Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Abandoned HYPs ye entered here, now sat gathering dust (and, presumably, cash)

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Abandoned HYPs ye entered here, now sat gathering dust (and, presumably, cash)

Postby Arborbridge » August 28th, 2021, 6:52 pm

moorfield wrote:To add to what onthemove wrote and for balance there are also evidently some rather thin skinned contributors here who can be equally hard work (as csearle puts it); there are also some who may be acting within the letter of the board guidelines but (imo) not within the spirit of HYP.

Internet forums, and particularly popular ones such as this, tend to be places of robust debate rather than tea parties and that shouldn't surprise anybody really, and personally I think that's a good thing. Since IanTHughes has already been namechecked (edit: by me actually, ha ha) I would add that putting his (obvious) hyperbole and froth to one side some of my debates with him made me think carefully about how I constructed my arguments and run my own portfolio, and for that I am appreciative. He offered some "chalk n cheese" factor to proceedings here.

Anyway this thread is starting to drift away a little from my OP. To add to the fun, I may start reporting your posts if that carries on. You know who you are. ;)

Well, I was going to write something similar. Ian Hughes and I have had the occasional run-in :) but it's the abrasive style rather than content which I found distracting. He had some fine needle matches which could have been lower temperature. However, he is one of the more robust HYPers and believes in the principle of it and his methods for accounting about it, so hooray for that, say I. Better that than a constant sniping from people only interested in TR and not in HYP as a way of producing income. We know may not be the best system for TR - tell us something new! - but then, someone will always trump whatever scheme someone invents. Sniping from the TR grandstand is as pointless as it is irrelevant.

Arb.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Re: Abandoned HYPs ye entered here, now sat gathering dust (and, presumably, cash)

Postby OLTB » August 28th, 2021, 7:00 pm

I’ve read this thread with great interest! I found that when I started my HYP I posted quite a bit, however, now it’s in place, I don’t feel I can add much aside from the annual review and odd top-up decision. When a decision needs to be made for one of the holdings (BHP’s sale of petroleum assets to Woodside in the future as an example) then there may be more postings, but aside from that, it just ticks along. I’ve learned plenty from the board and thank you to all for that.

Cheers, OLTB.

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » August 28th, 2021, 7:08 pm

I love my HYP.

I love the fact it racks up a decent return regardless of the market. Oh did I mention mine has ETFs, bank prefs, bonds, and PIBS. And ITs, and REITs and a few single shares. What is that you say? It doesn't follow the rules? Well sod the rules. Pure HYP was always a load of blinkered nonsense so good riddance to that.

Bland by name...

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 28th, 2021, 7:51 pm

onthemove wrote:To spell it out, it really needs the mods to use their 'moderator's decision is final' discretion, to actively bar individuals from posting on specific boards where their continued posting on those boards is clearly not constructive to the topic of the board.
I agree almost entirely with your post. Duly recc'd. I argued for exactly this power but failed, clearly, to make the case strongly enough. We did however get the facility to ban contributors from the whole site, but that seems to me to be somewhat harsh, even for serial disruptors here. Easing one or two out of the room (temporarily of permanently) would have been worth a try IMO.

This whole thread (well apart from the OP's observations) should really be elsewhere as 99% of it is clearly off-topic but it might serve a useful purpose.

Chris

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 28th, 2021, 8:23 pm

Dod101 wrote:I hope that onthemove does not think I am one of the anti HYP posters because as an income investor I am not but I am well aware of its weaknesses and try to compensate for that by picking growth shares as well and going for slightly lower yields for my income shares. Whatever Arb says, and I appreciate his comments, the fact is that the four shares that I have cited are/were stalwarts in any HYP, but all their dividends and more has been lost by the dramatic capital losses over the last five years or so. I am of course being wise after the event, but who would have thought?

The jury is still out on what I do, if anything, and as a matter of fact, it is not because I do not want to recognise the losses. I have these losses and that is currently just too bad. My question is do I see these shares as worth hanging on to for the longer term and will there be any further dividend cuts? On balance I am inclined to think not. Imperial seems to me to be the most vulnerable.

Dod

It may be worth your while looking at one of my posts which compares share price movements from one year to the next. What has gone down this year may well rise next year, or perhaps the year after. See viewtopic.php?p=372871#p372871 for an example.

TJH

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 28th, 2021, 8:52 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I hope that onthemove does not think I am one of the anti HYP posters because as an income investor I am not but I am well aware of its weaknesses and try to compensate for that by picking growth shares as well and going for slightly lower yields for my income shares. Whatever Arb says, and I appreciate his comments, the fact is that the four shares that I have cited are/were stalwarts in any HYP, but all their dividends and more has been lost by the dramatic capital losses over the last five years or so. I am of course being wise after the event, but who would have thought?

