Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Wot, no divs?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Wot, no divs?

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2021, 7:04 am

Nearly every Saturday, I check what dividends have come in.

Today was a rather rare event: not one single dividend has been received. This includes all my investments, ITs OEICs and share.
The previous dividend was on 16th July, namely Sainsbury.

I might as well get down to the village to pick up the newspaper earlier than usual....

Arbv.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Wot, no divs?

Postby Dod101 » July 24th, 2021, 7:08 am

Arborbridge wrote:Nearly every Saturday, I check what dividends have come in.

Today was a rather rare event: not one single dividend has been received. This includes all my investments, ITs OEICs and share.

I might as well get down to the village to pick up the newspaper earlier than usual....

Arbv.

I had a modest one from BG China Growth yesterday, but only the one this week.

Dod

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » July 24th, 2021, 7:49 am

Got a PID from LAND in Friday.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 24th, 2021, 7:52 am

Arbv.

Same with me Arb. SBRY were my last for July. Unfortunately, I can’t just walk to a newsagent here in Orkney, as there isn’t one on our island. I will just have to read the paper on line and sit outside with my coffee, and enjoy our stunning view over the bay towards the Mainland.

Ian.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 24th, 2021, 7:55 am

Arborbridge wrote:I might as well get down to the village to pick up the newspaper earlier than usual....

Arbv.

You must live in a very remote place if you have to go into a village to shop :shock:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 24th, 2021, 8:22 am

MrFoolish wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I might as well get down to the village to pick up the newspaper earlier than usual....

Arbv.

You must live in a very remote place if you have to go into a village to shop :shock:

I would not say that I live in a very remote place but my nearest shop is a couple of miles away. But they are prepared to deliver my paper for a modest fee.

Dod

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 24th, 2021, 8:28 am

MrFoolish wrote:You must live in a very remote place if you have to go into a village to shop :shock:

I live so far from any village shop that I have to have a digital subscription :P

Anyway, I use an old copy of Microsoft Money to plug in my dividends (generally) when they are announced, which gives me a good forward view of what to expect when. The next two are UU and VOD in the first week of August (incidentally at which point I have just noticed my cashflow will have exceeded last year's). There is a flurry of results and (hopefully) dividend announcements coming in the next fortnight after which I should be able to fill in most remaining dividends for the year. RDSB's Q3 exchange rate announcement in the first week of December is always the last one at which point I know my cashflow for the whole year, and can switch off for Christmas.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2021, 8:45 am

MrFoolish wrote:

Arbv.

A reasonable walk brings me to Waitrose where two rucksacks-full keep keep us topped up and give a little exercise. Hardly remote!
Not sure what counts as a village but with on 4500 people here, I'd say its a biggish village. We can afford five cafes in or near the centre.

"Big shops" within 30-40 minutes drive in different directions. Fleshpots of London an hour by train. A good compromise, I feel.

Arb.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 24th, 2021, 9:22 am

A nice thought, a dividend a week. It reminds me of an apple a day saying but I'm not sure how to finish "A dividend a week".... Keeps the debts away!

It is disheartening when you look and there has been no dividend. Initially a month would have been good. Weekly sounds great so how about daily?

I suppose it depends on what you want, one £365 divi, 12 x £30.41 divis, 52 x £7 divis or a quid every day.

I suppose you should pick the best investment not just the payday but I have considered looking to fill payment gaps. Its a secondary thought when I've bought something that fills a payment in a low month. It might be a deciding factor if it was a toss up between two possibilities.

Is it a waste when you get three payments all at once?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 24th, 2021, 9:39 am

Gerry557 wrote:A nice thought, a dividend a week. It reminds me of an apple a day saying but I'm not sure how to finish "A dividend a week".... Keeps the debts away!

It is disheartening when you look and there has been no dividend. Initially a month would have been good. Weekly sounds great so how about daily?

I suppose it depends on what you want, one £365 divi, 12 x £30.41 divis, 52 x £7 divis or a quid every day.

I suppose you should pick the best investment not just the payday but I have considered looking to fill payment gaps. Its a secondary thought when I've bought something that fills a payment in a low month. It might be a deciding factor if it was a toss up between two possibilities.

