Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

IDP's HYP as of 09 Jul 21

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

IDP's HYP as of 09 Jul 21

Postby idpickering » July 10th, 2021, 7:12 am

I last put my HYP up on this board recently here; viewtopic.php?p=421503#p421503 Although I get that was only a short time ago, yesterday I was Inspired by a comment from TJH here viewtopic.php?p=426134#p426134 in Arb's Div per unit comparison thread, and I bit the bullet and trimmed my mining shares (Rio Tinto and BHP Group) back to my average capital value weighting of my then 25 share HYP. With the released funds I was able to buy into The Renewables Infrastructure Group at the new nearly average capital value weighting, of my now 26 share HYP. Carrying out these actions does not come lightly to me, as I'd rather leave the constituents of my HYP alone to do their thing, although I have tinkered in the past I admit. Going forward, I intend being more hands off, and just topping up my current holdings, as of now, on a monthly basis, as I have been doing for years. The decision to trim my miners was mine alone, so don't fret Terry.

As for TRIG, I've mentioned my interest in buying their shares here before. I like their story, and what they do, and I think it's high time we tried to do what we can to save our planet, although imho, the damage is already done, sadly.

Anyway, here's my HYP as of yesterday's close of play, shown in capital value weighting of my, now, 26 share HYP;

Share                                  Weight

Legal & General 5.4%
British American Tobacco 5.0%
Admiral Group 4.8%
Shell (RDSB) 4.7%
BAE Systems 4.6%
BP. 4.6%
GlaxoSmithKline 4.4%
IG Group 4.3%
National Grid 4.3%
Vodafone 4.0%
Phoenix Group 4.0%
Tate & Lyle 4.0%
BHP Group 3.9%
Rio Tinto 3.9%
SSE 3.8%
United Utilities 3.6%
AstraZeneca 3.6%
Sainsbury 3.5%
Tritax Big Box 3.4%
Primary Health Properties 3.2%
Greencoat UK Wind 3.1%
Schroders (non-voting) 3.1%
The Renewables Infrastructure Group 3.1%
Unilever 3.1%
Tesco 3.0%
Diageo 2.0%

The law of ish applies.

I'm happier with the overall contents of my HYP now, and currently don't have my eyes on another new holding. Going forward, I'm just going to drip feed new monies into the HYP every month, gradually nudging each holding up to the then HYP average capital value weighting, starting with the higher yielding shares first. The bottom line though, that's enough tinkering.... for now at least.... ;)

Ian.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: IDP's HYP as of 09 Jul 21

Postby Itsallaguess » July 10th, 2021, 7:32 am

idpickering wrote:
Going forward, I'm just going to drip feed new monies into the HYP every month, gradually nudging each holding up to the then HYP average capital value weighting, starting with the higher yielding shares first.

Just on that point of where to aim for with top-ups Ian - I prefer to over-shoot 'average capital value weightings' somewhat, because I prefer to trade for top-ups less frequently, and I also dislike the idea of 'repeated dealings' in the same underlying holdings, which seemed to happen quite frequently for me when I used to use your method of aiming a bit lower for each top-up.

Given what we would always expect as 'natural market movements' within our portfolio, I now prefer to kick each individual top-up a little 'further out' to help solve both of those specific issues, and that change in approach has worked really well for me over recent years.

As it's likely that each individual top-up will have been highlighted as being the most appropriate one for each trade, then I have no problem giving each of them a bit more juice than just making them 'average' again each time that might occur. If they're the right places for our fresh income-portfolio capital at any given time, then I personally now prefer to give them the appropriate credit...

I don't aim too far above the weighted-average, by the way - we're not talking huge percentages here, but it's enough of a difference that means both less trading for me, and certainly less 'repeated hits' when that trading happens because of this tweak to my top-up approach, that I thought I'd mention it as being a benefit to me personally, since making that change a few years ago....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 10th, 2021, 7:40 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Going forward, I'm just going to drip feed new monies into the HYP every month, gradually nudging each holding up to the then HYP average capital value weighting, starting with the higher yielding shares first.

