Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Free Sources for Index Data (FTSE100, etc.)

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
JohnnyCyclops
Lemon Slice

Free Sources for Index Data (FTSE100, etc.)

Postby JohnnyCyclops » September 19th, 2021, 10:39 am

Hi Fools

Does anyone know a free source of index data, including historic data, especial index values. I'm trying to find FTSE100 (chiefly TR) values for the last few years.

The FT Markets and Data pages used to be freely available to access the daily shares and index information ("World Markets at a Glance). They seem to have put that behind a paywall at some point in the last few years. Fair enough.

The links I have still work (in case those WITH an FT subscription find them useful), but selecting Charts or Historic Data is then behind the paywall.

FTSE100 : http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/ ... ?s=UKX:FSI
FTSE100TR : http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/ ... =UKX.T:FSI
FTSE100 Dividend Yield : http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/ ... =UKX.D:FSI
FTSE100 P/E Ratio : http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/ ... =UKX.P:FSI

TIA
JC

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Free Sources for Index Data (FTSE100, etc.)

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 19th, 2021, 11:11 am

JohnnyCyclops wrote:Hi Fools

Does anyone know a free source of index data, including historic data, especial index values. I'm trying to find FTSE100 (chiefly TR) values for the last few years.

TIA
JC

https://uk.investing.com/indices/ftse-100-total-return-historical-data

RC

JohnnyCyclops
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnnyCyclops » September 19th, 2021, 11:13 am

I'll change this thread from a question to an answer. As in, I've now answered my own question!

Curiously, TLF doesn't seem to allow me to edit my original post (or, I'm looking in the wrong place).

Possibly my new fav site uk.investing.com rides to the rescue!

FTSE100 : https://uk.investing.com/indices/uk-100-historical-data
FTSE100TR: https://uk.investing.com/indices/ftse-1 ... rical-data

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 19th, 2021, 12:46 pm

JohnnyCyclops wrote:Curiously, TLF doesn't seem to allow me to edit my original post (or, I'm looking in the wrong place).

They do, but only for the first 15 minutes after you've posted it - good for correcting simple mistakes that you spotted just after posting, adding an extra thought that you'd meant to include and realised just too late that you hadn't, etc. It's conventional to put something like "Edit:" before any significant additions or changes you make, to avoid confusing those who read your post before the edit and find themselves reading something different later. Editing one's own post is limited in that way because unlimited editing of one's own posts can be a playground for trolls...

Replying to one's own post is a perfectly acceptable way to add to it later - and indeed can be better than editing it because it allows readers to see the sequence of contributions to the thread (for the same reason, if you edit your own post within the 15 minutes allowed, the system will automatically insert a note saying that it's been edited if anyone has contributed to the thread between submitting the original version and submitting the edited version).

If you discover a mistake in a post of yours after the 15 minutes have expired and it really needs correcting in place and not just by a subsequent post to the thread, the moderators are usually willing to correct it in place for you - just report your own post, giving details of what needs correcting and why. This might be appropriate for instance if the mistake is liable to seriously mislead readers, especially if the thread is voluminous enough that they might not see a subsequent post correcting the mistake.

Edit: a post of yours that is still within the 15-minute editing window will have 'pencil' (edit) and 'x' (delete) buttons at its top right, alongside the usual ! (report) and " (reply with quote) buttons. Click on them to start the editing or deleting process. Note that they're valid when you load the page into your browser, i.e. if the post is less than 15 minutes old at that point. If you wait until more than 15 minutes after you submitted the post before clicking on them, the system will tell you that you can't do that, and you've also got to complete the editing process before the 15 minutes are up - so don't take too long to finish the edits!

Gengulphus

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 20th, 2021, 9:26 am

JohnnyCyclops wrote:I'll change this thread from a question to an answer. As in, I've now answered my own question!

Curiously, TLF doesn't seem to allow me to edit my original post (or, I'm looking in the wrong place).

