Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HYP - FAQ, is there one?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYP - FAQ, is there one?

Postby DiamondEcho » October 21st, 2017, 9:06 pm

moorfield wrote:I'd suggest 5,6,7 should be revisited. All arbitrary and a little too subjective IMO. I try to be methodical and constent with these kind of criteria, hence my thoughts here.
[5] What does "sector" mean? ICB industry, sector, subsector or a mixture of?
[6] Why 4%, and is that fixed? Why not use a reasonable and relative benchmark yield, eg City of London IT (currently 3.8% ish).
What does "prospective P/E" mean, and why 10?
[7] Why 500m, and is that fixed? Again why not use a reasonable and relative benchmark pool, eg. The Sunday Times "Top 200" list?
Which definition of dividend cover should be used, and why 1.2?

5 - Good question. Considering the original demographic perhaps the sector groupings on the newspaper share page? [This used to give say 15 sectors]. Sub-sectors could perhaps come under 'doubling up' within single sectors?

6 - And another one. You might think it was something relevant to, geared off, the index yield.... IDK
I'd imagine 'prospective' means 'forecast', but not sure, either way forecast would seem a useful benchmark.

7 - It was fixed at that time of writing. We need to update that 'to now' - don't think that'll be too hard given we all have a feel for the overall direction etc.
I'd not go for 'top 200' or else we're back at the FTSE100 and 'half' the 250. Personally I look at the '100' and the top 10-15% of the 250 that really might have a chance of promotion... Either way, Min-Capn might define how deep to go down into the '250'.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 21st, 2017, 9:14 pm

do we have to be prescriptive to 3 decimal places ?

much more important is how to avoid interserve mitie and the like ...

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 21st, 2017, 9:37 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:...for those who wish to move forwards can we use this as a starting point?:
[1]'cost not to exceed 5% of the total portfolio cost;
[2]income contribution not to exceed 5% of the total portfolio income;
[3]weight after top-up not to exceed 1.5 times the median holding weight.
[4]FTSE-100 AVG = 4.6% [at time of writing]
[5]Take top three highest yielding shares per sector, and sift via these criteria:
[6]prospective yield >= 4%, prospective P/E <= 10
[7]market cap >= 500m, dividend cover >= 1.2+''

Sorry, but how much buy-in do you think you're going to get for that highly-specific approach? I could go along with a few of them, but not all of them - I'm not even certain what [4] is intended to mean (the most likely reading I can think of is that the FTSE 100 average yield is 4.6% at the moment, but if that's what's intended, all I can say is that I haven't seen anything saying it's even as high as 4%).

And I don't use actually use any of [1]-[7] in GDHYP - it has criteria somewhat similar to [1]-[3], but:

* I use weight before top-up. (I do use weights by both cost and income contribution.)
* I use limits of 5% for companies, 10% for sectors, and 20% for groups of related sectors - which being constants, neatly avoid the question of whether to use means or medians!
* I don't actually say "not to exceed" those limits - and they often do exceed them temporarily, either as a result of a top-up or because of shifts in dividends changing the income contributions. Indeed, for its first five years or so, it exceeded the 5% limits in [1] and [2] all the time - it was absolutely impossible for it not to exceed at least one 5% limit until it got up to 20 holdings, since the weights of all the holdings have to add up to 100%, and extremely unlikely that it would be perfectly enough balanced not to exceed at least one 5% limit until its number of holdings got to quite a few more than 20.

As I say, I'm not even certain what [4] is intended to mean, but it doesn't bear any relationship I can see to how I run GDHYP. And [5]-[7] don't reflect GDHYP's share selection criteria / process in principle, nor does [6] reflect the shares it selects in practice very well...

My main HYP does actually adhere to [2], and probably to [1] as well - though I'm not certain about that: I don't actually track the cost of holdings in it. I do calculate the cost of the unsheltered parts of holdings as and when needed for CGT purposes, but that's not the full holdings, is only done when I have tinkered a holding, which means I'm never up to date on the costs of more than a small fraction of its holdings, and the rules for calculating costs for CGT purposes are distinctly counterintuitive in some cases. It doesn't fully adhere to any of the others, though it comes close on [7].