Just on that point of where to aim for with top-ups Ian - I prefer to over-shoot 'average capital value weightings' somewhat, because I prefer to trade for top-ups less frequently, and I also dislike the idea of 'repeated dealings' in the same underlying holdings, which seemed to happen quite frequently for me when I used to use your method of aiming a bit lower for each top-up.

Given what we would always expect as 'natural market movements' within our portfolio, I now prefer to kick each individual top-up a little 'further out' to help solve both of those specific issues, and that change in approach has worked really well for me over recent years.

As it's likely that each individual top-up will have been highlighted as being the most appropriate one for each trade, then I have no problem giving each of them a bit more juice than just making them 'average' again with each trade. If they're the right places for our fresh income-portfolio capital at any given time, then I personally now prefer to give them the appropriate credit...

I don't aim too far above the weighted-average, by the way - we're not talking huge percentages here, but it's enough of a difference that means both less trading for me, and certainly less 'repeated hits' when that trading happens because of this tweak to my top-up approach, that I thought I'd mention it as being a benefit to me personally, since making that change a few years ago....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks very much for your ever welcome input, and imho, wise words too. What you've said does make sense to me, and I'm happy to follow your lead. Funnily enough, I'm looking at topping up my PHNX holdings this month, and that will push them over the average HYP capital value weighting (maybe), but not overly so. I'm ok with that I think.

Ian.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » July 10th, 2021, 10:00 am

Hi Ian and thanks for your updated portfolio. I’m no expert of course and have no idea what will happen in the future but had you also considered trimming the oil stocks? I see that BP and RDSB make up just over 9% of your portfolio that’s all. Personally I *think* that oil stocks will recover income wise as the world still needs oil and will do for a few more decades.

As always, you have a great diversified portfolio and enjoy your updates.

Cheers, OLTB.

WrongLicence388
Lemon Pip

Postby WrongLicence388 » July 10th, 2021, 10:10 am

I'm in the same boat with Rio but I'm reluctant to trim and replace with a lower yield.

C.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 10th, 2021, 10:44 am

Thanks for your replies guys. With regards my oil stocks, as I’ve often said here, I topped up both RDSB and BP. four times last year. I always thought they’d bounce back, and although they have, imho I don’t think they’re to overly heavily weighted in my HYP. One for the future maybe, we’ll see. But as we all know here HYP isn’t a trading strategy per se, but I think HYPers. Can be forgiven for managing their HYPs however they see fit.

As for selling the miners for a lower yielding share such as TRIG, that aspect crossed my mind. But the sales were more to do with HYP balance than merely chasing a higher yield.

I trimmed my miners as both were weighing in at 1.7 times the average capital value weighting on my, then 25, holdings.

Ian.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 10th, 2021, 10:48 am

Financials make up 21.6% of your portfolio, and you want to add to that with more PHNX...?

MDW1954

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 10th, 2021, 11:00 am

I've added yields to your table (source: dividenddata.co.uk), from which we can deduce an overall portfolio yield of 4.8%.

Coincidentally, that is the same yield as the City of London IT, which as ever raises an interesting question (see viewtopic.php?p=424666#p424666).

It would be interesting to see a table of your overall portfolio income over the years (a la pyad), as well as the regular snapshots of holdings and weights.

