Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Civil Service Pension

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Civil Service Pension

Postby Dicky99 » May 22nd, 2023, 9:48 pm

I'm jumping the gun here because I've just emailed the CSP but since they will endeavour to respond within 20 days I figured I may as well pose the question here while I wait.
My first job post Uni back in 1987 was with the Property Services Agency but I left the Civil Service after just 10 months.
If I recall correctly it was a non contributory pension scheme. I haven't thought of it since but I wondered whether there might be a wee bit of pension to come. Somebody who I know who worked or the police service for a short time said that if I was there under two years it would have been paid to me in my final paycheck but I am pretty certain that that wasn't the case.
Thankfully for me, for sentimental reasons, I kept my very first payslip all these years which means I have my payroll number, staff no. etc to quote.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Civil Service Pension

Postby Alaric » May 22nd, 2023, 10:08 pm

Dicky99 wrote:ISomebody who I know who worked or the police service for a short time said that if I was there under two years it would have been paid to me in my final paycheck but I am pretty certain that that wasn't the case.

There was likely a rule which said that if you left within two years, you got your contributions back. That may be what was deemed to have happened, but as you didn't make any contributions if the scheme was non-contributory, you got nothing back.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » May 22nd, 2023, 10:43 pm

Alaric wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:ISomebody who I know who worked or the police service for a short time said that if I was there under two years it would have been paid to me in my final paycheck but I am pretty certain that that wasn't the case.

There was likely a rule which said that if you left within two years, you got your contributions back. That may be what was deemed to have happened, but as you didn't make any contributions if the scheme was non-contributory, you got nothing back.

That had crossed my mind but I figured that despite being non contributory by me the contributions made on my behalf still formed a part of my remuneration.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » May 22nd, 2023, 10:50 pm

I emailed the CSP last year and they never responded. I suggest you write a paper letter.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 23rd, 2023, 7:41 am

Dicky99 wrote:
That had crossed my mind but I figured that despite being non contributory by me the contributions made on my behalf still formed a part of my remuneration.

They don't though. The remuneration is the promise made in the scheme rules.

In defined benefit schemes, the employer contribution relates to the scheme as a whole. In most public sector schemes there's no build uo of funds anyway, since the benefit entitlements when they become payable are treated as a charge against future taxation.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » May 23rd, 2023, 12:21 pm

Try reading the information at: https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.o ... ep2014.pdf

A new pension scheme was set up in 2016, but this dates back to 2014, so should be relevant to your circumstances. I note that it says you will be sent a statement every year, but I found when I left the Civil Service that they no longer do this, though they will send one if you request it.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 23rd, 2023, 12:25 pm

Gersemi wrote:A new pension scheme was set up in 2016, but this dates back to 2014, so should be relevant to your circumstances.

The OP left with less than two year's service. I don't think they will get anything.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » May 23rd, 2023, 12:41 pm

Alaric wrote:
Gersemi wrote:A new pension scheme was set up in 2016, but this dates back to 2014, so should be relevant to your circumstances.

The OP left with less than two year's service. I don't think they will get anything.

Yes, I think that's right. However they would have paid WPS ('Widows & Orphans") contributions of 1.5% of salary - these would have been refunded when they left.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » May 23rd, 2023, 12:46 pm

Okay thanks all. I should avoid the temptation to anticipate a windfall by the sound of it.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 23rd, 2023, 12:46 pm

Gersemi wrote: However they would have paid WPS ('Widows & Orphans") contributions of 1.5% of salary - these would have been refunded when they left.

Even in 1987 and as a recent graduate presumably unmarried and without children ? Either way, there's nothing now.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » May 23rd, 2023, 7:25 pm

Alaric wrote:
Gersemi wrote: However they would have paid WPS ('Widows & Orphans") contributions of 1.5% of salary - these would have been refunded when they left.

Even in 1987 and as a recent graduate presumably unmarried and without children ? Either way, there's nothing now.

Yes, because if you left with less than two years service you weren't eligible for the pension, so effectively you left the scheme if you left employment with less two years service, and so the WPS was refunded

https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.o ... r-pension/

Everybody paid WPS, presumably on the grounds that they were likely to gain a spouse and children at some point (!), as stated this is refunded if you leave the scheme or are single when you retire.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » May 23rd, 2023, 8:13 pm

I've been looking forward to my WPS refund holiday for decades!

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 24th, 2023, 8:47 am

Gersemi wrote:
Alaric wrote:

Yes, because if you left with less than two years service you weren't eligible for the pension, so effectively you left the scheme if you left employment with less two years service, and so the WPS was refunded

https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.o ... r-pension/

Everybody paid WPS, presumably on the grounds that they were likely to gain a spouse and children at some point (!), as stated this is refunded if you leave the scheme or are single when you retire.

With less than 2 years service then any employee contributions are refunded if you leave the scheme.

If you have more than 2 years service then the WPS in the pre-2015 pension schemes is refunded with interest if you are single when you retire.

However there is a non-optional deduction from the refund of around 25% as an 'insurance policy' against you marrying after you retire, as your new spouse would be eligible for the same survivor's pension as if you had been married before retirement.

Hence there are an awful lot of civil servants who were in long term relationships but had never married, but who immediately get married after retiring and receiving the WPS refund.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”