Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Phone call re BRG (SIPPclub) advice

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Phone call re BRG (SIPPclub) advice

Postby mc2fool » March 10th, 2022, 3:07 pm

Like some others here, a few years back when it was easier to do, I transferred a DB pension to a SIPP using the SIPPclub introduced IFA, the Better Retirement Group.

Well today I got a phone call from 020 3148 6449 by a lady from didn't-catch-the-name-but-it-had-"Pension"-in-it who said that I'd recently transferred a pension with advice from the Better Retirement Group and I'd have "lost money" as a result. A bit taken aback at the call, I just said I was happy with the advice and she quickly said ok they'd note that, and hung up.

The whole thing was very quick and took me by surprise and I wish now I'd interrogated her on who she was, what they were actually after, and how they got my numbers*.

So, I'm posting about it here (a) to ask if anyone else has received a similar call and (b) to give the "heads up" to other BRG transferees that they might get such a call, so that they can be a bit more prepared than I was. ;)

* They first called my landline, but if I don't recognise the number I usually let it get to the answering machine picking up, although in this case it didn't get that far with them hanging up before that but then immediately calling my mobile, and as I don't think any marketeers have both of my numbers, only "pukka" companies I've dealt with, I answered that.

BTW. Yes, I know BRG got sanctioned by the FCA for their no-transfer-no-fee approach, but I don't want this thread to get into any of that, or anything about BRG, but just about the phone calls, as per (a) & (b) above, please.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Phone call re BRG (SIPPclub) advice

Postby Alaric » March 10th, 2022, 3:52 pm

mc2fool wrote:BTW. Yes, I know BRG got sanctioned by the FCA for their no-transfer-no-fee approach, but I don't want this thread to get into any of that, or anything about BRG, but just about the phone calls, as per (a) & (b) above, please.

At a guess, your details have been passed onto a firm of ambulance chasers or even an appointee of the FCA. I think the idea iis that you pay these people to get you compensation for "bad advice".

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 10th, 2022, 5:39 pm

Alaric wrote:
mc2fool wrote:BTW. Yes, I know BRG got sanctioned by the FCA for their no-transfer-no-fee approach, but I don't want this thread to get into any of that, or anything about BRG, but just about the phone calls, as per (a) & (b) above, please.

At a guess, your details have been passed onto a firm of ambulance chasers or even an appointee of the FCA. I think the idea iis that you pay these people to get you compensation for "bad advice".

I dunno, thing is there was no absolutely "sell" at all. The phone call was very short and after my saying I was happy with the advice in answer to her initial statement I was expecting her to ask more and/or try and convince me otherwise, but she just quickly said ok they'd note that and hung up.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 17th, 2023, 2:14 am

There seems to be a postscript to this ... see viewtopic.php?p=576203#p576203

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”