Share                               | Weight | Yield
| |
Legal & General | 5.4 | 6.6
British American Tobacco | 5.0 | 7.8
Admiral Group | 4.8 | 3.8
Shell (RDSB) | 4.7 | 3.4
BAE Systems | 4.6 | 4.4
BP. | 4.6 | 4.9
GlaxoSmithKline | 4.4 | 5.6
IG Group | 4.3 | 5.0
National Grid | 4.3 | 5.2
Vodafone | 4.0 | 6.5
Phoenix Group | 4.0 | 6.9
Tate & Lyle | 4.0 | 4.0
BHP Group | 3.9 | 5.0
Rio Tinto | 3.9 | 5.5
SSE | 3.8 | 5.3
United Utilities | 3.6 | 4.2
AstraZeneca | 3.6 | 2.3
Sainsbury | 3.5 | 3.7
Tritax Big Box | 3.4 | 3.1
Primary Health Properties | 3.2 | 3.9
Greencoat UK Wind | 3.1 | 5.4
Schroders (non-voting) | 3.1 | 4.5
The Renewables Infrastructure Group | 3.1 | 5.3
Unilever | 3.1 | 3.3
Tesco | 3.0 | 3.9
Diageo | 2.0 | 2.1
| |

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 10th, 2021, 11:20 am

MDW1954 wrote:Financials make up 21.6% of your portfolio, and you want to add to that with more PHNX...?

MDW1954

That’s a fair point Malcolm, thank you. It’s not a given that I will top up PHNX, and will have a good look nearer the time of the scheduled buy, that being 22 Jul 21. I had toyed with buying more UKW instead?

Do any other faults leap out at you with my HYP? I ask earnestly. Am I missing something for instance?

Ian.
Last edited by idpickering on July 10th, 2021, 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 10th, 2021, 11:22 am

[muse]Those who balance - not me - generally seem to use capital as the metric.
Much less faff than assembling income data of course.

But an HYP is about income.

So it's always struck me as a little odd.

I wonder if anyone uses income rather than capital and how it affects the outcome.
A Portfolio Management topic perhaps, or is it Practical... but not a Topic for me to start as I don't have any data to contribute.[/muse]

V8

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 10th, 2021, 11:23 am

moorfield wrote:I've added yields to your table (source: dividenddata.co.uk), from which we can deduce an overall portfolio yield of 4.8%.

Coincidentally, that is the same yield as the City of London IT, which as ever raises an interesting question (see viewtopic.php?p=424666#p424666).

It would be interesting to see a table of your overall portfolio income over the years (a la pyad), as well as the regular snapshots of holdings and weights.

Share                               | Weight | Yield
| |
Legal & General | 5.4 | 6.6
British American Tobacco | 5.0 | 7.8
Admiral Group | 4.8 | 3.8
Shell (RDSB) | 4.7 | 3.4
BAE Systems | 4.6 | 4.4
BP. | 4.6 | 4.9
GlaxoSmithKline | 4.4 | 5.6
IG Group | 4.3 | 5.0
National Grid | 4.3 | 5.2
Vodafone | 4.0 | 6.5
Phoenix Group | 4.0 | 6.9
Tate & Lyle | 4.0 | 4.0
BHP Group | 3.9 | 5.0
Rio Tinto | 3.9 | 5.5
SSE | 3.8 | 5.3
United Utilities | 3.6 | 4.2
AstraZeneca | 3.6 | 2.3
Sainsbury | 3.5 | 3.7
Tritax Big Box | 3.4 | 3.1
Primary Health Properties | 3.2 | 3.9
Greencoat UK Wind | 3.1 | 5.4
Schroders (non-voting) | 3.1 | 4.5
The Renewables Infrastructure Group | 3.1 | 5.3
Unilever | 3.1 | 3.3
Tesco | 3.0 | 3.9
Diageo | 2.0 | 2.1
| |

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I’m happy with 4.8%. As for my records, I’m not all that proficient at such record keeping tbh.

Ian.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 10th, 2021, 11:38 am

idpickering wrote: I’m happy with 4.8%.

And that's what makes my question in the other place so interesting I think!

If you're happy with that, then why not the alternative?

Or, as 88V8 pondered, is your HYP really just a hobby?

(Edit: If you feel put out by those questions I should add for my part I treat my portfolio very much as a "business", with some clear targets I want it to be hitting in the early 2030s - my early and happy retirement very much depends on it! But I drift O/T apologies ...)

