Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

IDP's HYP as of 20 May 21.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

IDP's HYP as of 20 May 21.

Postby idpickering » May 20th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Good afternoon all. I last put my HYP up here on 25 Mar 21 here; viewtopic.php?p=398892#p398892

Since then not to much has changed to be honest. I've topped up my holdings, in my usual manner, of reinvesting the dividends received each month, into my chosen pick for that month thus;

In March I topped up my BA. and PHP holdings.
In April I bought more TSCO.

This month I've been a bit draconian, and sold Standard Life Aberdeen, or whatever they're called now. I hold Schroder's in the same sector anyway, and had lost faith in SLA (?). With the proceeds I bought into a share I've watched for a while now, which gets me into a new sector, that being Greencoat UK Wind PLC.

Today I topped up my VOD holdings.

As of now, my HYP looks like this, measured in capital value weighting.

Share                       Weight
Legal & General 5.6%
Rio Tinto 5.5%
BHP Group 5.4%
Admiral Group 4.7%
BAE Systems 4.6%
British American Tobacco 4.5%
IG Group 4.5%
Phoenix Group 4.5%
BP. 4.5%
National Grid 4.5%
Greencoat UK Wind 4.5%
Shell (RDSB) 4.4%
Vodafone 4.4%
GlaxoSmithKline 4.4%
Tate & Lyle 4.3%
SSE 3.8%
United Utilities 3.5%
AstraZeneca 3.4%
Tritax Big Box 3.4%
Primary Health Properties 3.3%
Sainsbury 3.3%
Schroders (non-voting) 3.2%
Tesco 3.2%
Unilever 3.1%
Diageo 1.9%

The law of ish applies.

Although I'm fairly happy with my diversification, are there any other sectors I might like to consider?

Comments welcome.

Ian.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: IDP's HYP as of 20 May 21.

Postby staffordian » May 20th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Ian, regarding additional sectors, I'd only say what others have previously said (not in the context of your HYP, just in general).

Once reasonably diversified, as yours certainly is, I'd not go sector hunting. All I would do is focus on topping up existing holdings as appropriate, but keep a weather eye open for any "too good to miss" bargains, regardless of sector, which occasionally crop up.

Thanks for posting. Always interesting to see.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 20th, 2021, 4:34 pm

staffordian wrote:Ian, regarding additional sectors, I'd only say what others have previously said (not in the context of your HYP, just in general).

Once reasonably diversified, as yours certainly is, I'd not go sector hunting. All I would do is focus on topping up existing holdings as appropriate, but keep a weather eye open for any "too good to miss" bargains, regardless of sector, which occasionally crop up.

Thanks for posting. Always interesting to see.

Thank you very much for your post, kind words, and for sharing your thoughts. I do get where you're coming from. To continue adding sectors ad infinitum could well just result in diworsification, which I guess is something we should all be wary of.

As it is, no newbies leap out at me, but I must admit that I've one eye on the banking sector (maybe Lloyds or HSBC), and house construction (TW. and PSN) too. I feel like I missed the boat on them, but I'm also aware that one doesn't have to have a finger in every pie.

The sale of Squiggle (SLA) ;) was my first since last August, and is not something I do lightly, as I try to be a more disciplined as a HYPer nowadays.

In my heart, going forward, I think I'm just going to do as you suggest.

Thank you, have a rec/thanks,

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 20th, 2021, 4:49 pm

I think you have a good spread and at 25 or 26 shares that is fine. Greencoat is the flavour of the day it would seem. I would leave housebuilders alone. That bubble I think will burst sooner or later. The banks? Not sure what they are yielding at the moment. Not very much I think. I would not buy Lloyds but hold HSBC but only because I have for 30 years (I still hold the original contract note!) I suspect I have done well overall in that time but as you know in recent times...........OTOH they are bursting with excess cash so I think we will probably see a interim dividends announced with the half year results.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 20th, 2021, 5:00 pm

Dod101 wrote:I think you have a good spread and at 25 or 26 shares that is fine. Greencoat is the flavour of the day it would seem. I would leave housebuilders alone. That bubble I think will burst sooner or later. The banks? Not sure what they are yielding at the moment. Not very much I think. I would not buy Lloyds but hold HSBC but only because I have for 30 years (I still hold the original contract note!) I suspect I have done well overall in that time but as you know in recent times...........OTOH they are bursting with excess cash so I think we will probably see a interim dividends announced with the half year results.

