Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Hurricane Energy (HUR)

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Hurricane Energy (HUR)

Postby dspp » January 30th, 2020, 4:23 pm

tournesol wrote:DSPP

"Something that occurred to me last night, but I did not have a chance to check until just now, is that RNS did not include:
- a repeated 'confidence' that the source of the water is perched vs aquifer;
- a repeated statement that it is not rate dependent;
- a repeated statement that the evidence signature (temperature, pressure response, etc) supports perched vs aquifer;

Maybe I'm being too much of a kremlinologist, but it does seem odd to me that they wouldn't have taken the opportunity to restate those points, if the evidence continues to support them. Maybe the evidence no longer tends to support those points."

But they have already said all the stuff you mention and said it quite recently. And they have also said that if anything happens which falls outside the guidance they have previously given, they will report it without delay. If they said it all again people would be saying "the lady doth protest too much".

I think you are being much far too much of a kremlinologist. Trice et al are not hiding in a secret bunker, conspiring and plotting to undo their enemies. They are exceptionally open and forthright. Compare/contrast the material they have published in scientific and technical journals, in presentations and on their website with the equivalent material put out by any of their peer group. There is no comparison. Other companies are Trappist by comparison.

If there was an identified problem with acquifer water being co-mingled with production, management would have said so. That would fall far outside prior guidance and be price sensitive and they would have a legal obligation to update the market.

Hur is my largest position by a significant margin. At 50% down I'm bleeding but I'm holding.

tournesol,

I hold your views in great regard and have done so for many years. I fully agree with everything you say above, and I thought the same things myself. But then I thought, given everything else they said in the way of warm words, why didn't they really hammer those points home - if they still hold true.

Similarly I have asked them to show me where public domain data is regarding placement of these well bores. They haven't been able to locate it in any of their published stuff (and I couldn't either in digging through stuff, and nor has anybody else popped up with an answer). So maybe there is no previous published info except for slide 15 of the 2019 Capital Markets Day presentation available on the website: https://www.hurricaneenergy.com/investors/presentations which shows a pair of trajectory sketches against a depth scale bar. So these are two very important wells, on the performance of which a great deal is at stake, and one of them is not performing as it was originally predicted. And everyone in the industry (technical, commercial, investor) alike is on the edge of their seat because the value at risk is huge. And what did they do - I'll tell you, they missed a good opportunity to state publicly in the RNS exactly what are the setting depths and trajectories of those two wells so that we can all have a good think about the implications in a common state of knowledge.

There is definitely information getting out regarding well etc performance, that much is clear if one keeps an ear to the ground. There are also all sorts of black arts being performed on the share price. And a lot of people are realising what high risk really means, and discovering they don't like being on the receiving end of it, and are bailing out.

I hold.

regards, dspp

pijoe1212

Postby pijoe1212 » January 30th, 2020, 11:35 pm

look i see it as very simple.

this weeks update confirmed what we all expected from an honest company- it was nothing more or less than that.

the co has not flowed the "wet" well since dec, only the dry one. so the water issue in the "wet one" remains. there is nothing further the company can tell us, as there is no new info. the well of real interest has nor been flowed.

they have pressure communication between the wells. great and super but so do 4 twin choke webers with balance pipes on a V8 engine. (dynamic and static pressure..) but that does dictate fuel flow and hence and power and fuel from each cylinder. may be not the best example - but i hope readers get the idea (for younger readers - its all about pressure differentials and restricted flow rates!). simple physics not computer injection control of fuel input.

I maintain my view that the watery well MAY (or not) has hit a fracture that has seen vertical low resistance to underlying aquifer (where ever that may be) and hence preferential flow.

the update told us all we needed to know on the "dry" well and off loads and cash etc. fine and dandy ...but what about the 2C value - predicated on a "buy in and pump the value later" basis ? risk balance has changed until confirmation imv of water source. why would anyone develop (or buy to develop) the 2C if the watering inflow risk was not fully understood and removed as a risk?

i would suggest the market is waking up to the reality. the 2C may not be risk free development resource - or indeed there at all in part.

i would suggest the evidence is neutral - but the investment case is weighted, as the NPV exceeds the company EV - on an absolute and weight risk basis.

ammonite

Postby ammonite » January 31st, 2020, 4:56 pm

"Maybe I'm being too much of a kremlinologist," It seems so to me.

"There is definitely information getting out regarding well etc performance, that much is clear if one keeps an ear to the ground"

Please justify. My ears report no such thing.

"There are also all sorts of black arts being performed on the share price" There we can agree.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 1st, 2020, 8:36 pm

An interesting (as in the Chinese curse,"May you live in interesting times!") article on HUR from Proactive Investor - https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/co ... 11851.html

Having had my fingers burned on Sirius I couldn't help but be concerned about the parallels drawn in the article.

