Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Hurricane Energy (HUR)

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Hurricane Energy (HUR)

Postby dspp » November 24th, 2020, 4:22 pm

FabianBjornseth wrote:I am not sure if it even goes into criminal negligence/misleading statement territory, the bar is probably very high for this on subsurface projects, but others with more experience may comment on this.

I have seen companies do some really 'interesting' things with well tests and suchlike data. The most relevant funnily enough on water influx via fractures (on another field) !

I rather suspect that HUR board are very keen to keep a low profile and let time pass in the hope that nobody explores legal pathways regarding data released to shareholders.

Once again, odd share price movements.

regards, dspp

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 24th, 2020, 8:51 pm

FabianBjornseth wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:A fascinating read, the other side of the Hurricane Energy story from an ex-OGA employee -

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/n ... -shetland/

Another piece of evidence on how the project could go so wrong. I guess you have to give the previous management some credit for having the cojones to even silence dissenting voices within the OGA. And if that's the attitude towards the OGA, one can only imagine the groupthink going on inside the building.

Depends on how one interprets the role of the OGA. I don't think they are there to protect investors, but to maximise the tax take for the UK before the whole UKCS is forced to shut down by the decarbonizing religion. Maximising the tax take means encouraging new ideas and concepts, just as long as they are entirely privately funded. The people who produced the CPR can be criticized, but I think Pye has gone a bit ultra vires.

Tinderboy
Lemon Pip

Postby Tinderboy » November 26th, 2020, 7:07 pm

Question for dspp, do you think drilling another well in lancaster will happen and if so where would you drill it?

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » November 26th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Tinderboy wrote:Question for dspp, do you think drilling another well in lancaster will happen and if so where would you drill it?

Gosh, there's a question. Especially since none of us out here have full knowledge of actually what was seen in the Lan wells, or that that matter Halifax or Lincoln/Warwick which are all relevant. And you are almost certainly asking for a reason.

Let me deal with the where & what, before the if.

Based on what I have seen there is no point drilling an injector. The reason I say that is because it would almost certainly simply cycle water directly and quickly to the connected fractures. If it doesn't intersect connected fractures then by definition it won't give pressure support. And if the aquifer is so disconnected that pressure support is required then it is a clue that the connected volumes (and choke to the aquifer) are so small that this field ain't economic. So in my opinion a water injector is not interesting as a target.

Gas volumes do not indicate a disposal problem. Pressure support would only be a concern at this case in the scenario where the field ain't economic. So in my opinion a gas disposal well in the crest is not interesting.

They are so on-the-ropes that a vertical OWC delineation well for step-out appraisal well would be problematic on a stand-alone basis. For OWC identification to unattributably occur you need to be real lucky with intersecting the right sort of fractures at the right depths, and getting the right info out of them. I could contemplate a drill vertical for appraisal then plug back and sidetrack into a producer scenario.

Trying to get a producer in has fewer targets than you might think. Given the likely (shallow) OWC, and given the need to stay underneath the draping seal, and given the desire to intersect fractures at particular orientations, and given the need to stay within the assured flowline distance, and given the preference (?) to re-use an existing tree & structure (i.e. the existing watered out well) then that gives a very few areas. If one is prepared to splurge on the new tree/flowline/etc (which, let's remember, has already been ordered, but could be resold 'as-new/unused' right now) then that widens the number of targets. In which case I'd consider how lucky I felt on the PI of the targets, bearing in mind the previous disappointments (because it has to flow enough to get flow assurance), and then step out as far as I felt lucky with to the north-ish, i.e. trying to understand what up-Rona in the Hal direction looks like. And to deliberately not have direct intersection with the existing fractures in production. And I would do that with a vertical that was then plugged back and (if showing good) sidetracked horizontal/inclined to as shallow as I could place it.

As to the if.

I don't think the OGA will sanction another well until all debts & decommissioning & etc is fully set aside; and a cracking drill-case put forwards. And I can't for the life of me think who feels brave enough to pay for it because it would almost certainly require extra cash. Unless of course the existing duo of wells have miraculously stopped increasing their watercut, have fully stabilised with no further pressure declines. And cash is rolling in enough to contemplate an AM FPSO extension. That is a lot of 6s to roll in a sequence. I can't see who would want to try, and why, in the current (macro, pro-renewables, secular O&G decline) climate given the extraction delays that are now baked-in to even a successful min-Lancaster scenario.

Good luck to any still holding. Personally I more than made up for HUR by way of my smaller TSLA stake, but I suspect I am in a minority.

regards, dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » November 27th, 2020, 9:24 am

dspp wrote:
Tinderboy wrote:Question for dspp, do you think drilling another well in lancaster will happen and if so where would you drill it?