Dod

Thanks for your ever-welcome input Dod. I get what you're saying about UKW being flavour of the month, but tbh, it is a sector I'm interested in anyway. Living where we do in Orkney, that's probably no surprise. Wind turbines are very common here, and we (Mrs P and I) get free electric from our own wind turbine at the back of our house.

I think your comment re housebuilders is a wise one indeed. With regards to the bank shares, I'm happy to sit back and just watch events as they pan out.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 21st, 2021, 2:22 pm

In the interests of openness and honesty, I need to clarify something. I've just noticed that I said Greencoat UK Wind weighed in at 4.5% in capital value terms of my 25 share HYP in my opening post. That is incorrect, and should've read 3.5%. Sorry for my error. It not a huge issue, but I'd rather be upfront and honest with you all. As it is, I'm likely to top up my UKW shares soon anyway.

Ian.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » May 21st, 2021, 2:43 pm

If you want to double-up (but with a twist), you could also look at BSIF and FSFL.

Malcolm

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 21st, 2021, 3:17 pm

MDW1954 wrote:If you want to double-up (but with a twist), you could also look at BSIF and FSFL.

Malcolm

Thanks for your input Malcolm. I often think about all those other shares you’ve pointed out to us in the recent past. I will certainly have a look at those two you’ve just offered as options.

Ian.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » May 21st, 2021, 3:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:Greencoat is the flavour of the day it would seem.

Dod

Dod,

And rightly so, I'd argue. What's not to like about a company that offers RPI-linked dividend growth, and which benefits from a government regulatory regime that obliges utilities to take the power that it generates?

MDW1954 (UKW holder for several years)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 21st, 2021, 3:19 pm

MDW1954 wrote:If you want to double-up (but with a twist), you could also look at BSIF and FSFL.

For those who like to have company names, those are BLUEFIELD SOLAR INCOME FUND LIMITED and FORESIGHT SOLAR FUND LIMITED. Higher yields than UKW at 6.3% and 7.0%, but under 25% of its market cap. The fact that the names end with LIMITED rather than PLC may well indicate something like being resident in a tax haven, for those who care about such things.

That is not meant as anything like a full analysis of the companies, just a quick sketch that will hopefully help people decide whether they're interested enough to investigate further.

Gengulphus

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 21st, 2021, 3:21 pm

Gengulphus wrote:

For those who like to have company names, those are BLUEFIELD SOLAR INCOME FUND LIMITED and FORESIGHT SOLAR FUND LIMITED. Higher yields than UKW at 6.3% and 7.0%, but under 25% of its market cap. The fact that the names end with LIMITED rather than PLC may well indicate something like being resident in a tax haven, for those who care about such things.

That is not meant as anything like a full analysis of the companies, just a quick sketch that will hopefully help people decide whether they're interested enough to investigate further.

Gengulphus

Thanks for that Gengulphus. Very helpful. Tbh the market caps of the companies might be an issue for me, but I will have a look at them either way.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 21st, 2021, 3:34 pm

MDW1954 wrote:

Dod

Dod,

And rightly so, I'd argue. What's not to like about a company that offers RPI-linked dividend growth, and which benefits from a government regulatory regime that obliges utilities to take the power that it generates?

As an investment I did not say they were bad but personally I hate windfarms. I note that they recently bought Braes of Doune and I regularly see the blot on the landscape from this one and it infuriates me. I also do not like the fact that they regularly raise capital by a placing, thus diluting existing shareholders.

In any case I prefer a more broadly based IT and hold 3i Infrastructure

Dod

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » May 21st, 2021, 3:59 pm

Dod101 wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:

Dod

Dod,

Dod

For the avoidance of doubt, and for the benefit of other posters, I'd add that all these companies are permissible under the board's guidelines, being "quasi-REITs" rather than ITs investing in quoted entities.