I must admit that in all the concentration on perched water etc I'd pretty much forgotten the bigger picture regarding such basic matters as finance. I'd be interested to hear any comments on the points made in the article.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 1st, 2020, 11:14 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:An interesting (as in the Chinese curse,"May you live in interesting times!") article on HUR from Proactive Investor - https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/co ... 11851.html

Having had my fingers burned on Sirius I couldn't help but be concerned about the parallels drawn in the article.

I must admit that in all the concentration on perched water etc I'd pretty much forgotten the bigger picture regarding such basic matters as finance. I'd be interested to hear any comments on the points made in the article.

Jam. Tomorrow

AiYn'U

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 2nd, 2020, 10:29 am

Clitheroekid wrote:An interesting (as in the Chinese curse,"May you live in interesting times!") article on HUR from Proactive Investor - https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/co ... 11851.html

CK,

In my opinion the reservoir is the bigger picture. Finance (or M&A and/or farmin) will either follow or not, entirely dependent on the reservoir's behavior. So that article may be putting the horse behind the cart.

Whilst the long term need for several billions (£bn) of capex is correct, it will only be required if there is a reservoir there that warrants it, and if so it will attract it. In the meantime HUR is in a reasonable position of relatively little debt (convertible bonds), and with sufficient cash flow to cover operational needs over the next few years (reasonably debottlenecking to 40kbopd subject to regulatory consent on the gas tie-in and the various wells), and with a fair-sized cash in bank. I do not see a short term risk of HUR being starved into submission by a buyers strike.

In the worst case situation that water breaks through to the higher producer then the reservoir implications are so significant that indeed you could divide the current share price by 10, just as with Sirius. However, whilst the information disclosed so far tends to wipe out the high case (unless there is radical new news), it still leaves a fairly attractive medium case. One which, with care, could be progressively exploited by HUR in a go-alone fashion using a staged FFD and a bootstrapping financial strategy. This to my mind has to be their central pathway at present. That is in fact why I hold. It is entirely dependent on subsurface behavior, and that is of course precisely what the EPS is there to answer.

regards, dspp

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » February 2nd, 2020, 12:08 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:I'm thining not many folks here need reminding of what "could" happen. If you do need reminding, take a look at the dross that litters the O&G industry on the AIM market. If you care to look at some of those sub <1p per share stocks, you'll run a mile.

True, but it comes down to judgement of risk. Of course the worst case is total loss, or close to it. But at current prices even limited success is likely to justify a value significantly greater than the current mcap. Someway to go yet before a definitive answer is possible, but unless you believe that the major early aquifer breakthrough scenario is the likely outcome then there's probably value in the shares, on a risk adusted basis.

drillordrop

Postby drillordrop » February 2nd, 2020, 2:01 pm

Regarding the depth of the wells there is trajectory information for Well-6 on the horizontal section.

It is on Fig. 8 of the paper written by Bonter & Trice (July 2019) titled "An integrated approach for fractured basement characterization:
the Lancaster Field, a case study in the UK"

The trajectory is as follows:

MD (m) TVDSS (m)
1850 1243
1900 1246
1950 1248
2000 1248
2050 1248
2100 1248
2150 1247
2200 1245
2250 1243
2300 1241
2350 1238
2400 1236
2450 1234
2500 1232
2550 1230
2600 1227

There is no trajectory data for Well-7z, however in one of the presentations there is a quote that the heels are 350m apart and the toes 1,350m apart. 7z drops down deeper at the toe than 6 but how much is not mentioned.

Proselenes
Lemon Quarter

Postby Proselenes » February 2nd, 2020, 3:41 pm

Comparison chart below for GKP, Genel, RDS, BP and Cairn with HUR

That suggests its not oil price or sector related. This suggests there is some back room rumours that someone has, that kind of fall against others in the sector generally points to something happening, be it planning for fund raising, planning to restructure debt, issues with asset performance.

Argue what you want about water, Dr T etc.... the share price movement is speaking louder and above everyone. The share price movement suggests someone knows something.

Hope for the best, but dont be surprised if something not so good pops out in the coming months. Thats based on the reality of the share price performance recently.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 2nd, 2020, 6:15 pm

Proselenes - The share price heading down in advance of the bond placement was, in retrospect, a sign that information was leaking (or being leaked) from somewhere.

Drillordrop - Thank you.

Anyway here is my production & lift data updated with the latest OGA. I haven't had the time to sift that last RNS for any other clues, so please say if you spot anything I've missed that gives greater insight. Again, as with the pre-Xmas RNS I think they knew they had to give that comfort blanket RNS last week, because they knew the OGA data was about to come out.