Pyad's HYPs (or at least the ones I've seen any detail of) have generally contained about 15 shares, which makes it impossible for them to adhere to [1] or [2]. And from what I've seen of his writings, my impression is that he would disagree with all of the others as well.

I could probably go on about other HYPs not matching one or more of [1]-[7], but that would involve quite a bit of looking for information about other HYPs, with the likely problem that their owners haven't told us all the information needed to determine which they match, and would probably come across as too negative. But reversing it to try to say something positive about the way forward: a FAQ needs to be fairly inclusive of this board's users - it won't be able to please all of them about everything it says, but it does need to please most of them about most of what it says. So the aim should be that it says what's needed to capture the essence of a HYP but not to be more specific than that. In particular, making the FAQ as specific as one particular HYPer's strategy (even one as respected as TJH) is going to end up being ignored, or driving a lot of Fools away, or causing a lot of less-than-civil comments about zealots/purists/hardliners/etc, or producing never-ending disruption, or most likely all of those things!

DiamondEcho wrote:Meanwhile a final chat/consideration, and we should be done.

Done on producing one answer, to an FAQ question along the lines of "What is TJH's HYP strategy?", yes. Done on producing anything more than that small part of a full FAQ, no way!

Gengulphus

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 22nd, 2017, 1:59 pm

I've had a look on TMF, but my article was written in 2012, and a search only goes back to 2013.

Here is the text:

My HYP Way
I have made many contributions to the two High-Yield discussion boards over the years, in the course of which my method of running my High Yield Portfolio (HYP) have been set out. It has been suggested that it would be a good idea to collect all the various principles into a single article, so that reference to them would be made much easier and convenient. The portfolio began in essence when PEPs were introduced in 1987, and so pre-dates the “Classic HYP” put forward by Stephen Bland (TMFpyad) in 2000. It did, however, follow much the same criteria for share selection as laid down then, choosing shares with higher yields and from diverse sectors.

By 1997, I realised that two holdings were over 10% of the portfolio and I realised that, while I could do as I liked, a unit fund would not be allowed to get into this situation. Consequently I established my first personal rule, that 10% should be the maximum weight of any one holding and that any share exceeding that limit should be trimmed back by about 20-25%, that being an economical trade for me at that time. Subsequently as my portfolio grew in numbers and in value, that limit was changed to twice the median holding value (when I had over 20 shares) and then to 1.5 times the median value when the number of shares exceeded 30. Just what anyone else uses depends on their own circumstances, and the size of their portfolio. http://boards.fool.co.uk/that-can-work- ... 11841.aspx gives some of the background.

By 2000 the frequency of trimming began to increase, as the markets got more volatile, and so I had to decide where to invest the proceeds of trimming and accumulated dividends. Up to this time I had chosen either the share with the highest yield or the one with the lowest weight. I came up with a method which combined the rankings of yield and weight to arrive at an order in which shares should be topped up. The method is explained in http://boards.fool.co.uk/thinning-your- ... 22837.aspx and enlarged on in http://boards.fool.co.uk/sorry-didnt-qu ... 72825.aspx at a later date.

As things developed, it became obvious that some shares had outgrown their usefulness in terms of income generation, because their yields were now well below that of the market. Accordingly, I developed my own criteria for disposing of share holdings completely. The criteria are:

1. The share has grown to such an extent that its yield is now less than about half that of the market, typically less than 2%.
2. The company has stopped paying dividends and is unlikely to resume paying them in the foreseeable future.
3. The company is demerging and spinning off shares which would not be selected for an HYP. Such shares might also be less than an economical holding value.

Companies sometimes reduce (rebase) their dividends. If the dividend yield is still in the acceptable range above that of the market average, then I would keep and possibly add to the holding. An example is RSA, which disposed of its life business and accordingly reduced its dividends in 2002. I still hold RSA. However I would not normally buy shares in a company not currently paying a dividend.

One of the problems in tracking the performance of your portfolio is the effect of adding capital, reinvesting dividends and withdrawing cash from the portfolio. After a number of unsuccessful attempts, I finally decided that the best method would be to unitise my portfolio. There is a useful thread on this subject at http://boards.fool.co.uk/unitisation-10 ... sort=whole where post No.36320 by me gives a worked example.

