Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

PCLS additional protected tax-free cash

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

PCLS additional protected tax-free cash

Postby MyNameIsUrl » November 21st, 2021, 4:57 pm

I'm planning to take the maximum tax-free cash from one of my pension pots to put it all into drawdown. The provider tells me I have an additional protected tax-free amount of some 9k over and above the normal 25%.

Sounds like good news - but are there any issues I should be aware of, particularly in respect of LTA calculations?

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Re: PCLS additional protected tax-free cash

Postby ursaminortaur » November 22nd, 2021, 9:23 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I'm planning to take the maximum tax-free cash from one of my pension pots to put it all into drawdown. The provider tells me I have an additional protected tax-free amount of some 9k over and above the normal 25%.

Sounds like good news - but are there any issues I should be aware of, particularly in respect of LTA calculations?

Although the calculation of the value of the protected PCLS is complicated and has a few quirks see

https://www.adviser-edge.bmogam.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/794236-1019-protected-pcls-why-the-reduction-in-the-lta-was-good-for-some-final.pdf

the fraction of the LTA limit used up will as far as I am aware still be

(Total value of pot) / (Current LTA limit)

( or

(Total value of pot) / (protected LTA limit)

if you had opted to take some level of LTA protection.

Of course if you had taken the original enhanced protection and still satisfied the conditions (no contributions after A-day etc etc) then there would be no possibility of a charge for exceeding the LTA limit.

https://techzone.abrdn.com/public/pensi ... protection

)

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”