regards, dspp

drillordrop

Postby drillordrop » February 2nd, 2020, 7:21 pm

If one takes the October and November OGA production data and you then combine it with the whole Q4 numbers HUR discuss in their RNS on 29 Jan (i.e. the difference is just December) then there is water production of 485bwpd in December. I have taken the OGA Oct-Nov actuals and backed Dec out from their Q4 performance RNS. If I'm reading the RNS on 29 Jan correctly, only 6 flowed in December. If that was the case, Well 6 is producing at an *average* watercut in December of 3.56%, but if 7z was on at any time this is not correct. These numbers are based on very patchy data, but HUR have made it hard to understand what is going on, and that said they have made it more confusing by saying well 6 has now 'negligible' watercut. Any watercut development in well 6 is extremely relevant but it's difficult to understand what is happening from what we are told.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 2nd, 2020, 7:40 pm

drillordrop wrote:If one takes the October and November OGA production data and you then combine it with the whole Q4 numbers HUR discuss in their RNS on 29 Jan (i.e. the difference is just December) then there is water production of 485bwpd in December. I have taken the OGA Oct-Nov actuals and backed Dec out from their Q4 performance RNS. If I'm reading the RNS on 29 Jan correctly, only 6 flowed in December. If that was the case, Well 6 is producing at an *average* watercut in December of 3.56%, but if 7z was on at any time this is not correct. These numbers are based on very patchy data, but HUR have made it hard to understand what is going on, and that said they have made it more confusing by saying well 6 has now 'negligible' watercut. Any watercut development in well 6 is extremely relevant but it's difficult to understand what is happening from what we are told.

Yes. they are doing their best to keep their trainset private.

A further issue is whether the OGA data is for full calendar month, or mid-month to mid-month. I am assuming it is full month, simply plotted for the mid-month point. In calculating cumulatives I am also assuming that OGA do not use standardised months (30.5), but instead use actual days in each month.

I suspect that the slide 15 trajectories representation is actually a fair representation. The tvdss data you posted up shows how horizontal the 6 (dry) well horizontal section is. In contrast the 7z (wet) well would appear to be somewhat inclined if the slide 15 is a good portrayal.

Looking back at the initial data they had a period of one-well operation during a ?? flowline problem. They also had periods of two-well operation. And then at a particular moment the overall water cut started going up. And then they beaned in. It is not at all obvious how often they were flowing one, the other, or both wells, and at what choke. This naturally means that external observors have little choice but to be concerned about the worst possible interpretation in the circumstances. And then you look at how high in the structure the 7z well is, if that OWC down at 1600m is to be believed, and one wonders greatly.

Nimrod is essentially suggesting the OWC is more like 1300 - 1350 tvdsss, (maybe with jellyfish tentacles/stranded zones running deeper that have confused past interpretations). Looking at slide 15 one can see that anybody thinking like that would be marking down HUR significantly. Yet HUR continue to suggest that it is perched, so one has to take them on their word.

regards, dspp

drillordrop

Postby drillordrop » February 2nd, 2020, 8:13 pm

OGA is full-month, but they quote mid-month so bopd data etc. is correct....

tournesol
Lemon Pip

Postby tournesol » February 3rd, 2020, 12:21 pm

DSPP

tournesol,

I hold your views in great regard and have done so for many years. I fully agree with everything you say above, and I thought the same things myself. But then I thought, given everything else they said in the way of warm words, why didn't they really hammer those points home - if they still hold true.

Similarly I have asked them to show me where public domain data is regarding placement of these well bores. They haven't been able to locate it in any of their published stuff (and I couldn't either in digging through stuff, and nor has anybody else popped up with an answer). So maybe there is no previous published info except for slide 15 of the 2019 Capital Markets Day presentation available on the website: https://www.hurricaneenergy.com/investors/presentations which shows a pair of trajectory sketches against a depth scale bar. So these are two very important wells, on the performance of which a great deal is at stake, and one of them is not performing as it was originally predicted. And everyone in the industry (technical, commercial, investor) alike is on the edge of their seat because the value at risk is huge. And what did they do - I'll tell you, they missed a good opportunity to state publicly in the RNS exactly what are the setting depths and trajectories of those two wells so that we can all have a good think about the implications in a common state of knowledge.

There is definitely information getting out regarding well etc performance, that much is clear if one keeps an ear to the ground. There are also all sorts of black arts being performed on the share price. And a lot of people are realising what high risk really means, and discovering they don't like being on the receiving end of it, and are bailing out.

I hold.

DSPP - Thanks for those kind words. The regard is mutual. I think we are all scratching our heads here in shared frustration.

T

tournesol
Lemon Pip

Postby tournesol » February 3rd, 2020, 12:32 pm

I'd like to make one point I've not seen made in the recent discussion of the location/depth/trajectory of the 2 producing wells.

AIUI each of the wells is producing from a very short section of the well bore - each well bores is about 1000 metres long. But in each case current production is coming from a 50-60 metre section.

I don't think that Hur has told us anything how close the producing sections are to each other.

Are the producing sections close so they they intersect the same fractures? Hence the pressure communication?

Are they widely separated, so that one is at the heel and the other at the toe - almost 1000 metres apart?

Does the different experience of water production result from a wide separation? Or is it despite a narrow separation?

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 3rd, 2020, 1:45 pm

I think we can start to make some very crude but illustrative calculations with the public domain data.

