Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Inherited SIPP

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Inherited SIPP

Postby malkymoo » May 26th, 2023, 7:49 am

I have a question about the tax treatment of inherited SIPPs.

If a SIPP is inherited, where the original holder of the SIPP was over 75, and the SIPP is partially uncrystalised, is the entitlement to the 25% tax-free lump sum on the uncrystalised portion lost on the death of the original holder? I have made the assumption that it is lost, but cannot find anything that explicitly confirms that assumption.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Inherited SIPP

Postby Dod101 » May 26th, 2023, 7:58 am

malkymoo wrote:I have a question about the tax treatment of inherited SIPPs.

If a SIPP is inherited, where the original holder of the SIPP was over 75, and the SIPP is partially uncrystalised, is the entitlement to the 25% tax-free lump sum on the uncrystalised portion lost on the death of the original holder? I have made the assumption that it is lost, but cannot find anything that explicitly confirms that assumption.

I do not know but can the SIPP managers not give you the answer? After all they are the legal owners of the SIPP.

Dod

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » May 26th, 2023, 11:13 am

The ability to take a 25% PCLS is restricted to the original owner of the SIPP and dies with them.

https://www.mandg.com/pru/adviser/en-gb/insights-events/insights-library/pension-death-benefits-q-and-a

Q. My client died aged 77 leaving an uncrystallised pension fund of £720,000. Is the widow entitled to 25% of this tax-free, as the client did not take their pension commencement lump sum (PCLS) before death?

A. No. PCLS is a retirement benefit. The full £720,000 represents a death benefit and, as death occurred after age 75, the widow must pay tax at their marginal rate on any payments they receive from this.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 26th, 2023, 11:37 am

ursaminortaur wrote:

The ability to take a 25% PCLS is restricted to the original owner of the SIPP and dies with them.

https://www.mandg.com/pru/adviser/en-gb/insights-events/insights-library/pension-death-benefits-q-and-a

Q. My client died aged 77 leaving an uncrystallised pension fund of £720,000. Is the widow entitled to 25% of this tax-free, as the client did not take their pension commencement lump sum (PCLS) before death?

A. No. PCLS is a retirement benefit. The full £720,000 represents a death benefit and, as death occurred after age 75, the widow must pay tax at their marginal rate on any payments they receive from this.

Presumably the Pru/M & G is correct but they are trying to explain why there is no 25% tax free lump sum. Not sure I would be convinced by their reasoning. What we want is a straight forward black and white answer, preferably with a reference to an HMRC manual. The answer though does seem to make sense.

If I were malkymoo I would check with the SIPP manager anyway because they are the ones who should know as they are the ones making the payment.

Dod

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » May 30th, 2023, 11:45 am

Thanks for the replies. I guess the MandG information is correct, but I will check with my SIPP provider as suggested by Dod

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”