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 10th, 2021, 1:10 pm

idpickering wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:Financials make up 21.6% of your portfolio, and you want to add to that with more PHNX...?

MDW1954

That’s a fair point Malcolm, thank you. It’s not a given that I will top up PHNX, and will have a good look nearer the time of the scheduled buy, that being 22 Jul 21. I had toyed with buying more UKW instead?

Do any other faults leap out at you with my HYP? I ask earnestly. Am I missing something for instance?

Ian.

Ian,

I'm not pointing out "faults", I'm making observations and asking questions. I wouldn't presume to call anything a "fault".

So here's another observation: actual, formal REITs make up just 6.6% of your portfolio (BBOX and PHP). Both of those are relatively recent additions. I think you could comfortably increase that 6.6%, especially so given how REITs' dividends held up during the pandemic when other shares suspended or cut dividend payments. I won't trot out the usual list, as I'm sure you've seen it enough times. In your shoes I think that I would be looking at CREI, WHR, SUPR or LXI. You hold nothing like these -- WHR is very different from BBOX.

Another option would be HICL, although it is not a formal REIT, I believe. HICL also has the advantage of being much larger than CREI, WHR, SUPR and LXI. Again, you hold nothing like it.

MDW1954

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 10th, 2021, 1:36 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
idpickering wrote:

MDW1954

Ian.

Ian,

I'm not pointing out "faults", I'm making observations and asking questions. I wouldn't presume to call anything a "fault".

So here's another observation: actual, formal REITs make up just 6.6% of your portfolio (BBOX and PHP). Both of those are relatively recent additions. I think you could comfortably increase that 6.6%, especially so given how REITs' dividends held up during the pandemic when other shares suspended or cut dividend payments. I won't trot out the usual list, as I'm sure you've seen it enough times. In your shoes I think that I would be looking at CREI, WHR, SUPR or LXI. You hold nothing like these -- WHR is very different from BBOX.

Another option would be HICL, although it is not a formal REIT, I believe. HICL also has the advantage of being much larger than CREI, WHR, SUPR and LXI. Again, you hold nothing like it.

MDW1954

Thanks for your reply Malcolm. I apologise for using the word ‘fault’. I wasn’t implying you were picking fault. I meant, is there anything else that could be made better/am I missing something etc.

I get what you’re saying about my REIT holdings. I shall certainly have a look at the others you’ve kindly highlighted.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 10th, 2021, 1:45 pm

moorfield wrote:
idpickering wrote: I’m happy with 4.8%.

And that's what makes my question in the other place so interesting I think!

If you're happy with that, then why not the alternative?

Or, as 88V8 pondered, is your HYP really just a hobby?

(Edit: If you feel put out by those questions I should add for my part I treat my portfolio very much as a "business", with some clear targets I want it to be hitting in the early 2030s - my early and happy retirement very much depends on it! But I drift O/T apologies ...)

I’m not put out at all. As for HYPing being a hobby, I don’t regard it as such. In a few years it’ll be used for the purpose it was intended, ie providing an income for my wife and I, but aged 60ish, I’m just reinvesting the dividends for now. I guess in a couple of years we will be living on the income.

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 10th, 2021, 11:29 pm

88V8 wrote:[muse]Those who balance - not me - generally seem to use capital as the metric.

I wonder if anyone uses income rather than capital and how it affects the outcome.
A Portfolio Management topic perhaps, or is it Practical... but not a Topic for me to start as I don't have any data to contribute.[/muse]

V8

I assume that you mean people who use income as a guide to rebalancing.

I do that by tending to cull shares which do not provide income and also those which provide less than about half the current market yield (taking the FTSE100 as the Market). I am not doing the latter at the moment, because we are not in normal times.

I also set a limit on share of income, so that any share, which would provide more than 5% of total portfolio income if topped up by 20%, is disqualified from being topped up. That means a cut-off point at about 4.2% share of income. I also apply this to share of portfolio cost.

