Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

What did I miss?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

What did I miss?

Postby Arborbridge » September 14th, 2021, 7:11 pm

I've been away for just a week sailing - and what did I miss?

My HYP has dropped 2% and my forecast income has taken a knock too. That's a big change but the world doesn't seem any different.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: What did I miss?

Postby idpickering » September 14th, 2021, 7:18 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I've been away for just a week sailing - and what did I miss?

My HYP has dropped 2% and my forecast income has taken a knock too. That's a big change but the world doesn't seem any different.

Arb.

Welcome back Arb. I don’t think you’ve missed much really, just the usual market noise.
Either way, in HYPland, a week is just a blink of the eye hereabouts. I’ve ignored all the noise this last week and haven’t touched my HYP since my top up last month.

Ian.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 14th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Arborbridge wrote:....what did I miss?

US jobs numbers.... UK supply chain... travel sector... China interferes in tech cos... ore prices.... nothing exceptional really.
On the plus side, I watered the garden and so it rained.

V8

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 14th, 2021, 10:55 pm

88V8 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:....what did I miss?

US jobs numbers.... UK supply chain... travel sector... China interferes in tech cos... ore prices.... nothing exceptional really.
On the plus side, I watered the garden and so it rained.

V8

Just the usual, so time to top up. 2% is a big fall, but interestingly my wife's HYP fell only 1%.

Arb.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 15th, 2021, 10:39 am

Arborbridge wrote:I've been away for just a week sailing - and what did I miss?

Take a look at a FTSE100 chart for the last 6 months, e.g. the one at https://markets.ft.com/data/indices/tea ... s=FTSE:FSI. That shows the index varying from a bit under 6700 to a bit over 7200 over the period, so a 1% change to it has been fairly close to 70 points throughout the period. Since you're interested in 2% changes in a week, look for movements over about a week (5 of the vertical bars at the bottom of the chart) by about 140 points (a bit under one and a half vertical divisions on the chart). I count about three upwards such movements and five downwards (that's to my eye - some are a bit borderline, so other people's counts may vary a bit).

Drag that chart sideways by about four times its width, to take it back to a similar period about 2 years ago. The index values back then varied from a bit under 7100 to nearly 7700. So 2% changes were ones by about 150 points then (i.e. roughly one and a half vertical divisions rather than a bit less, but that's a difference that is well within the variations of quick 'eyeballed' counts such as I'm doing here). I count about five upwards and four downwards such changes in those 6 months.

Repeating that exercise after going back another 2 years, I find that a vertical movement by about one and a half vertical units is again a 2% change, and I count about three downwards and two upwards such movements in those 6 months.

The point of all that is that portfolio falls by 2% over a week and rises by 2% over a week are completely normal stockmarket behaviour, even for portfolios of very large companies, and not a phenomenon that has emerged since Covid. That doesn't by any means mean that they'll happen every week - but expect both the rises and the falls to happen a few times in any half-year, so that one happening is hardly a noteworthy event, especially for a HYPer with a long-term outlook... If I were a HYP doctor, I'd be tempted to prescribe an early start to No-look November! ;-)

The forecast income having dropped is a bit more noteworthy for a HYPer, I think. I suspect that the somewhat more cautious (and IMHO realistic) noises emerging from government about Covid prospects for the coming winter have been causing analysts to revise their forecasts downwards more than upwards - but that is just a suspicion, nothing more definite than that.

Gengulphus

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 15th, 2021, 10:51 am

88V8 wrote:I watered the garden and so it rained.
V8

I wash my car to make it do the same :lol:

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » September 15th, 2021, 11:09 am

Funny how everyone is commenting on the capital fall rather than the forecast income drop. Just sayin.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 15th, 2021, 12:02 pm

MrFoolish wrote:Funny how everyone is commenting on the capital fall rather than the forecast income drop. Just sayin.

Not everyone - I flagged the income drop and Gengulphus mentioned it too.

I'm sure the capital drop stood out because I have been away for a week though 2% is, as Gen points out, not infrequent. Don't think I am particularly bothered, but seeing this, I just thought I had missed some news.

I put the drop down to Trump's friend, the Rocket Man, doing some testing.

Arb.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”