The jury is still out on what I do, if anything, and as a matter of fact, it is not because I do not want to recognise the losses. I have these losses and that is currently just too bad. My question is do I see these shares as worth hanging on to for the longer term and will there be any further dividend cuts? On balance I am inclined to think not. Imperial seems to me to be the most vulnerable.

Dod

It may be worth your while looking at one of my posts which compares share price movements from one year to the next. What has gone down this year may well rise next year, or perhaps the year after. See viewtopic.php?p=372871#p372871 for an example.

TJH

Terry,

A share might be constantly shedding value following a trend but might be mid table throughout and thus the fall is not immediately apparent, especially with a snap shot in time.

"This years losers might be next years winners & vice versa" but are there shares that "drip away" year after year and end up in a puddle ?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 28th, 2021, 8:56 pm

tjh290633 wrote:

Dod

TJH

I know but as monabri has indicated, the shares that I have quoted, Shell, HSBC and the two tobaccos have been poor performers for well over the last year and show no sign of recovery. However I will probably retain them at least for now.

Dod

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » August 28th, 2021, 9:31 pm

absolutezero wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:
Moderator Message:
A quick word on moderation, to correct or clarify some of what has been said.

* There are three moderators of this board. All are active HYPers.

Active. HYPers.
Bites tongue :lol:

I think it was clear what I meant. OK, one is an active HYPer, the other two just HYP.

Either way, we're all HYPers.

MDW1954

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » August 28th, 2021, 10:40 pm

Padders72 wrote:I love my HYP.

I love the fact it racks up a decent return regardless of the market. Oh did I mention mine has ETFs, bank prefs, bonds, and PIBS. And ITs, and REITs and a few single shares. What is that you say? It doesn't follow the rules? Well sod the rules. Pure HYP was always a load of blinkered nonsense so good riddance to that.

Bland by name...

Sounds similar to my IP, mix of HYP shares, High yield ETFs couple of bank Prefs, couple of ITs. Capital is at the highest ever, income is much improved after a big drop last year. It will be back above 2019s income by the end of the year ( it's already there if I count Pennon's special). So a pretty quick rebound on the income front.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 28th, 2021, 10:48 pm

Bland by name...

Just call it something else. I suggest you take the PHYS (Portfolio Of High Yield Securities).

Only Mr Bland can opine on whether he feels his acronym is being misappropriated by this board or not.

That rhymes with "fizz", by the way.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » August 28th, 2021, 11:19 pm

moorfield wrote:It struck me today that this place has become a little poorer for the disappearance of portfolios that used to be regularly reported here.

Those that spring to mind in particular (I'm sure there are others):

PYAD_2019_04 DRAWDOWN, last seen here viewtopic.php?p=323586#p323586

PYAD_2019_04 REINVEST, last seen here viewtopic.php?p=323586#p323586

Do we know if IanTHughes is having an extended flounce, been banned, or otherwise?

And:

GDHYP, last seen here (pre-pandemic) following purchase 51 viewtopic.php?t=13316

Gengulphus had a flounce (or perhaps a flouncette) in the meantime iirc, but has been back here posting for a while.

It would be interesting to see what state they are in now, even if they have just been left alone gathering cash.

To return to the initial question. If IanTHughes no longer posts here that explains why two of the three portfolios mentioned have not been reported on recently, but what of GDHYP? Does anyone know?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 28th, 2021, 11:19 pm

monabri wrote:Terry,

A share might be constantly shedding value following a trend but might be mid table throughout and thus the fall is not immediately apparent, especially with a snap shot in time.

"This years losers might be next years winners & vice versa" but are there shares that "drip away" year after year and end up in a puddle?

There are celebrated cases, Cattles and Carillion, for example.

Looking at my tables in viewtopic.php?p=372871#p372871 there are few which do that. SSE is one which has recovered from a spell in the dumps, for example. Others are still there but their time may come.

TJH

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » August 28th, 2021, 11:20 pm

moorfield wrote:

Bland by name...

Just call it something else. I suggest you take the PHYS (Portfolio Of High Yield Securities).

Only Mr Bland can opine on whether he feels his acronym is being misappropriated by this board or not.

That rhymes with "fizz", by the way.