This involves putting forwards a hypothesis of my own, which I have so far resisted doing. HUR are of course sitting there holding the data, so ‘guessing’ with only a small set of cards, what is in the hand of the other players with far more cards is a fraught exercise that can result in considerable embarrassment. Nevertheless it is also fun. And of course as always in the oilpatch we have to work with less data than we would like, and the only player with all the cards is mother nature.

But first let us recap.

The general Rona is a piece of uplifted basement (approx 2.5 bln years old) that has been well fractured and is oriented SW-NE. The fractures have been energised and reenergised multiple times, and there are multiple orientation groups. The storage is entirely in the fractures, inconsequentially so in the parent rock. The upper Rona has for a period in its history, in Lancaster at least, thrust up above the surrounding terrain. It has then been buried to approximately 1000m and draped in sealing overburden.

The charge is from the Kimmeridge, approx 155 mln years old. It is generally thought that the kitchen area is 10-20km to the south & west, at a depth of several kilometres, and expelled oil has migrated upwards and north/eastwards to surface or capture in variously Clair, Rona, or elsewhere. There may have been oil expelled from the kitchen even back when Rona was last uplifted, and if so that oil came to surface as seeps and was lost. There may be some evidence of that period in bitumen/asphaltene shows at top structure. Depending on where the main sealing east-west fault zones cut the structure, charge had the opportunity to fill variously Lincoln/Warwick, or Lancaster/Halifax.

When the Rona was initially buried it was water-full (if nothing else, rain water went in the top, maybe sea water as well, and the historic aquifer went in the bottom). Subsequently the charge entered, migrating upwards and north/east along fractures etc underneath the newly placed seal. Thus the reservoir filled with oil from the top down, or more precisely the fractures that are connected to the migratory pathway fill with oil from their closed top end downwards. The reservoir is sufficiently deep that biodegradation has not taken place and it is a relatively light mobile good quality 38 API oil with a lowish GOR of about 360 scf/bbl.

To give an indication of the fill rate if one takes the Hurricane oil in place (STOIIP) for the Lancaster 2C case of 2.3bn barrels, and assumes a 50-million year charging period, that would be a charging rate of 46 bbls per year of retained oil, migrating across and up drop by drop into Lancaster. It is a charging rate that is likely still going on, but it is a rate that is inconsequential in human development timeframes.

The initial Hurricane reservoir model assumed that at a macro level all the reservoir was well connected, and all formed from approximately two types of either better-property well-fractured material, or worse-property less-fractured material, and that top-surface seismic could assign the relative proportions of each in a depth-independent manner. Thus at a macro level the reservoir bulk rock volume (BRV) was thought to be relatively homogenous with the same rock properties from top to bottom. This was combined with oil-water contacts derived from pressure data and sample recovery, and with fracture/fault picks and seismic structure maps to yield a 2C STOIIP of 2.3bn barrels at an OWC of 1653m, i.e. a 600-metre oil column.

To appraise the Lancaster field and resolve key uncertainties an early production system (EPS) has been installed with two wells. Each well has an approximate 1-km horizontal section that was drilled barefoot, given a short drill stem test (DST) for clean up and initial testing purposes, and then left suspended whilst the remainder of the EPS was installed. I am unsure (because I have not waded through old reports) if a PLT was conducted in either of these wells during the DST – does anyone know ? The wells feed via subsea wellheads to a production vessel (an FPSO, the Aoku Mizu, AM) and independent simultaneous flow and measurement is possible when all the flowlines etc are operational. Each well has a pair of electrical submersible pumps (ESPs) installed, but they are not yet powered up.

Given the intention of the EPS to gather data it is highly likely that each pump inlet has downhole gauges installed measuring temperature & pressure and with near real time surface readout (SRO) back to the production floater. Based on my experience I would expect the ESP setting depth to be of the order of 500-800m or so, i.e. well below the bubble point pressure in the well bore, and with minimal well bore storage between gauge and reservoir. I hazard a guess that in this instance there are unlikely to be any gauges below the ESPs, either at the production packer, or in the tailpipe. Given that the wells are barefoot (openhole) it is highly unlikely that there are memory gauges in the openhole, or suspended in the tailpipe and there have been no well intervention vessels observed so far to conduct a PLT down the ESP bypass, or a gauge retrieval. This then gives us insight into the data available to the company analysts, i.e. ESP-depth gauge data, choke & wellhead data, and production data. Crucially they have this data available in high resolution, and knowing the test programme being executed, and on a per well basis. As onlookers we have very little of this information, being reliant on aggregate monthly OGA data and whatever snippets the company deigns to let slip !

The key uncertainties were thought to be:
- Fracture connectivity and size
- OWC depth
- Aquifer support
The first two of these directly affect STOIIP, and therefore reserves. The last affects reserves only, not STOIIP.

