Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,longview,nimnarb,sg31,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

Interest only mortgage over 70's

mortgage deals, ideas and discussion
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Quarter

Interest only mortgage over 70's

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 14th, 2021, 6:37 pm

My parents-in-law are aged 73 & 83.

They own their own home and currently have a repayment mortgage with Halifax.

Their LTV is 30%.

My father-in-law has been in hospital or respite care for 11 months now. He has Parkinson's and can no longer walk having lost the use of his lower legs. He's unable to come home as he can't get carers and there are some adaptations needed in the home to allow him to live there.

We're aware that we can apply for a disability grant up to £30K to carry out enhancements in the home to help him.

We're reviewing options to change their mortgage to interest only. Does anyone have any advice on companies or websites that offer interest only mortgages in the sort of circumstances please?

Thank you

AiY

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Interest only mortgage over 70's

Postby Alaric » November 14th, 2021, 7:12 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:M
We're reviewing options to change their mortgage to interest only. Does anyone have any advice on companies or websites that offer interest only mortgages in the sort of circumstances please?

Is "equity release" an option? That's essentially interest only where the debt rolls up against the house value.

bluedonkey
Lemon Slice

Re: Interest only mortgage over 70's

Postby bluedonkey » November 14th, 2021, 8:31 pm

I can't offer much help other than to say that as someone approaching that age, I was warned that renewing my mortgage when >70 would probably be difficult.

Return to “Mortgages”