Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

minimum pension age - protected rights 55 vs 57

BitterLemon

minimum pension age - protected rights 55 vs 57

Postby BitterLemon » March 29th, 2023, 11:13 pm

Hi

So I understand that there is a rise for minimum age at which you can draw on a private pension from 55 to 57 (and possibly beyond).
I would like to understand the minimum age at which I can take my pension given prior and future changes in legislation. I may have a protected right to take it at 55 despite not getting to that age for a good few years yet.

I just came across article that suggests acting in the next week (by april 5th 2023) might allow you to switch to a pension provider who will protect your right : https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/loophole-to-beat-pension-age-hike-to-57-discovered-should-you-consider-it-aAWzZ3f3EACb

II notice this was dated July 21 and am guessing its out of date and wrong?

I search some more and HMRC make it sound fairly simple with 2 criteria being having an unqualified right and being a member at some point in 2021:
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/pensions-tax-manual/ptm062215
PTM062210 explains more about what is meant by an unqualified right

I found more detail on AJBells website: https://www.investcentre.co.uk/articles/nmpa-more-complex-it-looks

I've contacted my pension provider and asked if I have an unqualified right (member doesn’t need anyone’s consent) to take benefits. They werent very clear but the said that I have an unqualified right but that they wern't willing to do the admin to protect it but implied I could move to another provider who might. I asked them to refer me to the t&cs which confirm my unqualified right. If I have this what are the considerations about how and when I transfer to another provider (ignoring the usual costs/service level considerations)?

But they also muddied the waters as they were talking about various dates such as whether I was born pre ~1973 or between 73 and 75 and they were also talking about 2028. Im not sure if and how the various dates are relevant.

Hoping someone can fill in the blanks here as its all a bit confusing!

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Re: minimum pension age - protected rights 55 vs 57

Postby Padders72 » March 30th, 2023, 8:15 am

I don't know the full details but have a vested interest and I believe the current cut off is indeed whether you hit the 55 age by 2028. This tallies with the 1973 birth date. The 1973-75 bit is new to me but might suggest they are applying some form of tapered relief for those that just miss out. If you don't that means you are young enough that you may indeed get caught up in an age cut off rise and I doubt there is a lot you can do to avoid it.

BitterLemon

Re: minimum pension age - protected rights 55 vs 57

Postby BitterLemon » March 30th, 2023, 9:50 pm

Yes i've gathered after reading a few more things that the birth dates quoted relate to ages that either hit 55 before the 2028 date or somewhat do. That's not my situation, I wont be 55 until the next decade so it was rather unhelpful of them to cloud my mind with what are (for me) irrelevant dates.

Still not sure if that which link I posted above is incorrect and if i need to act very fast before tax year end.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”