So far the Lancaster EPS has seen good fracture connectivity in the two producing wells, according to the HUR 11-July-2019 CMD. However during 2019 three exploration/appraisal wells were drilled on the adjacent Lincoln-Warwick structures in Rona Ridge and these observed considerable variation of fracture connectivity and size, such that by now considerable heterogeneity has to be suspected, which might be analogous to the zonal heterogeneity seen in the Bach Ho field. My personal opinion, and this is not my area of expertise, is that depth, stress, and history are the likely key determinants in reservoir quality. Broadly speaking I suspect that reservoir rock that it is higher up – especially crest or on the flanks, in tension and/or in shear, and especially rock that has been elevated above the surrounding landscape and water table for a period, will form the better quality reservoir rock. In contrast rocks that are deeper or more central, and that have been subject to more mineralisation will be worse. It is also possible that the very top structure rocks will have received some plugging from above. These concerns have been discussed for years as data has accumulated, but the three Lincoln/Warwick wells of 2019 have brought them, very relevantly, to the forefront.

(Note: these three 2019 wells were originally conceived as being X/A horizontal wells with an intent to suspend as 3 producers for a crash development of Lin/War, with another 3 to follow in 2020, so as to allow for 6 proven producers as well stock to enable a fast Lin/War FFD by the Spirit/Hur JV. Instead two of the three are being plugged and abandoned: Warwick Deep and Lincoln Flank, with only Lincoln Crest retained as a producer candidate but now for only EPS tie-back. And the three 2020 Lin/War horizontal wells are seemingly being postponed in favour of one (or two?) inclined appraisal wells at some point. That gives a very telling insight into the maturity of the subsurface model at the late 2018 time when these three wells were conceived, and the extent to which aspiration can run ahead of data, and need subsequent revision.)

The main reservoir drive candidate has been thought to be a good aquifer. The GOR is insufficient for any (solution) gas drive to be sufficient, and so demonstrating the existence of a good aquifer has been an important point. So far there does appear to be a good aquifer according to HUR, on the basis of good pressure maintenance & rapid pressure recovery during EPS testing (which would also tend to indicate a large connected volume). This also fits the proposed tilted OWC that Hurricane hypothesise to support the proposed deep Halifax OWC, and for which they propose a strongly flowing aquifer from the south towards the north.

When originally conceived the EPS was expected by HUR to produce dry oil for several years as they thought that any perched water should be modelled as a N:G issue, and would be immobile (see p33 of Bonter, 21 May 2015), and that irreducible water saturation should approach zero. The Competent Persons Report (CPR) more prudently assumed a few % of water cut would be present, corresponding to some residual water saturation being produced out. However very early on after start up of EPS production the deeper of the two wells (the #7z well) started to cut water, initially little or none, then 8%, rising to 25-30% so far. Not unsurprisingly Hurricane chose to stop testing it for a month or so, instead focussing on flowing the #6 dry well solo, and – if rumours are correct – accelerating readiness of produced water handling and ESP systems. The shallower well (the #6 well) apparently has apparently stayed dry or with negligible water cut.

These two wells are quite close, 350m apart at basement entry, 850m apart at the toe. They both seem to enter top reservoir at approx 1250, doing the kick off and build outside the reservoir. We know the #6 well is very horizontal and with a depth of 1248-1227m tvdss (from Bonter & Trice, July 2019), and so we can assume that the slide 9 and slide 15 trajectories in the 11-Jul-2019 CMD presentation are fair approximations (see also slide 13 in the April 2017 CMD), and they show that the #7z well is somewhat inclined below horizontal, as well as being slightly deeper, perhaps terminating at approx 1300m tvdss. As will be seen below that is some 50m of depth difference, a material number in this context. The map extract in slide 34 shows them with their correct orientations, entering top reservoir to the NW and running towards toes to the SE in a splayed Y configuration. In contrast the more cartoonish slide 9 and slide 15 cross-sections which is from approx SW to NE and with distorted scales shows them as running from SW to NE, presumably because otherwise they would be coming out of the plane of the paper *. In both cases HUR state that the bulk of the flow is coming from the fracture sets that are close to the heel of the well, presumably based on pressure response data. This means that we can think of the primary inflow point for each well as being approximately the intersection of a barefoot well about 6” in diameter, and a fracture set of about 6” equivalent diameter, at these two separated points, one per well. (I am comfortable with that, it is not unusual in such circumstances).

The hypothesis put forwards by Hurricane to explain this is that the #7z well has encountered a zone of perched water, and they are keen to stress that they have no concern that this is aquifer water. By emphasising that this is perched water they continue to justify – so far – their proposed OWC of approx 1600m depth. They state this perched view on the basis of temperature data, pressure response data, and lack of rate-dependency. They have not disclosed the actual data, merely noted which data sets they are relying on. Re temperature data perched water ought to be cooler being shallower in origin. Re pressure response data, one would expect a stiffer response from water vs oil, and so one might be able to differentiate between a small & isolated water pocket close by versus a large and distant water body further away, maybe. Re lack of rate dependency this relies on the fact that ‘coned’ water being drawn up from depth (as opposed to horizontal inflow, though in this case ‘coning’ is misleading due to the impermeable matrix nature) has a critical rate below which no water breaks through. The lack of rate-dependency can in fact be quibbled over as water cut was not significant in the DST clean up period, nor in the first month or so of production, and there is then a very significant difference between 8% and 25-30%.

