Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Oil & Gas & Energy (Sector & Companies) - general board use

dspp
Lemon Half

Oil & Gas & Energy (Sector & Companies) - general board use

Postby dspp » February 19th, 2021, 3:01 pm

USING THIS BOARD
Prompted by a request, here is a general post about using this board

Toto wrote:dspp I really would appreciate your insight. I’m new here. Just joined. Still not quite sure how the board works. :?

Thank you for asking. The answer is, easy, it has just evolved. This board is deliberately intended to cover all of the energy space, not just oil & gas. Anyone is welcome, from day trader to billionare, from roustie or puddle pusher to C-suite, from newbie to long-retired, learner to expert. It is preferable if you post in a fact-based way, please don't just repeat the latest "I hate wind turbines" or "I hate gas-guzzling cars" or "fraccing is evil" rant from your newspaper of choice, or whatever.

What we have found that is sort of working is:

GENERIC/MACRO TOPICS
If you have a piece of info/insight/request regarding a generic/macro energy area then you will likely find an appropriate generic/macro thread, so best to add to that existing thread. These are generally re the whole world, not just the UK. Here are some of those:
- Grid matters : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20010
- Oil Price (which tends to include all 'macro' oil) : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=443
- Gas matters : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24341
- Renewable & conventional trends : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11176
- Shale matters : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3646
- Wind matters : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8185
- Storage stuff : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14745
- Hydrogen matters : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24190
- Coal matters : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8934
- Nuclear matters : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8923
We can start new generic/macro threads if we think there is a need.

COMPANY SPECIFIC
You can have company-specific threads here, but also they can be over on the main news board (see viewforum.php?f=94, which is quite 'tight' in how it is used). Both are equally permissible, but we do ask that you try to keep within one thread per company if at all possible, i.e. don't be lazy - have a look for an existing thread before starting a new thread. Oh, and ideally include the company ticker (e.g. HUR or JOG) if you can. I'm afraid not everyone does either of these .....

ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT ANY OTHER ENERGY ITEM
If you have something that looks as if it could helpfully continue another existing conversation then go ahead and tag along with something already there. Or, if all else fails, don't be shy please go ahead and start a new thread.

MODDING
If you post on the wrong thread or whatever the worst that happens is that a Mod may tidy it up to somewhere else in which case you may (or may not) get a message or reply or etc to tell you where to look (keep an eye on your Notifications and Private Messages icon in the top right of the viewing pane). I'm not the only Mod that looks after this board though I am the 'normal' one since I have been in the energy industry for a few decades, so from time to time you may see other Mods doing things. We tend to leave a Mod-box and our signature if we have been active, so that way you know who to PM (Private Message) if you want further guidance/etc, but not always. If you see something untoward on a post (anywhere on the The Lemon Fool (TLF) then please hit the Alert button, which is the ! button on the top right of each individual post and write down what you think needs attention, and in due course a Mod will take a look. Do not "answer-back", as that just creates more Modding work - just hit the Alert button, write a brief explanation, move on.

Your question was initially asked on the Storage Stuff thread. I will probably take a copy of this post and put it at the top of this board as a 'Sticky'.

NON-EXCLUSIVE
You will find other energy-related stuff scattered all over TLF, for example down in the DIY section folk talk about insulation or whatever. It doesn't have to be here, though this board is pretty much where the financial investment conversations to do with energy take place. There are some Investment Trust threads (viewforum.php?f=54) that are relevant if those are your thing. [edit: How could I forget - there is a Tesla (TSLA) thread on this board, but there is a much larger one over on the Macro & Global Topics board at viewtopic.php?f=76&p=387977#p387977 - it is entirely up to you which/both threads you use].

GLOBAL WARMING / CLIMATE CHANGE
Clearly a lot of what is going on in the Energy/Oil/Gas sector is affected in one way or another by climate change. We are not ordinarily interested in the scientific, or non-scientific, views on climate change on this board. Instead please go to The Natural World (viewforum.php?f=59) or Science (viewforum.php?f=83) if you want to discuss the topic from that point of view. However it is quite reasonable to discuss the topic on this board insofar as it pertains to investment matters. This is a delicate balance, but people seem to be able to follow that so far.

GETTING ATTENTION
You can PM someone after a certain number of posts, I think it is five. You will likely get there soon ......

You can also quote someone, ordinarily using the " button on a post and that notifies someone that they have been quoted (look at your Notifications area, top right). In fact I have just done this for you. But you can use the text editor to call anyone's attention in the same way, so here is me nudging a chap called Toto.

Toto wrote:Question for Toto, if you’re reading please I’d appreciate your insight on ....... (whatever).
Would have liked to PM you, but the system would not allow me.

By the way the best way to get good understanding of something is to encourage good quality users to congregate on the same forum. There are many good people out there but at the moment they are all splintered amongst ADVFN, LSE, and several other venues. But it is entirely up to people where they go, and TLF is in many ways an unfunded volunteer-managed venue that does not market itself. It is up to peoples ....

By the way I may break this post out as a general board 'sticky'.

regards, dspp

Return to “Oil & Gas & Energy (Sector & Companies)”