Is it a waste when you get three payments all at once?

If anything, my monthly investments are normally targeted at the lowest weighted/highest yielder, with an eye on ex dividend dates. I don’t pay much attention as to when the dividend is paid, just that it is/was.

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 24th, 2021, 9:43 am

Nevermind the frequency, it's the quantity that counts!
:)

(Adapted from "nevermind the quality...)

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Postby TahiPanasDua » July 24th, 2021, 10:55 am

Slightly off topic, but how often do dividends fail to be received? I have been investing for decades and never once checked to see if a payment was due or received except when about to buy or sell, a rare-ish event.

Maybe I have lost a small fortune through negligence or misguided trust.

TP2.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » July 24th, 2021, 10:57 am

In 10+ years of investing (I do check) I've had some late dividends but never a missing one.

Although I suspect I will start to check less often once I retire as I'll hopefully have better things to do.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 24th, 2021, 11:03 am

TahiPanasDua wrote:Slightly off topic, but how often do dividends fail to be received? I have been investing for decades and never once checked to see if a payment was due or received except when about to buy or sell, a rare-ish event.

Maybe I have lost a small fortune through negligence or misguided trust.

If it had been any kind of fortune then surely you would have noticed anyway? I check the aggregate numbers now and then, and as long as they are about what I expected then I do not worry about it.

Maybe once a decade I lose a dividend. I accept that as good value for all the time I save not checking each one!

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » July 24th, 2021, 11:18 am

3I group for me on Friday.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 24th, 2021, 11:19 am

Gerry557 wrote:I suppose it depends on what you want, one £365 divi, 12 x £30.41 divis, 52 x £7 divis or a quid every day.

Again my Microsoft Money's Budget Planner is a very handy tool in helping to plan and smooth income withdrawals. In fact I don't need it yet as I am reinvesting everything, but it's a useful habit to be starting now. In future (since this is from a SIPP) I will probably align budgeted income with the tax year and higher rate tax threshold, and withdraw/reinvest on a quarterly basis.

TahiPanasDua wrote:Slightly off topic, but how often do dividends fail to be received? I have been investing for decades and never once checked to see if a payment was due or received except when about to buy or sell, a rare-ish event.

Being the good finance/IT person I am, I reconcile everything - my own records to my broker's to my bank's - it's an old ingrained habit that will die hard I imagine. I've never missed one but I think some divis announced in 2019/20 were then shelved due to the covid pandemic. IMI rings a bell.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 24th, 2021, 11:30 am

Darka wrote:In 10+ years of investing (I do check) I've had some late dividends but never a missing one.

Although I suspect I will start to check less often once I retire as I'll hopefully have better things to do.

A fair point Darka. A couple of months ago there were delays with Halifax processing my dividends, and others here to it seems, they were 10 days late sometimes, and according to their rules that’s allowed, frustrating to wait for the divs to show though it was. They got there eventually and they’re more on schedule nowadays.

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 24th, 2021, 11:43 am

I find that most problems which I experience, with regard to dividends not appearing when expected, can be put down to my own incorrect recording of pertinent dates.

Usually I have got the month wrong lapsus digitae one might say. Sometimes not changing the date from last year. Apart from the recent hiccups, most arrive at some time on the due date.

TJH

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 24th, 2021, 11:56 am

This site (linked to on another post here so I'm not taking credit for it) is very useful for checking dividned payment dates
https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... ldividends

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » July 24th, 2021, 12:55 pm

idpickering wrote:
Darka wrote:In 10+ years of investing (I do check) I've had some late dividends but never a missing one.

A fair point Darka. A couple of months ago there were delays with Halifax processing my dividends, and others here to it seems, they were 10 days late sometimes, and according to their rules that’s allowed, frustrating to wait for the divs to show though it was. They got there eventually and they’re more on schedule nowadays.

Ian.

Indeed Ian, it was around that time I moved one of my ISA's over to Hargreaves Lansdown as I wanted to merge it with the ISA I already had at HL.

I now only have a single ISA and a SIPP which is easier to manage/monitor although they are with different providers for safety.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”