There are two ways of dealing with dividends. You can either let them accumulate inside the units, like the accumulation units of an OEIC, or you can buy extra units with them, like reinvesting in the income units of an OEIC. http://boards.fool.co.uk/now-you-have-l ... 81832.aspx is a post which explains this further. If you wish to compare your portfolio’s performance against an Index like the FTSE100, then using income units makes them directly comparable. If you follow the accumulation unit route, then you would have to use the Total Return version of the index.

A further advantage of using income units is the ability to calculate dividends from the portfolio as dividends per unit. These can then be compared with the RPI directly, to ensure that you are getting an income which is growing at least as fast as retail prices. An example of this can be seen in http://boards.fool.co.uk/im-surprised-t ... 00553.aspx where I show dividends/unit and RPI from a common base.

I hope that collecting the various links together, and providing some historical background, will allow fellow Fools to borrow my ideas freely in their own HYPs.

Terry Harper (TJH290633)

I've left the original TMF links in. Some of those may have been archived, in which case if anybody can find them, I can amend the links.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 22nd, 2017, 7:26 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I've had a look on TMF, but my article was written in 2012, and a search only goes back to 2013.

I've managed to track down its archived versions on the Wayback Machine. It was archived twice, on 30 Sep 2012 and 01 Nov 2012, but unfortunately both were taken at times when TMF only gave a "preview" to people who weren't registered - and the Wayback Machine wasn't registered! And there was also something that went wrong about how the Wayback Machine captured the headers of TMF pages at the time. So the following link requires one to scroll down past the mangled header and then only gives you the start of the article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121101014 ... p-way.aspx

So why am I posting it? The answer is that TMF still allowed us to comment on articles at the time, and the "preview" doesn't exclude the comments. Haven't looked through them yet, but people might be interested in them for further context...

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 22nd, 2017, 8:51 pm

With some additions by me, explained below the quote:

tjh290633 wrote:My HYP Way
I have made many contributions to the two High-Yield discussion boards over the years, in the course of which my method of running my High Yield Portfolio (HYP) have been set out. It has been suggested that it would be a good idea to collect all the various principles into a single article, so that reference to them would be made much easier and convenient. The portfolio began in essence when PEPs were introduced in 1987, and so pre-dates the “Classic HYP” put forward by Stephen Bland (TMFpyad) in 2000. It did, however, follow much the same criteria for share selection as laid down then, choosing shares with higher yields and from diverse sectors.

By 1997, I realised that two holdings were over 10% of the portfolio and I realised that, while I could do as I liked, a unit fund would not be allowed to get into this situation. Consequently I established my first personal rule, that 10% should be the maximum weight of any one holding and that any share exceeding that limit should be trimmed back by about 20-25%, that being an economical trade for me at that time. Subsequently as my portfolio grew in numbers and in value, that limit was changed to twice the median holding value (when I had over 20 shares) and then to 1.5 times the median value when the number of shares exceeded 30. Just what anyone else uses depends on their own circumstances, and the size of their portfolio. http://boards.fool.co.uk/that-can-work- ... 11841.aspx (WBM) gives some of the background.

By 2000 the frequency of trimming began to increase, as the markets got more volatile, and so I had to decide where to invest the proceeds of trimming and accumulated dividends. Up to this time I had chosen either the share with the highest yield or the one with the lowest weight. I came up with a method which combined the rankings of yield and weight to arrive at an order in which shares should be topped up. The method is explained in http://boards.fool.co.uk/thinning-your- ... 22837.aspx (WBM) and enlarged on in http://boards.fool.co.uk/sorry-didnt-qu ... 72825.aspx (WBM)) at a later date.

As things developed, it became obvious that some shares had outgrown their usefulness in terms of income generation, because their yields were now well below that of the market. Accordingly, I developed my own criteria for disposing of share holdings completely. The criteria are:

1. The share has grown to such an extent that its yield is now less than about half that of the market, typically less than 2%.
2. The company has stopped paying dividends and is unlikely to resume paying them in the foreseeable future.
3. The company is demerging and spinning off shares which would not be selected for an HYP. Such shares might also be less than an economical holding value.