Gosh, there's a question. Especially since none of us out here have full knowledge of actually what was seen in the Lan wells, or that that matter Halifax or Lincoln/Warwick which are all relevant. And you are almost certainly asking for a reason......

Gas volumes do not indicate a disposal problem. Pressure support would only be a concern at this case in the scenario where the field ain't economic. So in my opinion a gas disposal well in the crest is not interesting......

regards, dspp

A quick add re the attractiveness or otherwise of a gas injection well, as there are circumstances where it might be relevant here.

If one takes the view that a horizontal producer is required to penetrate enough productive fractures, BUT one also notes that the field is relatively thin with the higher OWC, then the question becomes how to prevent the aquifer moving up and flooding the whole of the horizontal (as vertical well water-shut-off techniques are not good solutions in a horizontal, and esp not in a fractured reservoir). An approach is to inject gas above to create a gas cap (in human time-frames) and to try to hold what becomes an thin oil layer down at the producer level. This would be very tricky to do in Rona as the gas would be coned downwards via the fractures (fingering downwards is perhaps a better word). So one would then be playing with volumes injected vs volumes extracted vs water coning up vs water coning down and vs extraction rates to try to find the best compromise. To be honest in the situation we appear to observe in the Lancaster reservoir it all looks like a very slim chance on making a bit of money vs a larger chance of losing even more money.

regards, dspp

Tinderboy
Lemon Pip

Postby Tinderboy » November 27th, 2020, 3:11 pm

As always many thanks for such a detailed response, its way above my understanding TBH.
So discounting WI, the next best and cheapest option would be to use the watered out well and drill a side track and try to land just above the decent well but also hit a good cross section where there is good pressure.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » November 27th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Tinderboy wrote:As always many thanks for such a detailed response, its way above my understanding TBH.
So discounting WI, the next best and cheapest option would be to use the watered out well and drill a side track and try to land just above the decent well but also hit a good cross section where there is good pressure.

We don't know enough to be sure if this is viable. We would need to know the casing scheme and the amount of casing wear that it has already been subject to. Then we'd need to figure out if we could kick-off and reach a target of interest and still retain enough casing integrity, and do so in such a way as to get the required completion back in. I am afraid there is always more detail and more devilry in the detail. It could be that the more interesting targets are worth spending the $$ on a completely new well from a more optimal location. I am very happy to watch out of technical curiosity but not involving my own $$.

regards, dspp

Proselenes
Lemon Quarter

Postby Proselenes » December 18th, 2020, 7:17 am

News is released.

Water cut increases from 19% to 23%.

Also openly saying now potentially big dilution coming, and if the funding is not agreed then the wells will be run until uneconomic and then the company shut down.

...........It should be noted that there is a risk of dilution to existing shareholders from a possible restructuring and/or partial equitisation of the convertible bonds. Furthermore, if no agreement can be reached with the Company's stakeholders on additional investment, further development activity at Lancaster might not be possible. In such a scenario, Lancaster could continue to produce from existing wells before reaching the economic limit, the timing of which would depend on oil prices, actual production levels delivered and the level of cost savings achievable. The field may then be decommissioned, with potentially limited or no value returned to shareholders. Notwithstanding these risks, the Company will endeavour to secure the best possible outcome for all stakeholders. ..........

wanderer101

Postby wanderer101 » December 18th, 2020, 7:18 am

Latest corporate and operational update out this morning.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/hurricane ... 00050931J/

Looks like the only two options are a debt for equity swap massively diluting existing holders, or rundown and wind-up:

Substantive discussions with certain key stakeholders (including holders of the Company's outstanding convertible bonds) and relevant third parties are expected to commence shortly in regard to the funding of and/or required support for the development options described above.

It should be noted that there is a risk of dilution to existing shareholders from a possible restructuring and/or partial equitisation of the convertible bonds. Furthermore, if no agreement can be reached with the Company's stakeholders on additional investment, further development activity at Lancaster might not be possible. In such a scenario, Lancaster could continue to produce from existing wells before reaching the economic limit, the timing of which would depend on oil prices, actual production levels delivered and the level of cost savings achievable. The field may then be decommissioned, with potentially limited or no value returned to shareholders.

No longer a holder, but still watching to learn what I can. Commiserations to all fellow sufferers.

wand

Proselenes
Lemon Quarter

Postby Proselenes » December 18th, 2020, 7:22 am

So it will come down to, imo.

Bondholders..........do you want to spend no more money run the wells until they are no longer economic, generate as much cash as possible and then take it back after decomm costs to pay back as much of the debt as possible ?

