Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Use a SIPP for this?

neversay
Lemon Slice

Use a SIPP for this?

Postby neversay » December 5th, 2019, 5:23 pm

My wife is a Director of my business and, in the interests of tax efficiency, want to make a £10k to £20k payment into a new pension for her before our financial year-end on Dec 31st.

At present she has a 401(k), a UK local government pension, and an amount just under £1k that has been loitering in a L&G Stakeholder Pension for a number of years. IIRC the last time I checked L&G said that it was 'too small' to transfer at the time (although I have forgotten the context). I currently have a SIPP with II although plan to move to Vanguard SIPP when it is available.

My question is, should I:

1. Open my wife a SIPP with say II (or another provider?) on the basis that it will stay small and/or be moved to Vanguard if they allow small pots.
2. Something else (e.g. get it into the L&G stakeholder pension then transfer the lot elsewhere in slower time)

It's only going to be a small pot so I want it simple and without excessive charges.

Apologies for poor phrasing but hopefully it makes sense...

N.

deadeyedjacks

Re: Use a SIPP for this?

Postby deadeyedjacks » December 6th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Hi,
You say your wife has a 401K that implies they have USA Citizenship.

You may thus find many UK providers do not wish to have her as a customer due to the USA Govt.'s onerous overseas income and taxation regime.

HTH

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » December 6th, 2019, 3:10 pm

deadeyedjacks wrote:Hi,
You say your wife has a 401K that implies they have USA Citizenship.

You may thus find many UK providers do not wish to have her as a customer due to the USA Govt.'s onerous overseas income and taxation regime.

HTH

@deadeyedjacks. Quite right she's American but has joint citizenship. That's a very useful reply - many thanks!

EDIT: there is information on that point here https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/bl ... -expat-uk/ in case others discover this thread. Thanks again @deadeyedjacks.

deadeyedjacks

Postby deadeyedjacks » December 6th, 2019, 4:14 pm

It also seems you'll have to be very careful regarding chosing the most appropriate type of investments within the SIPP to meet both US & UK reporting and taxation requirements.

https://thunfinancial.com/home/american ... p-article/

Seems like a minefield ! Best of luck !

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”