Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

LTA tested for DC Death Benefits

meldrewlives
Lemon Pip

LTA tested for DC Death Benefits

Postby meldrewlives » October 14th, 2019, 10:19 am

I had understood that the final point at which the LTA is tested is age 75.

However, in an old Investors Chronicle article that I happened to come across this morning I noted a comment that if the deceased was over 75 then not only would those inheriting under the Death Benefits provision pay tax at their marginal rate for any income taken, they would also pay the surcharge "if the pension pot exceeded the LTA".

I took that to mean the deceased's LTA but I don't see how that could work, particularly if little income was taken and the pot(s) (if multiple beneficiaries) continued to grow.

That wasn't my understanding but can anyone clarify this?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: LTA tested for DC Death Benefits

Postby scrumpyjack » October 14th, 2019, 10:46 am

The Pru has loads of detail on all this.
https://www.pruadviser.co.uk/knowledge- ... allowance/

I haven't studied it in depth but it does say the rules on this changed in April 2015 and I think that post 75 the LTA no longer applies on death. So if the IC article is pre Apr 2015 it may not be applicable.

I'm sure some other lemon will answer your question!

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » October 14th, 2019, 2:06 pm

meldrewlives wrote:I had understood that the final point at which the LTA is tested is age 75.

However, in an old Investors Chronicle article that I happened to come across this morning I noted a comment that if the deceased was over 75 then not only would those inheriting under the Death Benefits provision pay tax at their marginal rate for any income taken, they would also pay the surcharge "if the pension pot exceeded the LTA".

I took that to mean the deceased's LTA but I don't see how that could work, particularly if little income was taken and the pot(s) (if multiple beneficiaries) continued to grow.

That wasn't my understanding but can anyone clarify this?

Hi meldrewlives

Under the Benefit Crystallisation Event (BCE) regs, you are correct to say that the beneficiary will face marginal rate income tax on any benefits drawn if the deceased was over age 75.

Death is not a BCE after the age of 75 though so there is no LTA charge payable on death after age 75.

Here's some info https://adviser.royallondon.com/technic ... five_faqs/

Cheers, OLTB.

meldrewlives
Lemon Pip

Postby meldrewlives » October 16th, 2019, 8:18 am

Thanks for the replies and the links.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”