Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Rio Tinto dividend

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Rio Tinto dividend

Postby funduffer » June 25th, 2022, 8:33 am

moorfield wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
If I wish to highlight the dangers of ultra-high yields to income-investors, having plenty of scars to show that such dangers do exist, then I will continue to do so, and if I want to ask where this 'due dilligence' is that others might have carried out that might suggest such ultra-high yields are OK to invest in, then I think that's fair as well...

Yup, well said in a fair post IAAG. I have those scars too, so understand perfectly why you might want to ask that.

I have suggested here in the past that one way to avoid the ultra highest yields (when selecting a new HYP) might be to work upwards from the lowest yield, rather than downwards from the highest yield. Another way might be to simply rule out anything above a certain level, I use 2*CTY as a coarse "ceiling", which has helped me to avoid buying VOD, IMB, RDSB at the "wrong time" in recent years.

Why is RIO's yield so high relative to others now? Because the market believes its current dividend is unsustainable in the long term, surely.

I agree with IAAG, "due diligence" on high yielding shares is not often discussed on this board, and I feel more on this topic would be useful. I personally look at dividend record and cover, and have also looked at free cash flow and shorting activity, but it would be useful to know what other HYPers actually do. Anyway, maybe I will start another thread on this.

Coming back to RIO, in a way it is not an ideal HYP share, because you have to accept that the dividend will be a roller-coaster of boom and bust over the cycle, compared to the ideal of a steadily rising dividend keeping ahead of inflation. Having said that, I think most of us accept this and include commodity shares in our portfolios for the high income they deliver, and rely on a healthy cash buffer to smooth out the peaks and troughs (in the withdrawal phase).

FD

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 25th, 2022, 11:34 am

funduffer wrote:Coming back to RIO, in a way it is not an ideal HYP share, because you have to accept that the dividend will be a roller-coaster of boom and bust over the cycle, compared to the ideal of a steadily rising dividend keeping ahead of inflation. Having said that, I think most of us accept this and include commodity shares in our portfolios for the high income they deliver, and rely on a healthy cash buffer to smooth out the peaks and troughs (in the withdrawal phase).

FD

I know the received wisdom is the cyclic nature of commodity sector but roller coaster, boom and bust, is not what I see in RIOs dividend history. It's a rising income with a couple of short term blips. Over the past 22 years the dividend has been held twice and cut twice. Those 2 cuts have seen the value of income restored in a couple of years and a good flurry of recent specials too.

Over a couple of decades the compound annual growth in income has been in double digits.

from https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... y?epic=rio

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » June 25th, 2022, 8:46 pm

Darka wrote:
moorfield wrote:
Darka wrote:

Most of my recent purchases have been around the CTY yield, and that's good enough for me.

...which begs the obvious question you know I like to ask, but not here... ;) :twisted: :mrgreen:

I can neither confirm nor deny... but I suspect you know the answer :D

<cough> Likewise, you might think that a certain share is my largest holding, but I couldn't possibly confirm it. <cough>

MDW1954

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 25th, 2022, 9:12 pm

I started investing in commodity shares via a unit trust in 1970. That was Ebor Commodity Trust which has changed name and management group several times, now being JP Morgan Natural Resources Fund. I still hold it and so have a 52 year record of it's performance. I mention this fund only because it reflects the roller coaster of investing in miners, oils and the like. It had a decent yield at the outset and this is what led me to be interested in high yield shares.

The capital value has been up and down over the years and I have taken profit from it on a number of occasions. The more interesting factor is the rise and fall of income. Indeed for quite a few years it paid no distributions, only resuming a few years ago. Obviously the fund has to take positions in a number of companies to abide by the rules. Some will be miners, extracting a wide range of minerals, others could be in forestry, plantations, and other extractive industries. I am not at my computer as I write this, so have no quantitative data available.

My message is that, if you invest in miners you have to be prepared for what can be a bumpy ride. The rise and fall is often out of step with the market as a whole. You can profit from them.

TJH

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 25th, 2022, 9:28 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
Darka wrote:
moorfield wrote:
Darka wrote:

Most of my recent purchases have been around the CTY yield, and that's good enough for me.

...which begs the obvious question you know I like to ask, but not here... ;) :twisted: :mrgreen:

<cough> Likewise, you might think that a certain share is my largest holding, but I couldn't possibly confirm it. <cough>

MDW1954

The elephants in the room, as I've written previously. Which begs my second favourite question: What is the point of HYP, really? Probably not one for a RIO thread, I'll admit.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » June 25th, 2022, 9:41 pm

moorfield wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:
Darka wrote:
moorfield wrote:
Darka wrote:

MDW1954

The elephants in the room, as I've written previously. Which begs my second favourite question: What is the point of HYP, really? Probably not one for a RIO thread, I'll admit.

Nothing wrong with running multiple strategies. As I wrote on Monevator a few years back, an IT portfolio is a good choice for investors worried about how their (usually female) partners will manage their investment income if/ when those investors go gaga or predecease said partners.

Roughly (very roughly), one third of my investment income is from HYP shares, and two-thirds from ITs etc.

MDW1954

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 25th, 2022, 10:09 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
Nothing wrong with running multiple strategies. As I wrote on Monevator a few years back, an IT portfolio is a good choice for investors worried about how their (usually female) partners will manage their investment income if/ when those investors go gaga or predecease said partners.

Roughly (very roughly), one third of my investment income is from HYP shares, and two-thirds from ITs etc.

Who said anything about multiple strategies or IT portfolios ? Not me ! :D

The questions I pose in essence boil down to: what makes the HYP strategy itself so unique ?

Moderator Message:
At which point, we must refer discussions of this question to the other board... No more OT discussion in this thread, please. --MDW1954

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 26th, 2022, 10:47 am

moorfield wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:Nothing wrong with running multiple strategies. As I wrote on Monevator a few years back, an IT portfolio is a good choice for investors worried about how their (usually female) partners will manage their investment income if/ when those investors go gaga or predecease said partners.

Who said anything about multiple strategies or IT portfolios ? Not me ! :D
The questions I pose in essence boil down to: what makes the HYP strategy itself so unique ?

HYP is a more engaging hobby than ITs.

I hold Rio, it's done well. Not the time in the supercycle to be adding, imho, but I could well be wrong.

V8

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”