Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Small DC pension - options?

20thcenturyboy

Small DC pension - options?

Postby 20thcenturyboy » June 24th, 2021, 4:05 pm

Hi all, I have 2 pensions, a DB scheme and a small DC scheme. The DB scheme is fine and I don't want to touch it. However the small DC scheme is worth about £40K if transferred out. Is it worth moving it into a SIPP say with a low cost Vanguard ETF? The current fund is expensive and underperforming (it's a legacy fund from the 90s). I quite like the idea of managing it myself as it's small enough not to be life changing if I mess up, but has potential upside if I do well (better than leaving it where it is any way).

I'm assuming there's no way I can get my hands on the full £40K in one lump sum? Oh and I'm 53 - I guess that's important :-)

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Small DC pension - options?

Postby Urbandreamer » June 24th, 2021, 4:32 pm

20thcenturyboy wrote:The current fund is expensive and underperforming (it's a legacy fund from the 90s). I quite like the idea of managing it myself as it's small enough not to be life changing if I mess up, but has potential upside if I do well (better than leaving it where it is any way).

I'm assuming there's no way I can get my hands on the full £40K in one lump sum? Oh and I'm 53 - I guess that's important :-)

Is it worth transfering: YES!
My wife would rather someone else looks after pension so she transfered her 90s scheme to St' James Place. They come in for a lot of stick, but she is over the moon with it's performance since.
Is it worth managing your own pension in a SIPP. Well I have a frozen DB scheme and two DC scheme's. I am happy with the SIPP that i manage myself, it's great fun and I'm ok at investing. So I'd say that's a yes too.*
Is there any way to get your hands on it as a lump sum. Well definately not for a few years and I would regard taking it early as a truely bad idea. You might even have to stop any DB contributions, which would affect your final pension.

*I know nothing of your tax situation, however I am a 20% tax payer intending to retire at 60. I will be able to ensure that taxable income is below the personal allowance until 65-67. Hence any money saved in my SIPP recieves a true 20% uplift from the government as tax won't be paid when I take it out in those years.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » June 24th, 2021, 9:42 pm

You need to compare your transfer value with the cost of buying the benefits of the existing scheme. Index linked annuities are very expensive nowadays. Costs will bite deep for a £40K SIPP. Your cheapest option might be Vanguard's platform. A repetition of past equity returns does not look likely from current valuations (the world index is at an all time high), but nobody knows the future.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » June 25th, 2021, 11:42 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
20thcenturyboy wrote:The current fund is expensive and underperforming (it's a legacy fund from the 90s). I quite like the idea of managing it myself as it's small enough not to be life changing if I mess up, but has potential upside if I do well (better than leaving it where it is any way).

Is it worth transfering: YES!
My wife would rather someone else looks after pension so she transfered her 90s scheme to St' James Place. They come in for a lot of stick, but she is over the moon with it's performance since.
Is it worth managing your own pension in a SIPP. Well I have a frozen DB scheme and two DC scheme's. I am happy with the SIPP that i manage myself, it's great fun and I'm ok at investing. So I'd say that's a yes too.*
Is there any way to get your hands on it as a lump sum. Well definately not for a few years and I would regard taking it early as a truely bad idea. You might even have to stop any DB contributions, which would affect your final pension.

If, in a few years when you are able to, you wwre to put the DC scheme/SIPP into drawdown and take out more than the tax free lump sum then a new lower limit on pension contributions to DC schemes known as MPPA would kick in which would currently restrict you to only being able to contribute £4000 per year. It should be noted though that this MPAA only applies to contributions to money-purchase/DC schemes it doesn't restrict contributions to DB pensions - though it would restrict contributions to any associated AVC.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/money-purchase-annual-allowance

However, if you start to take money from a defined contribution pension, the amount you can pay into a pension and still get tax relief reduces. This is known as the Money Purchase Annual Allowance or MPAA.

As a basic guide, the main situations when you’ll trigger the MPAA are:

If you take your entire pension pot as a lump sum or start to take ad-hoc lump sums from your pension pot
If you put your pension pot money into a flexi-access drawdown scheme and start to take an income
If you buy an investment-linked or flexible annuity where your income could go down
If you have a pre-April 2015 capped drawdown plan and start to take payments that exceed the cap

The MPAA won’t normally be triggered if:

You take a tax-free cash lump sum and buy a lifetime annuity that provides a guaranteed income for life that either stays level or increases
You take a tax-free cash lump sum and put your pension pot into a flexi-access drawdown scheme but don’t take any income from it
You cash in small pension pots valued at less than £10,000

The MPAA only applies to contributions to defined contribution pensions and not defined benefit pension schemes.

The MPAA is £4,000 for the 2020/21 tax year.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”