Possibly my new fav site uk.investing.com rides to the rescue!

FTSE100 : https://uk.investing.com/indices/uk-100-historical-data
FTSE100TR: https://uk.investing.com/indices/ftse-1 ... rical-data

I've used this site, but have a problem I haven't been able to solve. For some reason, my PC browsers "think" they have an adblocker and there's no way I seem to be able to get in. I can find no trace of an adblocker being present, but then I don't really know where to look. Following the instructions in the warning from investing.com is usless as I do not have an adblocker icon to start with. I have also tried various remedies suggested by people on TLF, but I am too incompetent to make them work, I guess. I've temporarily circumvented it by using another computer which so far doesn't think it has an adblocker, but it's only a matter of time before investing.com becomes unusable for me on this machine as it did on the other one - unless I take out a subscription, which is quite expensive for a once a month dip in!

Arb.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 20th, 2021, 4:10 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I've used this site, but have a problem I haven't been able to solve. For some reason, my PC browsers "think" they have an adblocker and there's no way I seem to be able to get in. I can find no trace of an adblocker being present, but then I don't really know where to look.

I've hit that problem before, though not recently. I don't use adblockers, but I do use a Hosts table that has the same effect.

Two approaches that can get me past this. The first is to delete all cookies and cached pages for the site. The second is to open the site in a private browsing window.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 20th, 2021, 4:28 pm

Breelander wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I've used this site, but have a problem I haven't been able to solve. For some reason, my PC browsers "think" they have an adblocker and there's no way I seem to be able to get in. I can find no trace of an adblocker being present, but then I don't really know where to look.

I've hit that problem before, though not recently. I don't use adblockers, but I do use a Hosts table that has the same effect.

Two approaches that can get me past this. The first is to delete all cookies and cached pages for the site. The second is to open the site in a private browsing window.

Ooh! Nice one. :D The private window worked, or at least it did for this first try. We'll see what happens next time.
Thanks,

Arb.

minnow

Postby minnow » July 31st, 2022, 1:55 pm

I'm late to this thread but I just wanted to say thanks to JC and everyone else who replied. I spent an hour yesterday trying to track down a reliable source of TR data before finally finding this thread. Sounds like a simple task, but I found myself going round in circles and getting increasingly frustrated. I've bookmarked these pages for future reference :)

Somewhat related, I find it interesting how difficult it can be to find decent total return data. For example, when you click on a stock like BATS in Yahoo Finance, the first thing you see is a chart of price performance (no divis). Yes, you can access the "adjusted close" data if you know what you're looking for, but half the time the divis are incomplete (BATS is a good example). It's no wonder that many investors are a bit fuzzy about these things.

Cynically, I suppose that if investors are being presented with price charts that understate the true returns for divi-paying stocks then there'll probably be less overall demand for them, which means that the rest of us can snap them up on the cheap. So perhaps I'd better not make too much fuss :)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 31st, 2022, 2:04 pm

minnow wrote:
I spent an hour yesterday trying to track down a reliable source of TR data before finally finding this thread.

Sounds like a simple task, but I found myself going round in circles and getting increasingly frustrated. I've bookmarked these pages for future reference :)

Make sure you bookmark this additional one as well, given that it's not yet been mentioned on this relatively old thread -

https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/f/fundsmith-equity-class-i-accumulation/charts

The ability to add and compare the price or total-return of up to seven different investments and investment types, including indexes, on the above Hargreaves Lansdown chart means that it's the one I always tend to use for TR-related chart comparisons.

Note that the above URL will always default to show a 5-year Fundsmith total-return chart initially, but it's a simple enough task to remove that investment and then add your own using the right hand menu system underneath the main chart area.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 31st, 2022, 4:10 pm

I normally use the HL site posted above by IAAG.

There's also the Trustnet chart tool which gives a 10 yr timescale option whereas HL goes back 5 yrs max.

https://www2.trustnet.com/Tools/Charting.aspx

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”