Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

FD HYP Latest Top-Up - BAE Systems

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
funduffer
Lemon Quarter

FD HYP Latest Top-Up - BAE Systems

Postby funduffer » January 20th, 2021, 4:39 pm

I had a few dividends accumulated, so decided on a HYP top-up.

My HYPTUSS top-up table looks like this:

1.Imperial Brands (IMB) 8.30%
2.Vodafone Group (VOD) 6.50%
3.Lloyds Banking Group (LLOY) 4.60%
4.BAE Systems(BA.) 5.00%
5.British Land Company (BLND) 4.30%
6.Vistry Group(VTY) 4.30%
7.National Grid (NG.) 5.80%

Forecast Yields shown.

I have topped up BAE Systems (BA.), on the basis that it has increased the dividend every year since I started my HYP 7 years ago, with a CAGR or 2.25% - a bit better than inflation. Seems like a very steady eddie to me - just what I need at the moment, getting back to HYP basics.

For the others:

IMB, VOD - cutters, and topped up previously
LLOY, VTY - too soon, let's wait and see what dividends they actually start again with
BLND - cutter
NG. - topped up last time

Overall it will slightly improve my HYP yield which is currently 4.86% (historic).

Anyone else buying BA.?

FD

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: FD HYP Latest Top-Up - BAE Systems

Postby idpickering » January 20th, 2021, 6:17 pm

funduffer wrote:I had a few dividends accumulated, so decided on a HYP top-up.

My HYPTUSS top-up table looks like this:

4.BAE Systems(BA.) 5.00%

Forecast Yields shown.

I have topped up BAE Systems (BA.), on the basis that it has increased the dividend every year since I started my HYP 7 years ago, with a CAGR or 2.25% - a bit better than inflation. Seems like a very steady eddie to me - just what I need at the moment, getting back to HYP basics.

For the others:

LLOY, VTY - too soon, let's wait and see what dividends they actually start again with
BLND - cutter

Overall it will slightly improve my HYP yield which is currently 4.86% (historic).

Anyone else buying BA.?

FD

Thanks for sharing what’s going on with your HYP FD. Very interesting. As for buying more BAE Systems, I’m likely to top up my holdings of these before their next ex dividend date in April. Ie, I will more than likely buy in March.

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 20th, 2021, 11:17 pm

funduffer wrote:My HYPTUSS top-up table looks like this:

4.BAE Systems(BA.) 5.00%

Forecast Yields shown.

BLND - cutter

The figures in the last column are very optimistic. Some are fiction.

LLOY haven't paid a dividend for 12 months. Current yield is 0%.

BLND has changed to semi-annually and resumed. No idea what the final will be.

LLOY and VTY ought not to be there.

TJH

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » January 21st, 2021, 7:37 am

Seems a little strange to exclude NG just because it was topped up last time. I often top up the same share a number of times, while it’s eligible, until it reaches a certain size or it’s sector does.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » January 21st, 2021, 8:02 am

uspaul666 wrote:Seems a little strange to exclude NG just because it was topped up last time. I often top up the same share a number of times, while it’s eligible, until it reaches a certain size or it’s sector does.

You are right, of course, and I should have mentioned that with both NG. and SSE, I am a bit over-weight in Utilities, so that was another reason for not topping up NG.

FD

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » January 21st, 2021, 8:10 am

tjh290633 wrote:
funduffer wrote:My HYPTUSS top-up table looks like this:

4.BAE Systems(BA.) 5.00%

Forecast Yields shown.

BLND - cutter

The figures in the last column are very optimistic. Some are fiction.

LLOY haven't paid a dividend for 12 months. Current yield is 0%.

BLND has changed to semi-annually and resumed. No idea what the final will be.

LLOY and VTY ought not to be there.

TJH

I know you don't put much store in forecast yields, but I think they are better than any estimate that I could come up with. They are a consensus of financial analysts' views, who do look at each company's prospects in a lot more detail and with more knowledge than I ever could. I also like to look forwards rather than backwards.

With LLOY (bank) and VTY (housebuilder), it is pretty likely they will resume dividend payments this year, so surely it is too soon to ditch them, without finding out what their intentions are first?

HYP is a LTBH strategy, and I think it is even more important not to excessively trade in the current circumstances.

As I said, back to HYP basics.

FD

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » January 21st, 2021, 9:10 am

funduffer wrote:
I know you don't put much store in forecast yields, but I think they are better than any estimate that I could come up with. They are a consensus of financial analysts' views, who do look at each company's prospects in a lot more detail and with more knowledge than I ever could. I also like to look forwards rather than backwards.

With LLOY (bank) and VTY (housebuilder), it is pretty likely they will resume dividend payments this year, so surely it is too soon to ditch them, without finding out what their intentions are first?

HYP is a LTBH strategy, and I think it is even more important not to excessively trade in the current circumstances.

FD

Interesting the yields on VTY and Lloyds. I don't update the forecast dividends that frequently. I just went and looked and HYPTUSS was giving the forecast yield for Lloyds as 1.4% from when I last updated the dividends at the end of the year and it now says 4.5% - so the analysts thoughts have definitely moved significantly towards a decent dividend from Lloyds. I don't get a dividend for VTY, but I'm using an old version of HYPTUSS (11.52) and I have added some companies manually to the data sheet eg when Bovis changed to Vistry and clearly haven't got the right link for the dividend scrape, though I get prices fine.

Looks like there has been a significant upgrade in the dividend expectation for most of the coronavirus cutters from the analysts.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 21st, 2021, 4:08 pm

funduffer wrote:I know you don't put much store in forecast yields, but I think they are better than any estimate that I could come up with. They are a consensus of financial analysts' views, who do look at each company's prospects in a lot more detail and with more knowledge than I ever could. I also like to look forwards rather than backwards.

FD

I certainly wouldn't sell LLOY and VTY, but neither would I top them up at this stage. I did top up LLOY in March, before the ordure hit the fan, in the expectation of better things. I still hope for them, but wait for them to report before deciding on which way to jump.

Certainly I agree that this is not the time for excessive trading. I am not topping up any share which is not paying dividends.

TJH

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”