(As a by-the-way, once water has broken through, especially the smaller the fracture network the easier subsequent breakthroughs become due to the rock walls becoming water wet as opposed to oil wet, i.e. breakthrough is not an entirely reversible process. But I don’t think it much matters in this instance, though it may be marginally relevant.)

An alternative hypothesis that has been posed (by Nimrod et al) is that the original Hurricane proposal of a 1600m OWC is very significantly wrong, and that this is not perched water but is aquifer water being drawn in from a much higher contact, perhaps near structural close at approx 1380m. In fact this was an original concern when initially exploring this reservoir, and HUR have done a lot of work to determine/propose a deeper 1600m OWC.

In principle residual water saturation and perched water are quite different things. The former depends on the viscous effects at the micro-level in fractures and pore spaces. The latter is a macro effect that depends on wide expanses of sealing troughs that trap water and prevent it being expelled downwards. However this is a somewhat academic definitional debate that does not interest me - in practice there is a continuum between the two and this is especially so in a fractured reservoir with negligible porosity.

The question then becomes, again, so what ?

The problem for Hurricane is that a perched water pocket, of sufficient areal extent and volume to cause the 25-30% watercut in the #7z well is almost as bad as the presence of a high OWC. In both cases one would expect significantly reduced volumetrics, though worse in the high OWC case. In both cases one would expect decreased recovery factor (RF%) due to increased bypassing, developmental errors, and cost of access, ultimately meaning reduced reserves. In both cases one would expect higher developmental costs (drillex, fac-ex, opex), reduced margins, and delays in proceeding to full development, plus rapid off-plateau decline (and a savagely short plateau period, with very little opportunity to effectively manage water downhole). In both cases risk increases. In both cases valuation suffers greatly. So this is a big deal, and it is only if Hurricane can show that the water is perched, is only of limited extent, and that they can confidently predict where it will be encountered and how they will deal with it, cheaply, that Rona Ridge can continue to support the very large reserves estimates and hence valuations previously in mind.

==

So let’s do some numbers, using very rough & ready approximations.

Per OGA data by end November 2.6mln bbls oil and 2.8 million bbls gross liquids had been produced at a cumulative watercut of 8%.

If we assume that approximately half this gross liquids came from each well, then approximately 1.4 million bbls has been withdrawn from the #7z well. In metric terms the #7z well has withdrawn 228,000 m3 of liquid.

The PI of the wells per June-2019 CMD were 205 b/d/psi for the #6 well, and 190 b/d/psi for the #7z well. We would expect the PI to have initially increased slightly as the wells cleaned up, then reduced slowly as they cut water and a heavier column is being lifted (and with less gas, although I don’t think these wells get below bubblepoint).

They appear to have been flowing the wells at between 6-18k bpd combined, and I noted a figure of 14k bpd as being the greatest flow from the #6 dry well, i.e. 68psi drawdown (4.7 bar). This suggests that the greatest flow from the #7z wet well is slightly less, or they would not have mentioned the #6 well in this way. So let’s assume they have so far applied a common maximum drawdown during testing under natural flow, say the same 4.7 bar, that would be 13k bpd. That sounds about right.

For water with a SG of 1 a drawdown of 4.7 bar is 47 metres of head. For oil with an SG of 0.8 that corresponds to 59 metres of head.

So the point somewhere near the barefoot heel of each of these wells where the first flowing fracture set is intersected is drawing in an approximate disc of liquids somewhere between 45-60 metres tall, with the top of the layer set at the inflow point into the wellbore. Or at least it would if this were a homogenous sandstone reservoir with radial inflow to a point. Anyway let’s use 50m to keep the maths simple.

Remember the #7z well has withdrawn some 228,000 m3 of liquid. So if that was a block of liquid it would be an expanse that is 4,560m2 in extent, and 50m tall.

But the reservoir is not an oil tank, the oil is stored in fractures that are in the base case assumed to be 4.4% of the rock volume. So that liquid corresponds to an area of rock 103,636 m2 in extent and 50m tall, if all the liquid were to be produced to completely dry out the fractures.

But even when fully produced only a 25% recovery factor is assumed, and that would be after a decade or more of flowing each well, and we have only seen half a year so far. So let us take a guesstimate and multiply by a factor of 10 to account for that (more complex approaches are possible !) and so what has been done so far is for each well to mobilise the ‘easy’ element of the gross liquids from within the fractures in an area of rock that is about 1,000,000 m2 in extent and 50m deep. If it were square that would be conveniently 1-km x 1-km x 50m. Or a circle of diameter 1,128m / radius 564m. This gives a feel for from how far away the most distant drop of liquid has flowed from in order to deliver the amount of liquids that have been withdrawn by end-Nov-2019. Clearly the pressure wave has gone much further and much faster into the reservoir, and clearly other liquids have all jogged along and re-accommodated themselves, but this gives a physical insight into what has been going on in the reservoir.

