Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Persimmon Half Year Results.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Re: Persimmon Half Year Results.

Postby MDW1954 » August 18th, 2021, 8:35 pm

idpickering wrote:
kempiejon wrote:
idpickering wrote:We digress, I'm still toying with buying into PSN at some point, maybe?

If you want someone to talk you down Ian have a quick squizz at https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... y?epic=PSN
doesn't look like the most reliable/sustainable of dividends.
I hold and have done alright out of them thank you but even forgiving the covid effect historic income looks patchy, as can be the way with such creatures mind.

Thanks for that. Very patchy indeed. Not one of the plodding steady type of HYP shares, with a rising dividend then? Mind you, we all know of some shares who’ve held their dividend static for years don’t we?.... ;)

Ian.

Ian,

And if you want someone else to talk you down, I'd say this:

The image that you project on this board is that of a reasonably active trader of HYP shares. I say that not as a criticism, just an observation, based on your own posts of reported purchases and sales.

Earlier on in this thread, you reported having previously bought PSN, and then sold it, for reasons that you didn't recall.

So before buying PSN again, I'd urge you to consult your records, and ask yourself this: when you sold previously PSN, did you sell it at the bottom of the cycle, having bought it at the top? And at a hefty capital loss?

Because if you did so once, what's to stop you doing so again? For you'd be buying it at close to the top of the cycle now, I'd wager.

As I say, not a criticism...

MDW1954

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 18th, 2021, 8:42 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
idpickering wrote:
kempiejon wrote:
If you want someone to talk you down Ian have a quick squizz at https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... y?epic=PSN
I hold and have done alright out of them thank you but even forgiving the covid effect historic income looks patchy, as can be the way with such creatures mind.

Thanks for that. Very patchy indeed. Not one of the plodding steady type of HYP shares, with a rising dividend then? Mind you, we all know of some shares who’ve held their dividend static for years don’t we?.... ;)

Ian.

Ian,

And if you want someone else to talk you down, I'd say this:

The image that you project on this board is that of a reasonably active trader of HYP shares. I say that not as a criticism, just an observation, based on your own posts of reported purchases and sales.

Earlier on in this thread, you reported having previously bought PSN, and then sold it, for reasons that you didn't recall.

So before buying PSN again, I'd urge you to consult your records, and ask yourself this: when you sold previously PSN, did you sell it at the bottom of the cycle, having bought it at the top? And at a hefty capital loss?

Because if you did so once, what's to stop you doing so again? For you'd be buying it at close to the top of the cycle now, I'd wager.

As I say, not a criticism...

MDW1954

Wise words indeed Malcolm, thank you. Tbh, the more I think about it, the more I’m likely to not bother with PSN at all.

As for trading, I am trying to be a better HYPer, and stick with what I’ve got and no fiddling with my HYP shares.

Ian.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 18th, 2021, 10:17 pm

idpickering wrote:As for trading, I am trying to be a better HYPer, and stick with what I’ve got and no fiddling with my HYP shares.
Becoming Ian "Doris" Pickering maybe? ;)

Chris

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 19th, 2021, 4:09 am

csearle wrote:
idpickering wrote:As for trading, I am trying to be a better HYPer, and stick with what I’ve got and no fiddling with my HYP shares.
Becoming Ian "Doris" Pickering maybe? ;)

Chris

As it ideally should be here. Sadly, life’s events happen, and one has to adjust, even if it means going against the HYP grain. But hopefully, no more.

My mulling over PSN is over. No thanks, maybe? Lol

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 19th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Breelander wrote:
idpickering wrote:
kempiejon wrote:

What you have to bear in mind is that the dividenddata site only records actual payments of dividends. For 2013, 2014 and 2015 Persimmon paid shareholders capital returns totalling 240p by means of a B/C share scheme, not as actual dividends.

See: https://www.persimmonhomes.com/corporat ... -programme

Actually, the dividenddata site does record the payments made with B/C share schemes - but it records them as special dividends, not normal dividends, and so they only make it into dividenddata's table of dividends paid, not into their totals for the years, and so also not into their bar chart. And if you look at the payment dates for the 75p, 70p and 95p special dividends in your link, they're much closer to the normal final dividend payment dates for 2012, 2013 and 2014 respectively for a company whose financial year ends on December 31st than they are to those dates for 2013, 2014 and 2015 respectively - so from the point of view of a HYPer who wants income each year, preferably steadily rising, Persimmon's annual dividend totals record has been reasonably close to (with the 'special dividends' asterisked):

2000: 12.40p
2001: 13.70p
2002: 15.15p
2003: 18.30p
2004: 27.50p
2005: 31.00p
2006: 46.50p
2007: 51.20p
2008: 5.00p
2009: 0.00p
2010: 7.50p
2011: 10.00p
2012: 75.00p*
2013: 70.00p*
2014: 95.00p*
2015: 110.00p
2016: 135.00p
2017: 235.00p
2018: 235.00p
2019: 0.00p
2020: 110.00p
2021: 235.00p

Not a perfect record from a HYPer's point of view, of course, but dividend cancellations for the financial crisis and for Covid, both recovered from within a few years, and a small 7% setback between 2012 and 2013 in what was otherwise a pretty steep rise is a good deal less patchy than the dividenddata bar chart makes the record look!

By the way, this isn't meant as a criticism of dividenddata. B/C share schemes offered shareholders the choice of whether to receive the payment as dividend income or a capital payment, so the three asterisks in the above list should be thought of as standing for " or 0.00p (shareholder's choice)". Not an easy thing to represent well in a bar chart, especially when you're trying to quickly and automatically process a lot of companies! And for anyone who doesn't already know: that shareholder's choice was of no value to those who held their shares in tax-sheltered accounts, but some value to those who held their shares in unsheltered accounts, due to being able to optimise their use of their personal allowance, CGT allowance and tax bands. And companies don't do B/C share schemes any more because a tax rule change was made, saying that whenever a company offers a choice between receiving a payment as dividend income or a capital payment, the tax system will treat it as dividend income regardless.

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”