Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Abandoned HYPs ye entered here, now sat gathering dust (and, presumably, cash)

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Abandoned HYPs ye entered here, now sat gathering dust (and, presumably, cash)

Postby moorfield » August 27th, 2021, 10:52 pm

It struck me today that this place has become a little poorer for the disappearance of portfolios that used to be regularly reported here.

Those that spring to mind in particular (I'm sure there are others):

PYAD_2019_04 DRAWDOWN, last seen here viewtopic.php?p=323586#p323586

PYAD_2019_04 REINVEST, last seen here viewtopic.php?p=323586#p323586

Do we know if IanTHughes is having an extended flounce, been banned, or otherwise?

And:

GDHYP, last seen here (pre-pandemic) following purchase 51 viewtopic.php?t=13316

Gengulphus had a flounce (or perhaps a flouncette) in the meantime iirc, but has been back here posting for a while.

It would be interesting to see what state they are in now, even if they have just been left alone gathering cash.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Abandoned HYPs ye entered here, now sat gathering dust (and, presumably, cash)

Postby csearle » August 27th, 2021, 11:15 pm

moorfield wrote:Do we know if IanTHughes is having an extended flounce, been banned, or otherwise?
My understanding is that Ian has not been banned but, rather, got pissed off at the moderators. I hope he resumes posting at some time because - although he can be hard work - his contributions on HYP are often excellent. C.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Abandoned HYPs ye entered here, now sat gathering dust (and, presumably, cash)

Postby csearle » August 27th, 2021, 11:37 pm

Dod101 wrote:
csearle wrote:
moorfield wrote:Do we know if IanTHughes is having an extended flounce, been banned, or otherwise?
My understanding is that Ian has not been banned but, rather, got pissed off at the moderators. I hope he resumes posting at some time because - although he can be hard work for the moderators - his contributions on HYP are often excellent. C.

[Citation of deleted post removed.] However i do sympathise with moorfield although the HYP idea has not worked very well for some years as most will now realise.

Dod
Not quite sure what you are talking about. My HYP is doing just fine thanks. There was a dip in income during the pandemic but that is recovering back up to normal. In fact what with top-ups made (using HYPTUSS as a starting point) during the dips of the last year or so my monthly income from my HYP is today at a record high according to my spreadsheet. C.

[Edit: in fact it would cover my rent and council tax at the moment.]

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » August 27th, 2021, 11:42 pm

csearle wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
csearle wrote:My understanding is that Ian has not been banned but, rather, got pissed off at the moderators. I hope he resumes posting at some time because - although he can be hard work for the moderators - his contributions on HYP are often excellent. C.

[Citation of deleted post.]
Not quite sure what you are talking about. My HYP is doing just fine thanks. There was a dip in income during the pandemic but that is recovering back up to normal. In fact what with top-ups made (using HYPTUSS as a starting point) during the dips of the last year or so my monthly income from my HYP is today at a record high according to my spreadsheet. C.

Lucky you, the losers in my HYP have still eaten more capital than the gains from winners and the dividends from winners and losers have returned.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 27th, 2021, 11:44 pm

csearle wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
csearle wrote:My understanding is that Ian has not been banned but, rather, got pissed off at the moderators. I hope he resumes posting at some time because - although he can be hard work for the moderators - his contributions on HYP are often excellent. C.

[Citation of deleted post]

I was entering into the spirit of moorfield but then I am more of a TSR man than a dedicated HYPer

Dod

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » August 27th, 2021, 11:48 pm

Dod101 wrote:
csearle wrote:
Dod101 wrote:[Citation of deleted post]

I was entering into the spirit of moorfield but then I am more of a TSR man than a dedicated HYPer

Dod

I think the lower volume of messages from an ever dwindling number of posters on this board in recent times is a good indicator of the ‘State of the HYP Nation’.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 27th, 2021, 11:52 pm

Wizard wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
csearle wrote:Not quite sure what you are talking about. My HYP is doing just fine thanks. There was a dip in income during the pandemic but that is recovering back up to normal. In fact what with top-ups made (using HYPTUSS as a starting point) during the dips of the last year or so my monthly income from my HYP is today at a record high according to my spreadsheet. C.

I think the lower volume of messages from an ever dwindling number of posters on this board in recent times is a good indicator of the ‘State of the HYP Nation’.

I can't say that I monitor the number of posts on the HY boards to know either way. But what I have noticed is there are fewer arguments of the type we used to endlessly see on TMF and TLF about the strategy. And given the headaches they caused moderators in the past, it might be no bad thing if there is now less interest and passion around the topic.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 28th, 2021, 12:07 am

Dod101 wrote:I was entering into the spirit of moorfield but then I am more of a TSR man than a dedicated HYPer
The red line atop this graph is my unitised HYP progress over the last eight years or so as compared to FTSE 100 and FTSE All-Share (albeit not their TR plots). Whilst it is not at its peak it isn't far off. The income part of this (which as I say is at a record high thanks to regular re-investment) makes me think that the HYP should not be regarded as a disappointment. I have not compared it with the myriad of other things I could be invested in mind you. C.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 28th, 2021, 7:27 am

i abandoned the hyp concept many many years ago after a few weeks flirtation .

8-)

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 28th, 2021, 8:25 am

Wizard wrote:I think the lower volume of messages from an ever dwindling number of posters on this board in recent times is a good indicator of the ‘State of the HYP Nation’.

