Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

SIPP reduced drawdown for a couple of years

hind

SIPP reduced drawdown for a couple of years

Postby hind » June 29th, 2023, 7:44 pm

If I was to reduce my SIPP drawdown amount for a couple of years, as have other income, would there be any obvious negatives.
Imagine this just means all things being equal I will get a higher possible drawerdown figure in future years

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: SIPP reduced drawdown for a couple of years

Postby BullDog » June 29th, 2023, 8:02 pm

Even if I didn't need the money, I'd make sure I was utilising all my personal tax allowance. If only to move money from SIPP to ISA in order to reduce future tax on drawdown.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » June 29th, 2023, 8:54 pm

I have done this and there are no negatives from a SIPP viewpoint. There may be income tax implications to consider.

It's worth remembering that a SIPP is a brilliant vehicle for passing to the next generation totally free of IHT as it is outside your estate. Assuming a future government doesn't change the legislation ;) .

So increasing its value by reducing drawdown might be worthwhile for estate planning purposes.

regards

Howard

hind

Postby hind » June 30th, 2023, 6:15 pm

Thank you for the replies

Bulldog Im using up my allowances still

Howard, yes IHT was part of the reason. Also thought could do a PET as have bigger pension in later life

xxd09
Lemon Slice

Postby xxd09 » June 30th, 2023, 11:54 pm

I certainly oscillated between using my SIPPs and ISAs during drawdown over the last 20 years
I did miss using the balance of my personal allowance once or twice -till pointed out on this board!
Not all that much now with full State Pension in play
Want to keep ISAs below IHT bands and balance of Pension can be left to heirs
Very flexible system
xxd09

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 1st, 2023, 8:21 am

BullDog wrote:Even if I didn't need the money, I'd make sure I was utilising all my personal tax allowance. If only to move money from SIPP to ISA in order to reduce future tax on drawdown.

Interesting view. I'm taking a different view and spending my ISA to reduce IHT exposure. Also by doing so and putting off drawing upon my SIPP I maintain my SIPP contribution allowance, should I decide to return to employment (though that is unlikely).

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » July 1st, 2023, 8:29 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
BullDog wrote:Even if I didn't need the money, I'd make sure I was utilising all my personal tax allowance. If only to move money from SIPP to ISA in order to reduce future tax on drawdown.

Interesting view. I'm taking a different view and spending my ISA to reduce IHT exposure. Also by doing so and putting off drawing upon my SIPP I maintain my SIPP contribution allowance, should I decide to return to employment (though that is unlikely).

Exactly, it's all about personal priorities.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”