This is my top-up table as it stands at present:

Top-up          Income                     Cost                
Rank EPIC Rank EPIC % Income Rank Epic % Cost
1 IMB 1 RIO 5.98% 1 AV. 4.49%
2 BATS 2 LGEN 5.06% 2 VOD 4.23%
3 VOD 3 IMB 4.94% 3 PSON 4.19%
4 TW. 4 BATS 4.76% 4 BP. 4.18%
5 BP. 5 AV. 4.64% 5 RDSB 4.18%
6 RKT 6 VOD 4.18% 6 LLOY 4.13%
7 SSE 7 GSK 4.17% 7 MARS 4.09%
8 GSK 8 NG. 4.13% 8 IGG 4.06%
9 ULVR 9 ADM 3.93% 9 BT.A 3.94%
10 LGEN 10 SSE 3.91% 10 MKS 3.78%
11 BT.A 11 IGG 3.80% 11 GSK 3.61%
12 RDSB 12 BP. 3.38% 12 PHP 3.58%
13 RIO 13 BA. 3.32% 13 S32 3.49%
14 TSCO 14 UU. 3.29% 14 TSCO 3.47%
15 MKS 15 TW. 3.23% 15 BLND 3.41%
16 BLND 16 BHP 3.11% 16 BHP 3.31%
17 PHP 17 RDSB 3.04% 17 LGEN 3.21%
18 LLOY 18 TATE 2.99% 18 SSE 3.08%
19 TATE 19 BT.A 2.89% 19 KGF 2.96%
20 CPG 20 PHP 2.87% 20 IMB 2.90%

You will observe that the top 5 shares in the "% Income" column are excluded and also the top 2 in the "% Cost" are excluded. Why impose a limit? In the case of Income it is to avoid becoming too reliant on any one share, while in the case of Cost, it is to avoid throwing too much money at a given share. I found myself doing both of these at one time and so imposed my rule.

So the top 3 in the top-up table, IMB, BATS and VOD, are disqualified as are numbers 10 (LGEN) and 13 (RIO). I could stretch a point in the case of Vodafone were I so minded.

The top-up ranking itself is a two-component item, made up of the sum of the ranking by yield and the inverse ranking by weight. Looking at the top 3, IMB ranks 5th for weight and 1st for yield, 6 in total. BATS ranks 7th for weight and 2nd for yield, 9 in total. VOD ranks 8th for weight and 4th for yield, 12 in total. The total of the two rankings is then ranked to provide the top-up ranking. Here is the complete table:

Holding   Weight   Yld   W+Y   Rank
ADM 27 12 39 23
AV. 35 9 44 28
AZN 16 26 42 26
BA. 24 15 39 24
BATS 7 2 9 2
BLND 13 23 36 16
BHP 33 10 43 27
BP. 12 14 26 5
BT.A 15 17 32 11
CPG 2 36 38 20
DGE 32 29 61 34
GSK 23 6 29 8
IGG 25 13 38 21
IMB 5 1 6 1
IMI 36 32 68 36
KGF 29 28 57 33
LGEN 26 5 31 10
LLOY 4 33 37 18
MARS 6 35 41 25
MKS 1 34 35 15
NG. 30 8 38 22
PHP 17 19 36 17
PSON 34 27 61 35
RKT 3 25 28 6
RDSB 11 22 33 12
RIO 31 3 34 13
S32 18 31 49 31
SGRO 22 30 52 32
SMDS 20 24 44 29
SSE 21 7 28 7
TATE 19 18 37 19
TSCO 14 20 34 14
TW. 10 11 21 4
ULVR 9 21 30 9
UU. 28 16 44 30
VOD 8 4 12 3

The version of that, sorted by the final ranking, is what is in the top-up table itself.

Income plays an important part in the selection of shares for purchase, for topping up and for culling.

TJH

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 11th, 2021, 12:29 am

88V8 wrote:[muse]Those who balance - not me - generally seem to use capital as the metric.