As a sense check on that, let us return to the mental vision of a tank of liquid that is 228,000m3 large. If that were a single fracture that was 50m tall, and 15cm (6”) wide, and fully open (which corresponds with a 12”+ fracture swarm that is 50% open) then the fracture length in the horizontal direction would be approximately 30km. Now in the 1-km long horizontal section of these wells they are describing encountering several large fractures, indeed they designed the well trajectories to do just that, which suggests a spacing of the order of 100-150m apart. That corresponds with what we see on top-surface seismic and borehole logs. A 1-km grid with fractures at 100m intervals would contain 20-km of fractures. So in general terms, yes, these two ways of thinking about how far away the liquids are being produced from gives comparable numbers.

Again, so what ?

In order for HUR’s concept of isolated perched water to exist, but not be a problem for volumetrics & reserves, there needs to be a minimum 1-km square impermeable seal somewhere below the #7z producing fault, in such a way that it holds a very substantial amount of water, and to not have any penetrations in it through which that water would have drained away when the reservoir became oil-full. That horizontal seal of a wide areal extent could be set anywhere from 50-metres below the producing fault, right down to (or even below) the OWC, provide that the ‘sides’ of the ‘tub’ are also impermeable. And so as not to affect the volumetrics, everywhere else needs to be hunky dory. Oh, and this has to happen in a reservoir that has about 20-30km of large aperture fracture swarms per 1-km2 of area. This sounds somewhat improbable to me, simply on the basis of statistics.

So what do I think is going on ?

I think that the evidence is accumulating that the inner/deeper part of the Rona is essentially impermeable for one reason or another. Either the fractures have always been in compression, or have become mineral-filled, or both, or something else to the same outcome.

This means that there may well be a jelly fish model, but it is taking place at a much higher level in the structure and oil charge is largely confined to the top and flanks.

There is perched water, but it is not sitting above good quality reservoir. Instead it is sitting on non-reservoir material. Within this are trace accumulations of hydrocarbons, and water, both of which have either migrated sideways/upwards, or filled downwards, in sufficient quantities to really foul up the log & well sample / cuttings sample interpretation processes, but not enough to constitute reservoir.

At this point I really have gotten the crayons out in frustration. If you look at the slides below I have pulled together the more significant images that are around, and put a sequence of which the last is my overall view.

So ?

My view is not as bleakly pessimistic as the Nimrod et al case (no oil below structural close), but is much worse than the Hur/CPR case of 2.3 bn bbls STOIIP. It gives scope for oil to be present in more open fractures draped down the sides of the structure, but not within the centre. The relatively broad top of Lancaster may well have sufficient topographical relief in it to have some perched water. This is summarised in my overall view as set out in the last slide, which I think satisfies all the known constraints that we have observed in the public domain data, and can be extended to all of the structures. This suggest that the Halifax structure may indeed be the most promising – if I am correct, and the Lin/War deep structures the least promising, with Lancaster being a mid-case.

As to exactly how much STOIIP is there, I am not exactly sure because we do not have the BRV x depth curves for these structures (do we ?). So far I have reduced Lancaster reserves by about 1/3. Looking at this it seems that a reduction by ½ might be more appropriate, but that seems somewhat irrelevant as the market seems to have reached the same conclusion, if only from PI’s selling out of fright & panic. As to reserves, the good news is that placing wells at the top would still seem to be an entirely appropriate way to do it, and the aquifer drive from the edge/flanks will be good. The bad news is that reserves seem to be down.

BUT. In the downside case Nimrod is absolutely right, and the OWC extends right across at about 1300m, but also with non-reservoir material in the centre. That would be a real downer.

Am I missing anything ? Have I made an error ?

regards, dspp

( I hold. Intellectual curiousity is always a dangerous thing. 90% of the time it leads to bad outcomes :) )

(* by the way, my arrow for charge migrating from the south in the last diagram is also out of the plane from the west)

AndersonSW

Postby AndersonSW » February 3rd, 2020, 2:23 pm

Oh my Goodness. How can you be bothered? If I had any share upon which I found myself giving up enough of my free time to write at such length about I’d realise I’d become way too attached to it to sensibly own shares in it.

And if I saw less than half the risks in the company and/or its assets that you do there is no chance whatsoever I would continue to hold shares in it.

It’s very odd that the owner of any asset would publicly put forth in enormous detail highly speculative theories as to why that asset may be one day be worthless.

mearnsfool
2 Lemon pips

Postby mearnsfool » February 3rd, 2020, 3:01 pm

AndersenSW.

Having worked in the oil Industry for too many years, I have found the Geoscientists to be very nice people that spend their time trying double guess without sufficent information what results they will get out of an oilfield.

The less information they have, the harder they work to to come up with a theory.

They are not like normal humans but I consider a good few of them friends.

You cannot stop them building models based on little facts.

Just leave them to come up with their models.

