Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

carry forward ellgibility question

BitterLemon

carry forward ellgibility question

Postby BitterLemon » February 21st, 2021, 12:38 pm

Hi all

I'm considering changing SIPP provider and wanted to check that this won't adversely affect my elligibility to use prior years Annual Allowance in carry forward.

I infer that it is sufficient that you simply had a scheme in place and not necessary that the scheme you had in place at the time is still active.

The criteria on pensionsadvisoryservice says:
Carry forward allows you to make use of any annual allowance that you may not have used during the three previous tax years, provided that you were a member of a registered pension scheme.

So an example for clarity - lets say 2 years ago I held a SIPP with hargreaves. If I now transfer and close that SIPP to say Fidelity then in a years time will I be elligible to carry forward unused AA for the years when the SIPP was held with Hargreaves?

Also when trying to find the answer to my question I came accross this https://www.pruadviser.co.uk/knowledge-literature/knowledge-library/annual-allowance-carry-forward/# page which defines what "member" means. I think it applies to PIPs but it got me wondering whether I needed to have made any contribution whatsoever during the year that I wish to carry forward or whether that isn't necessary?

Anyone who is eligible can carry forward any unused annual allowances from a tax year in which they were a member of, or joined, a UK registered pension scheme. This is a very broad rule. ‘Member’ includes:

Active: currently accruing/ building up benefits in the scheme, paying individual contributions or receiving contributions on their behalf, for example, from an employer or any other third party
Deferred: has a paid-up fund, or a right to receive pension benefits at a later date
Pensioner: receiving payment of benefits from the scheme, such as a scheme pension
Pension credit: member has received a pension credit (following a divorce and as directed in a pension sharing court order)

BitterLemon

Re: carry forward ellgibility question

Postby BitterLemon » February 24th, 2021, 12:55 pm

Bump.

Can anyone please help?

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » February 24th, 2021, 1:53 pm

No, carry forward from a particular past year does not require to have paid into a scheme in that year. Simply having a scheme in place counts (i.e. "deferred" in the list you quote).

BitterLemon

Postby BitterLemon » February 27th, 2021, 11:07 am

bluedonkey wrote:No, carry forward from a particular past year does not require to have paid into a scheme in that year. Simply having a scheme in place counts (i.e. "deferred" in the list you quote).

Thanks bluedonkey.

On my other question can you confirm that it doesn't matter if the scheme you held in the year you are carrying forward from needs to be open now? ie per my hargreaves/fidelity example above.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”