V8

Well consider that the genesis of HYP was a capital sum split into fifteen equal amounts, rather than different amounts contrived to produce fifteen equal income streams. And from there pyad suggested simply that (if "HYPersaving") the amount you put into each new buy is the average value per share of the portfolio at that date.

tjh290633 wrote:
I also set a limit on share of income, so that any share, which would provide more than 5% of total portfolio income if topped up by 20%, is disqualified from being topped up. That means a cut-off point at about 4.2% share of income. I also apply this to share of portfolio cost.
Why impose a limit? In the case of Income it is to avoid becoming too reliant on any one share, while in the case of Cost, it is to avoid throwing too much money at a given share. I found myself doing both of these at one time and so imposed my rule.

I think where we differ is that you apply your limits "pre-top up" whereas I apply my limits "post-top up". I am comfortable if a topped up share breaches those limits a little, but would then rule it out until its weight has been moderated by top ups and/or market movements elsewhere.

Currently I hold 6 Financials (MNG, DLG, LGEN, SAN, AV., HSBA) which collectively account for 25.5% of overall capital and 29.0% of overall income - well above my self-imposed "Industry" limit of 20% capital. That doesn't necessitate immediate adjustment, but it does mean I won't be topping up any of these or adding new Financials for some time yet.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 11th, 2021, 7:32 am

MDW1954 wrote:
Ian,

MDW1954

Coming back to your post Malcolm, I do like the look of LXI and HICL. Don't be surprised if both appear in my HYP over the coming months.

Thanks again,

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 11th, 2021, 11:39 am

moorfield wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
Why impose a limit? In the case of Income it is to avoid becoming too reliant on any one share, while in the case of Cost, it is to avoid throwing too much money at a given share. I found myself doing both of these at one time and so imposed my rule.

I think where we differ is that you apply your limits "pre-top up" whereas I apply my limits "post-top up". I am comfortable if a topped up share breaches those limits a little, but would then rule it out until its weight has been moderated by top ups and/or market movements elsewhere.

Currently I hold 6 Financials (MNG, DLG, LGEN, SAN, AV., HSBA) which collectively account for 25.5% of overall capital and 29.0% of overall income - well above my self-imposed "Industry" limit of 20% capital. That doesn't necessitate immediate adjustment, but it does mean I won't be topping up any of these or adding new Financials for some time yet.

My habit dates back to having a source of dividends which grew fairly rapidly, and the weight rose to 16%, when I had about 18 holdings. This was Lloyds-TSB back in 1997. AstraZeneca was on its heels, so both were brought back down below 10%, my then imposed weight limit. Normally dividends stay within my limit, although the past year was unusual, because of the number of stoppers or non-payers. The weight limit came about because Mapeley was always at the top of the list, and I realised that I was putting more into them than was good after the third purchase when the share price was falling. Then they did an Oozlum Bird when Fortress came along. I should have got out earlier, but the collapse in late 2008 was very sudden.

TJH

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 11th, 2021, 1:01 pm

tjh290633 wrote: The weight limit came about because Mapeley was always at the top of the list, and I realised that I was putting more into them than was good after the third purchase when the share price was falling. Then they did an Oozlum Bird when Fortress came along. I should have got out earlier, but the collapse in late 2008 was very sudden.

Indeed, and I suffered the same fate with CLLN. I noticed then what seemed to be a flaw with the lowest value/highest yield ranking in that it was persistently preferring a top up of the very highest yielding shares, rather than the smallest holdings with lower yields. As a result of that collapse I've now overlaid a few different "vetoes" on rankings, namely

- not topping up very high yield shares (above a ceiling of 2*CTY)
- not topping up overweight sectors or industries
- not topping up ex dividend
- topping up roughly on a quarterly basis, when accumulated cash has exceeded 1/4 of my income (ntm) forecast

None of these controls may be perfect or make sense by themselves, but I am finding that their combined effect is encouraging me to keep the ball passed around the field, so to speak, which was the intention.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”