They are not bad people.

pijoe1212

Postby pijoe1212 » February 3rd, 2020, 8:46 pm

try again! (after a day job interruption!)
dspp

i am sure you have gathered, my focus on the technical position is secondary to my focus on the what is broadly happening from a tech perspective and hence more importantly what it could / does mean to the investment perspective. i am not a geo or claim to be!

could i check a few things with you on my broad understanding.
- each well has targeted mapped "major fractures", and that each well has targeted (largely) different fracture networks.
- pressure connectivity can be effected by "small" linking fractures.
- in a steady case (static) flow case, this would see connected flow if the connection static resistance was of comparable to the static resistance of the rest of the system - in that case the flow would be the same in each well regardless of which had an open choke. if the "connection" was "small" - i.e. high static flow resistance then there would be static pressure connection but limited flow between well bore connected fractures. if it was very small then there would be the same static pressure connection, but very low flow. hence each well flows "separately" - i.e. any water in the 7z well is not seen in the 6 well as the flow is almost entirely from each well bore separately. but even with the "small" connection the wells maintain dynamic pressure connection. the pressure response in the non-flowing well is of course modified by the dynamic transfer function ( attenuation / damping - most likely a multi-degree of freedom non-linear relationship).
- the pressure draw down is sufficient to effect a c. 50 - 60 m lift from underlying water.

assuming the above is correct (and its based upon designing / assessing static and dynamic piping systems many years ago) then is it not feasible that the 7z well is drawing from water around structural closure level, but the 6 well is not as Either it is higher (and hence the pressure draw down is not sufficient to draw from that level OR the fracture network it has intersected does not include "major" (low flow resistance ) fractures extending as low as the 7z well? if that is the case that introduces risk on any future well, not only on level but on ability to map fractures vertically to a high degree of accuracy. that hammers risk IMV on any further well..subject of course to further and better modeling.

as i say, my focus is on the risk and more importantly the perceived risk

(add)
and to add - from the rns 13th dec.
"The heels of the 205/21a-6 well ("6 Well") and 205-21a-7Z well ("7Z Well") are only 350 metres apart. Data gathered thus far indicates immediate and strong pressure communication between the wells, suggesting that together they act as a single well."

"immediate" - that indicates quick first order time domain response and "strong" - that indicates good at second order (rate of change).

as i say i am not a resi / geo at all.. i am a mech / dynamics (noise and vibration) looking at this as a bunch of "oval shaped pipes" connected as a dynamic system.

perhaps i should get my coat and go back to me day job...and commenting on investment cases also!

thanks, pjoe

Moderator Message:
pjoe,
Firstly I have edited your various interrupted posts and put all the stuff you were asking into the one post, and disappeared the stray ends. Ordinarily we put a mod box (like this) into the sequence when we do something like that, but not necessarily all the time. I hope that is OK with you. (if not PM me). In due course I will disappear this post so that the thread runs even more smoothly. (us Mods keep an eye on each other to make sure we are all playing fair). Secondly, the substance of your post. Let me have a read of it tomorrow, between my day job. Unless someone else answers first. For now it is soon my bed time. I just wanted to let you know how I tidied the thread up and that you weren't being ignored.
regards, dspp (as a Mod)

tournesol
Lemon Pip

Postby tournesol » February 4th, 2020, 11:08 am

DSPP

Bravo. Monumental post - intimidatingly technical and rather overwhelming detail - but very impressive grasp of the subject. Thank you for an enlightening masterclass.

As a non-geologist non-techy, my own concern is not whether the hypothetical 3c resource is 3 billion or 2 billion or 1 billion or half a billion. Those are numbers whose achievement is so far off into the distant future as to be almost completely irrelevant to my thinking. For all I know they might be so distant that demand for oil will have dissipated before their limits are reached.

I just want to know whether HUR's assets are reliably worth more than 20p today and what a fair expectation might be for their value in a year or two.

It seems to me that if the EPS succeeds and looks like reliably producing more than 20k bopd for the next 10 years (increasing to 40k bopd at some point) then that alone implies a value which exceeds today's share price by a large margin. Of course all of the revenue from the EPS could end up being spaffed against a wall (to coin a phrase) if it gets used to explore prospective areas of Warwick or additional areas of Lancaster which fall outside the scope of the EPS AND if those areas turn out to be unproductive/uneconomic (as was the case for 2 of the 3 exploration wells drilled in 2019.)

So there are at base three critical questions:-

1) Is the EPS successful? Will it continue to be successful?
2) Why didn't the Warwick wells succeed?
3) What is a reasonable expectation for the rump of Lancaster outside the EPS? Will it be like the successful EPS section? Or will it be like the unsuccesful Warwick section where recent wells failed?

The vexed question of water - acquifer or perched is then a sub-clause in questions 1 and 3 rather than being the single focal point for concern. It is clearly important but it is not the only thing to think about.

I tend to think that we cannot expect much light to be thrown on these questions until the CMD in March. Roll on the day. Until then it's grit teeth or slip quietly out of the room.

I'm holding, but I am finding it painful.

Return to “Oil & Gas & Energy (Sector & Companies)”