Companies sometimes reduce (rebase) their dividends. If the dividend yield is still in the acceptable range above that of the market average, then I would keep and possibly add to the holding. An example is RSA, which disposed of its life business and accordingly reduced its dividends in 2002. I still hold RSA. However I would not normally buy shares in a company not currently paying a dividend.

One of the problems in tracking the performance of your portfolio is the effect of adding capital, reinvesting dividends and withdrawing cash from the portfolio. After a number of unsuccessful attempts, I finally decided that the best method would be to unitise my portfolio. There is a useful thread on this subject at http://boards.fool.co.uk/unitisation-10 ... sort=whole (WBM) where post No.36320 by me gives a worked example.

There are two ways of dealing with dividends. You can either let them accumulate inside the units, like the accumulation units of an OEIC, or you can buy extra units with them, like reinvesting in the income units of an OEIC. http://boards.fool.co.uk/now-you-have-l ... 81832.aspx (not on WBM) is a post which explains this further. If you wish to compare your portfolio’s performance against an Index like the FTSE100, then using income units makes them directly comparable. If you follow the accumulation unit route, then you would have to use the Total Return version of the index.

A further advantage of using income units is the ability to calculate dividends from the portfolio as dividends per unit. These can then be compared with the RPI directly, to ensure that you are getting an income which is growing at least as fast as retail prices. An example of this can be seen in http://boards.fool.co.uk/im-surprised-t ... 00553.aspx (WBM) where I show dividends/unit and RPI from a common base.

I hope that collecting the various links together, and providing some historical background, will allow fellow Fools to borrow my ideas freely in their own HYPs.

Terry Harper (TJH290633)

I've left the original TMF links in. Some of those may have been archived, in which case if anybody can find them, I can amend the links.

I've looked for those links on the Wayback Machine, and found all but one of them - the green "(WBM)" links I've added go to them, and the red "(not on WBM)" non-link is to confirm that I've looked for it and am fairly certain it isn't there. Note that one of the green links goes to an archived copy, the start of which has been mangled during archival to the point of unrecognizability as a TMF post page. But if you scroll down far enough, you'll get past the mangled stuff, and you're still before the start of the post itself. I.e. the post is entirely readable provided you don't give up on the page before you get down to it...

Gengulphus

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 23rd, 2017, 12:04 pm

Thanks for that effort, Gengulphus. I'm afraid that a surfeit of rugby and motor racing yesterday led to an early bath, as Eddy Waring was wont to say.

TJH

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 23rd, 2017, 11:05 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:I've had a look on TMF, but my article was written in 2012, and a search only goes back to 2013.

I've managed to track down its archived versions on the Wayback Machine. It was archived twice, on 30 Sep 2012 and 01 Nov 2012, but unfortunately both were taken at times when TMF only gave a "preview" to people who weren't registered - and the Wayback Machine wasn't registered!

Interestingly, you briefly see a flash of the full article before the 'preview' notice obscures it. If you look at the source html of that archived page it does indeed contain the full text. It should be possible to resurrect a local copy that CAN be read in full.

And indeed it is. Internet Explorer has an option to save a web page. If you save as 'Web page complete (*.htm, *.html)' you can delete fool.min.js from the saved 'My HYP Way - 27-09-2012_aspx_files' folder and you'll be able to open the full article from the local copy of 'My HYP Way - 27-09-2012_aspx.htm'. If you save as 'Web Archive, single file (*.mht)' you don't even need to do that - the 'article preview' spoiler doesn't get included (but you can only read a .mht in IE). Note that for both ways of saving an error will be reported, but the page gets saved despite IE saying it can't be.

Terry's article is here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120930015 ... p-way.aspx
Another related article from around the same time (so it is also a 'preview') to which both Terry and I contributed may also be of interest:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120312035 ... rowth.aspx

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » July 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm

Breelander wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:

I've managed to track down its archived versions on the Wayback Machine. It was archived twice, on 30 Sep 2012 and 01 Nov 2012, but unfortunately both were taken at times when TMF only gave a "preview" to people who weren't registered - and the Wayback Machine wasn't registered!

Interestingly, you briefly see a flash of the full article before the 'preview' notice obscures it. If you look at the source html of that archived page it does indeed contain the full text. It should be possible to resurrect a local copy that CAN be read in full.