Personally I have culled what I need from Stephen Bland's HYP canon and it's working for me. Certainly I feel I'm getting bored of this board, I may not flounce but wouldn't be surprised if I find myself posting less and less. It is mostly variations on and repetitions of the same themes (rather reminiscent of the interminable Sunday services I was dragged to as a child!) and company news; probably I stopped learning anything new a long time ago. However the portfolio reports were interesting, which is why I posted the question.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » August 28th, 2021, 8:40 am

The HYP strategy worked for me when I was starting out with money to add to it on a regular basis and time to work on it and enjoy seeing the "fruits" of my labour. Spin on some years and it stabilised, was taking some time to "manage", rule changes on Pension drawdown arrived, also a TMF thread on "what to with HYP when you cannot or do not want to manage it" made me think. So a slight swing away from Equities with 50% of my SIPP going to "income" IT's. Wind forward a bit and semi retirement came, lot less going into HYP and decision to only invest my SIPP in IT's going forward. I also inherited a HYP portfolio and decided on some major building work, this allowed me to rebuild the HYP and get rid of some deadwood and rebalance. The closer I got to full retirement the less I wanted to "manage" the portfolio. As I took retirement decided to work towards making SIPP IT's only and "pay away" all my dividends from HYP portfolio with little reinvestment, other than some rebalancing. Then along comes "the pandemic" and a granddaughter. Realised i could live well on just my DB and state pension. Set a plan of investments in a JISA for her and a decision to look at "growth IT's" in SIPP as a inheritance move. My HYP still exists and will continue, more as a "hobby" than anything else as "new" money will go into the JISA first (possible 2nd one needed at some point). I report my portfolio annually, I have found that I have gravitated away from this forum, posting less and less (although I do check it daily) as I need inspiration less and less, along with finding the threads less and less of any value.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 28th, 2021, 10:12 am

Although I still believe in HYP, and this board, I’m often wary of what I post as the naysayers, who seem to enjoy being awkward, all to often divert and spoil threads that I might’ve started, making coming here at all, not a nice experience sometimes. Imho, if they don’t like HYPing, why come to this board at all. Go spout your bile elsewhere and let us live in peace here.

Ian.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 28th, 2021, 10:17 am

seagles wrote:I report my portfolio annually,

I'm not sure I even feel the need to report that often now... My own portfolio has recovered well, and doesn't really need to be fiddled with for at least the next sixteen months, and then maybe I'll give it another year. So another "full" report in 2024. Maybe. Perhaps IanTHughes and Gengulphus feel the same about theirs.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 28th, 2021, 10:24 am

idpickering wrote: Imho, if they don’t like HYPing, why come to this board at all.

Because they are contemplating taking a HYP approach to investing, perhaps? You should be wary of chasing people out of the village, or you might find eventually you are the only one left!

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 28th, 2021, 11:13 am

idpickering wrote:Although I still believe in HYP, and this board, I’m often wary of what I post as the naysayers, who seem to enjoy being awkward, all to often divert and spoil threads that I might’ve started, making coming here at all, not a nice experience sometimes. Imho, if they don’t like HYPing, why come to this board at all. Go spout your bile elsewhere and let us live in peace here.

Ian.

Well I recall one poor chap was hounded off this board by the purists. He had nearly all his pension money in HYP type investments, but he also had a couple of ITs to increase his international exposure. Any mention of his ITs and it was like he'd said the name of Jehovah! Ironic given some of those throwing stones had other pension pots which were growth funds. A bit of live-and-let-live would have helped everyone.

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » August 28th, 2021, 11:16 am

We all have our variations of what a HYP is and it isn't. My version, luckily, requires little skill and certainly hardly any discussion. It performs well enough for me. I’m sure with effort, cunning and luck, I could do better but I’d rather be doing other things. I read the board daily though and enjoy much of the information content. I know that make me a bit of a leech and I’m sorry about that.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 28th, 2021, 11:18 am

MrFoolish wrote:
idpickering wrote:Although I still believe in HYP, and this board, I’m often wary of what I post as the naysayers, who seem to enjoy being awkward, all to often divert and spoil threads that I might’ve started, making coming here at all, not a nice experience sometimes. Imho, if they don’t like HYPing, why come to this board at all. Go spout your bile elsewhere and let us live in peace here.

Ian.

Well I recall one poor chap was hounded off this board by the purists. He had nearly all his pension money in HYP type investments, but he also had a couple of ITs to increase his international exposure. Any mention of his ITs and it was like he'd said the name of Jehovah! Ironic given some of those throwing stones had other pension pots which were growth funds. A bit of live-and-let-live would have helped everyone.

Quite.
Any deviation from the pure HYP approach would lead to tittle tattle to the senior prefects who would then step in and cut things short.
I mentioned moving from a HYP approach to one of using ITs/trackers and it lasted about 10 minutes before the white box of doom appeared.
Shame. Because the exposure to the S&P500 has improved my capital significantly compared with my HYP.
But capital is only secondary, right? :lol:

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 28th, 2021, 11:31 am

MrFoolish wrote: A bit of live-and-let-live would have helped everyone.

I think that has since been encapsulated in the Breelander Convention, in a welcome attempt to attract more bees to this honeypot (or should that be flies to...)

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 28th, 2021, 11:46 am

moorfield wrote:

I think that has since been encapsulated in the Breelander Convention, in a welcome attempt to attract more bees to this honeypot (or should that be flies to...)

The problem is some of the senior prefects seem to have missed the memo.

The big white box that appears within a very short time symbolises the problem quite nicely! (Though not that particular prefect I might add)

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » August 28th, 2021, 11:55 am

absolutezero wrote:
moorfield wrote:

The problem is some of the senior prefects seem to have missed the memo.

The big white box that appears within a very short time symbolises the problem quite nicely! (Though not that particular prefect I might add)

I may have missed some of the white boxes as I only tend to view threads that attract my attention (usually shares I own or have interest in), but I believe that the "white box" usually appears after a poster talks about buying or selling the off topic share. There does seem to be a distinct group that ignore or do not read the "guidelines" of this board.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”