MDW1954

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » May 21st, 2021, 5:10 pm

I hold 3 companies in this sector (renewable energy infrastructure):

Greencoat UK wind (UKW) - wind energy

Next Energy Solar Fund (NESF) - solar energy

GCP Infrasturcture (GCP) - more broad based - renewable energy (60%), pfi contracts (25%), social housing (15%)

All are high yielding and 'promise' rising dividends with inflation. They are an interesting way of diversifying your portfolio.

As I was uncertain about HYP eligibility until the recent debate on this, I hold them as part of my IT portfolio. I am not minded to take on the extra work in re-locating them in my HYP!

FD

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 22nd, 2021, 8:36 am

Dod101 wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:

Dod

Dod,

As an investment I did not say they were bad but personally I hate windfarms. I note that they recently bought Braes of Doune and I regularly see the blot on the landscape from this one and it infuriates me. I also do not like the fact that they regularly raise capital by a placing, thus diluting existing shareholders.

Dod

Oddly enough, I'm quite predisposed to "hate windfarms" - as a sailor, they are another obstacle to worry about.
However, I can't bring myself to "hate" them - in fact I find them quite stately and pleasing to the eye. I love the sense of calm power they project as they move majestically - slow but muscular. And the way they reflect the different sky states, altering their appearance as the light varies. I find them quite beautiful - but having said that, I doubt I would like to live near enough to hear one if it wasn't mine. On our previous boat we had a wind turbine, and I loved the sound: we used to call her moaning minnie.

Well, it takes all sorts. :)

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 22nd, 2021, 8:41 am

I believe TRIG was mentioned earlier, and here's a link to TMF about three which have been mentioned:
https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2021/0 ... es-id-buy/

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 22nd, 2021, 9:04 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Oddly enough, I'm quite predisposed to "hate windfarms" - as a sailor, they are another obstacle to worry about.
However, I can't bring myself to "hate" them - in fact I find them quite stately and pleasing to the eye. I love the sense of calm power they project as they move majestically - slow but muscular. And the way they reflect the different sky states, altering their appearance as the light varies. I find them quite beautiful - but having said that, I doubt I would like to live near enough to hear one if it wasn't mine. On our previous boat we had a wind turbine, and I loved the sound: we used to call her moaning minnie.

Well, it takes all sorts. :)

Arb.

Waxing lyrical on a Saturday morning. I like the picture you paint and can see what you mean. However, they are a blot on the landscape. Around our way at least, development seems to have stopped but we have I suppose at least half dozen sites within about 30 miles or so of where I live, in all directions. The Braes of Doune one is particularly intrusive as it can be seen for miles around; that is the one recently acquired by Greencoat.

BTW, slightly off topic but 3i Infrastructure produced good results a week or two back. Better all round to me than a windfarm.

Dod

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 22nd, 2021, 9:50 am

idpickering wrote:...This month I've been a bit draconian, and sold Standard Life Aberdeen, or whatever they're called now. I hold Schroder's in the same sector anyway, and had lost faith in SLA (?)...

To try ang get back on topic, I wondered if you could expand on what caused you to lose faith in SLA?

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » May 22nd, 2021, 3:36 pm

Wizard wrote:
idpickering wrote:...This month I've been a bit draconian, and sold Standard Life Aberdeen, or whatever they're called now. I hold Schroder's in the same sector anyway, and had lost faith in SLA (?)...

To try ang get back on topic, I wondered if you could expand on what caused you to lose faith in SLA?

Ian can answer for himself....

but SLA have just halved their final dividend!

FD

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 22nd, 2021, 3:48 pm

funduffer wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Ian can answer for himself....

but SLA have just halved their final dividend!

FD

Spot on FD, thank you. Also, I have more faith in Schroders, which I think are a better outfit imho.

Regarding wind turbines, one of our neighbours has one, they live 500m from our house. I let my hedge grow a bit higher to obscure my having to look at it so close to us. It is noisy if the wind is from the North too.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”