And indeed it is. Internet Explorer has an option to save a web page. If you save as 'Web page complete (*.htm, *.html)' you can delete fool.min.js from the saved 'My HYP Way - 27-09-2012_aspx_files' folder and you'll be able to open the full article from the local copy of 'My HYP Way - 27-09-2012_aspx.htm'. If you save as 'Web Archive, single file (*.mht)' you don't even need to do that - the 'article preview' spoiler doesn't get included (but you can only read a .mht in IE). Note that for both ways of saving an error will be reported, but the page gets saved despite IE saying it can't be.

Terry's article is here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120930015 ... p-way.aspx
Another related article from around the same time (so it is also a 'preview') to which both Terry and I contributed may also be of interest:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120312035 ... rowth.aspx

Thanks for this,
Bit of computer faff to get there but two interesting articles.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 22nd, 2020, 3:58 pm

I am the author of the second of those articles. If anyone wants to read it, I can email it to them.

Technically, I can't post it here, because it's TMF's copyright.

MDW1954/ Malcolm Wheatley

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 22nd, 2020, 4:44 pm

MDW1954 wrote:I am the author of the second of those articles. If anyone wants to read it, I can email it to them....

I remember our email conversations leading up to that article :-)

The 'preview' can be removed for the Wayback machine's archived copy by the method I outlined above. You must use Internet Explorer for this and you must save as 'Webpage, complete (*.htm, *.html)' so you can find and delete Fool.min.js from your local copy. Then you can open the saved *.htm file in any browser and read the whole article.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 22nd, 2020, 5:10 pm

MDW1954 wrote:I am the author of the second of those articles. If anyone wants to read it, I can email it to them.

MDW1954/ Malcolm Wheatley

I used to enjoy your offerings to TMF Malcolm then, and am still enjoying your latest items too. You and Stephen Bland have always been my favourites.

Keep the good work.

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 22nd, 2020, 6:21 pm

I have the Powerpoint file that I used at Cambridge, which is arguably more useful than the archived article, as it has a lot more data.

If anyone wants a copy of that, let me know and I can send it to them by email.

TJH

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 22nd, 2020, 6:28 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I have the Powerpoint file that I used at Cambridge, which is arguably more useful than the archived article, as it has a lot more data.

TJH

Yes please, Terry. You have my email address, I think...?

MDW1954

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 22nd, 2020, 10:22 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:I have the Powerpoint file that I used at Cambridge, which is arguably more useful than the archived article, as it has a lot more data.

TJH

Yes please, Terry. You have my email address, I think...?

MDW1954

Yes, I do. It's on its way.

TJH

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 23rd, 2020, 8:01 pm

MDW1954 wrote:I am the author of the second of those articles. If anyone wants to read it, I can email it to them.

Technically, unless the legal arrangement with TMF was something like "TMF gets the copyright, but licenses the author to use it for some limited purposes that include private emails but not public posts", I believe putting a copy of it into an email to someone is just as much copyright infringement as putting a copy of it in a post. Where they differ is in the chances of TMF discovering the copyright infringement and the damages they are likely to be able to prove if they do discover it, and hence the chances of them considering it worthwhile to sue you, not in whether it is copyright infringement.

I'm sure you'll have thought that through - but people (especially those wealthy enough to be worth suing) shouldn't carry away the message that it's completely OK to infringe copyright in private emails!

Gengulphus

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 23rd, 2020, 9:28 pm

Gengulphus wrote:

Technically, unless the legal arrangement with TMF was something like "TMF gets the copyright, but licenses the author to use it for some limited purposes that include private emails but not public posts", I believe putting a copy of it into an email to someone is just as much copyright infringement as putting a copy of it in a post. Where they differ is in the chances of TMF discovering the copyright infringement and the damages they are likely to be able to prove if they do discover it, and hence the chances of them considering it worthwhile to sue you, not in whether it is copyright infringement.

I'm sure you'll have thought that through - but people (especially those wealthy enough to be worth suing) shouldn't carry away the message that it's completely OK to infringe copyright in private emails!

Gengulphus

Thank you, Gengulphus, for wading in to this complex issue, and bringing the legal intricacies of my offer to public prominence. In the 30 years that I have been dealing with copyright issues, this thought had not occurred to me.

Folks, consider this offer withdrawn.

MDW1954

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”