Well I could but AFAIK he never copyrighted the 3 letter version so I can presumably use that.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 28th, 2021, 11:21 pm

Wizard wrote:To return to the initial question. If IanTHughes no longer posts here that explains why two of the three portfolios mentioned have not been reported on recently, but what of GDHYP? Does anyone know?

Thanks for bringing this back O/T Wizard. I do hope Gengulphus may have clocked the question already, or if he is otherwise preoccupied, will do soon.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 28th, 2021, 11:27 pm

Padders72 wrote:
Well I could but AFAIK he never copyrighted the 3 letter version so I can presumably use that.

No he isn't, I'm Spartacus. :mrgreen:

With those 18 words you might just have shifted a few tectonic plates ...! :x Chapeau to you sir, and at this time of night ....

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 28th, 2021, 11:35 pm

moorfield wrote:
Wizard wrote:To return to the initial question. If IanTHughes no longer posts here that explains why two of the three portfolios mentioned have not been reported on recently, but what of GDHYP? Does anyone know?

Thanks for bringing this back O/T Wizard. I do hope Gengulphus may have clocked the question already, or if he is otherwise preoccupied, will do soon.

He might although he demurred the issue the last time you raised it. Or else did not see it.

viewtopic.php?t=26484

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 28th, 2021, 11:40 pm

Lootman wrote:
moorfield wrote:

He might although he demurred the issue the last time you raised it. Or else did not see it.

viewtopic.php?t=26484

Yes indeed, I was thinking firstly about IanTHughes reports, and thought I'd namecheck GDHYP once more. The floor is open, I guess ...

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » August 29th, 2021, 7:59 am

I don't tend to post about my HYP these days for a few reasons, but mainly because it's built, and I live off it, so it's very rare that I am looking to add a new share. In that respect, I have moved into the "Doris" phase of HYPing.

Any changes that I do make when forced to (e.g. with Morrisons about to be taken over) I tend to consider non-HYP options. ITs are currently my vehicle of choice, simply because they (IMHO) will need less tinkering in order to avoid the imbalances demonstrated by HYP1* over the expected remaining ownership period, and that is important (to me) in the latter stages of HYP, should it be Mrs VRD having to make any reinvestment decisions. That doesn't mean I won't still look at HYP shares, or indeed reinvest into one, but these days I do tend to look a little wider than the FTSE 100 / upper reaches of the 250.

Where Stephen's "Doris" had an accountant managing the HYP in her dotage, in my world that's not going to happen; my approach now is "HYP end game" that the original HYP strategy glossed over, as the target audience was the HYP builder, not the HYP pensioner. I will remain ever grateful to PYAD for introducing me to HYP; a wake-up call to taking control of my own finances and an enabler of early retirement (at 50) that I would never have realised was an option had I remained in the hands of the professionals. The fact that I can now build on that knowledge and do a little more than pure HYP is, in my mind, something to thank HYP for, rather than condemn or besmirch it; without HYP, I don't think I'd have even thought about any other alternatives to pension companies.

So not abandoned, but just chugging along rather nicely. As per the original Fool mandate, I have also been educated, amused and enriched along the way. Not a bad result...

VRD

*One IT may well be more successful than another, but the diversification within the ITs makes that less of an issue than the same imbalance concentrated in a single company share (again, IMHO).

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 29th, 2021, 8:13 am

vrdiver wrote:
The fact that I can now build on that knowledge and do a little more than pure HYP is, in my mind, something to thank HYP for, rather than condemn or besmirch it

Absolutely this...

Pyad turned a financial light on for me, which I'll always be grateful for.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 29th, 2021, 9:52 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
vrdiver wrote:
The fact that I can now build on that knowledge and do a little more than pure HYP is, in my mind, something to thank HYP for, rather than condemn or besmirch it

Absolutely this...

Pyad turned a financial light on for me, which I'll always be grateful for.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Perhaps that is really the perennial problem with this board as some find it. It and some of its proponents are quick to suffocate and resist the development of many interesting discussions here as "not HYP". Some even use stronger language such as "bile".

Preference shares.
International shares.
Regular selling and buying and selling again, for no apparent reason other than "news" or "feel".

Not according to the guidelines, and yet many here call that "HYP" anyway (viz. Padders72).

So why not a change of tack and a fresh reboot of this place? Allow the guidelines to evolve and build too and capture that knowledge as it is contributed and debated here, settled by communal polls perhaps.

Pyad Stephen Bland switched on the HYP light (and incidentally he is not credited or namechecked for that in LF's guidelines), but this is a place that can build on that, and could be better for it I think.

Now even I am drifting O/T on my own thread (might have to report myself!).

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”