me to make very much of a difference in what he does, and may even somewhat reduce it because of posting fewer threads - but obviously only he knows exactly how it will affect him (and clearly, if he dislikes the idea, it's a non-starter).

* For this board's appearance, it would reduce the high percentage of "... posted on Company News Board" threads on the board. Of the 20 new threads posted so far this month, 12 have been "... posted on Company News Board" threads, and they were posted on 6 different days - so the reduction on that small sample would have been from 12 out of 20 (60%) of the threads being "... posted on Company News Board" threads to 6 out of 14 (43%). So some improvement, though admittedly the board would still appear to have a heavy load of just-links threads.

* For me personally, it would be a small improvement - basically, I get a notification of each new thread, click on it and decide whether I'm interested - if I am, I bookmark it and/or the thread it links to, if I'm not, I just close it. So I would have got 14 new-thread notifications to deal with so far this month rather than 20 - an improvement, but dealing with such a notification is a pretty small job, so only a very small improvement

* For other board users, it will depend on how they go about reading the boards...

I only see this idea as a possible small improvement overall, but it seems worth mentioning.

Gengulphus

Thanks for your input Gengulphus. For me, I'd rather carry on as I am. The current format was suggested to me as the way to bring news items to HYPer's attention, by someone whom I regard to be a senior mod, months ago. In short, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. imho. Unless a mod tells me otherwise I shall carry on as I am. Either way, this subject is off topic in this thread.

Ian.

AnnaD13

Postby AnnaD13 » September 29th, 2020, 6:27 am

I hope that scientists will find a vaccine that helps

NeilW
Lemon Slice

Postby NeilW » September 29th, 2020, 9:16 am

AnnaD13 wrote:I hope that scientists will find a vaccine that helps

So do I and so does everybody rational.

However talking to people who actually do the work to make these things, rather than writing press releases to try and sell them, suggests that it will be at least four years to an effective vaccine and that's with a following wind.

Hence why I tend to ignore Covid related RNS releases. They are talking their book.

Back to strategic ignorance.

floyd3592
Lemon Pip

Postby floyd3592 » September 30th, 2020, 2:03 pm

john

Nail on head...

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 30th, 2020, 2:07 pm

floyd3592 wrote:

john

Nail on head...

Thanks John. I would buy more GSK, but I have a full holding already. Time to double up on this stock might be an option for me going forward? We’ll see. The static dividend puts me off tbh.

Ian.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 1st, 2020, 11:02 am

idpickering wrote:Thanks John. I would buy more GSK, but I have a full holding already. Time to double up on this stock might be an option for me going forward? We’ll see. The static dividend puts me off tbh.

Ian.

Better than none. Compass, I am looking at you!

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 1st, 2020, 11:46 am

absolutezero wrote:
idpickering wrote:Thanks John. I would buy more GSK, but I have a full holding already. Time to double up on this stock might be an option for me going forward? We’ll see. The static dividend puts me off tbh.

Ian.

Better than none. Compass, I am looking at you!

That’s a fair comment. Tbh I’m likely to buy more GSK in the coming months, without overdoing it though.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”