Or

Bondholders.......Convert some of your debt to equity - make shareholders suffer massive dilution for more money.........use this money to see if we can strike some better oil bearing area and then maybe, maybe, maybe, you might get a bit more of the cash back than option 1 above of doing nothing.

Either way imo, equity is going to be murdered.

Wyneric

Postby Wyneric » December 18th, 2020, 7:47 am

...feel for shareholders... but the last paragraph in the RNS pretty much sums up the situation...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 18th, 2020, 8:04 am

I don't feel for the shareholders and I do not expect any of the surviving ones are looking for sympathy either. Any who are still holding will know very well what the risks with this company are; they have been well warned. If a disaster comes out of the blue through fraud or something, shareholders need some sympathy but not in this situation at this time. I have watched from the side lines as Hurricane has got itself ever further into the mire and plenty of people much more knowledgeable than I have warned of the risks plenty of times.

Dod

Wyneric

Postby Wyneric » December 18th, 2020, 8:30 am

It was just a generalisation. :roll: ..to go from what was regarded at the time as perhaps real potential to virtually nothing....
I sympathise because I've been in a similar sort of situation in the past with the likes of Petroceltic...

Tinderboy
Lemon Pip

Postby Tinderboy » December 18th, 2020, 9:27 am

This RNS reads like the doctor telling the patient how successful the removal of his testicle was but unfortunately he removed the wrong one, im struggling to understand what the function is of this board, would not ben better to provide a basic production update at this point and then update the market when funding had been secured or not?

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 18th, 2020, 9:59 am

The update per HUR's own website is at:

https://www.hurricaneenergy.com/investors

taking one to:

https://ir.design-portfolio.co.uk/viewer/6/7070

"Costs are currently estimated at c.$75 million" [for the 7z sidetrack + new water injector] vs at "30 November 2020, the Company had net free cash1 of $87 million.".

This is a 'put-it-all-on-red' moment.

regards, dspp

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 18th, 2020, 11:17 am

Wyneric wrote:It was just a generalisation. :roll: ..to go from what was regarded at the time as perhaps real potential to virtually nothing....
I sympathise because I've been in a similar sort of situation in the past with the likes of Petroceltic...

You don't need to justify what you are saying! We all have our own views and are entitled to them!

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 18th, 2020, 11:18 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Death throes. In the kitchen sink RNS there were no plans for equity dilution. In today's there is dilution or wipe out on the agenda. The new management are clearly no more straight talking than the previous incumbents.

Once a culture is embedded it is very difficult to change it as this company seems once again to illustrate.

Dod

thehaggistrap
2 Lemon pips

Postby thehaggistrap » December 18th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Long time holder who like many followed the Trice dream and lost a small fortune...
Live and learn!

Two comments:

1) The new board are no better than the last one. The kitchen sinking was brutally honest. However it trashed the share price to such a point that raising equity is now no longer possible or effective... The forward work programme should have been announced back in September!

2) I believe there might still be value in the Lancaster reservoir and surrounding area. However share holders wont be the ones to profit from it. With benefit of hindsight Hurricane should have proven up Lancaster before going exploring on Warwick or Halifax. Ultimately the company stretched itself to a point where it cant now afford the remedial works required to make Lancaster work.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 18th, 2020, 4:23 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Death throes. In the kitchen sink RNS there were no plans for equity dilution. In today's there is dilution or wipe out on the agenda. The new management are clearly no more straight talking than the previous incumbents.

Seriously?

You think the issue of the maturing Convertible Bond, and the likely refinancing weren't known? Frankly anyone that wasn't aware of a likely dilution, and then complains, is not understanding risk/reward enough to be invested in such situations I would say.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 18th, 2020, 4:36 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Seriously?

You think the issue of the maturing Convertible Bond, and the likely refinancing weren't known? Frankly anyone that wasn't aware of a likely dilution, and then complains, is not understanding risk/reward enough to be invested in such situations I would say.

I am serious that's what the previous RNS said.

RVF

So the maturing Convertible Bond has been known about since its issuance, and as we have got closer to that date, and given the operating updates, it should be recognised the importance of how the company might be refinanced.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/hurricane ... 00054425B/

This I believe is the RNS you are referring to. What did you think the section under Stakeholder Engagement where they say "As disclosed in the interim results announcement, the Company intends to engage with all key stakeholders regarding its forward work programme, capital allocation and financing arrangements in light of the revised reserves estimates for the Lancaster field and challenging macroeconomic backdrop." was referring to? Ahead of the discussions this is about as clear an indication of potential dilution as you are likely to get I would say.

Return to “Oil & Gas & Energy (Sector & Companies)”