Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Lost licence

including wills and probate
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Lost licence

Postby Leothebear » October 19th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Hi I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've been done for speeding - a surprise to me as I do try to obey the limits. Anyway I paid the fixed penalty online and sent my licence to the address supplied, recorded delivery.

Just had a response demanding my licence (or else!). So somewhere along the line it's been lost.

And of course can I find the receipt for the Rec Delivery? Of course not. I checked with the PO and the delivery is not trackable without the receipt.

I have returned the form informing the Fixed Penalty Office of this, being all I can do.

Could anyone kindly tell me what the consequences of this are likely to be?

Thanks
Leo

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Lost licence

Postby monabri » October 19th, 2021, 3:16 pm

https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-repl ... ng-licence

To replace your licence you’ll need to:

be a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
not be disqualified from driving for any reason
pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card
provide addresses where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
Provide your driving licence number, National Insurance number and passport number if you know them.

https://www.1driver.co.uk/lost-driving-licence.html

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 19th, 2021, 3:48 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-replace-a-driving-licence

To replace your licence you’ll need to:

be a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
not be disqualified from driving for any reason
pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card
provide addresses where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
Provide your driving licence number, National Insurance number and passport number if you know them.

https://www.1driver.co.uk/lost-driving-licence.html

Thanks but I was more worried about not forwarding the licence to the Fixed Penalty Office.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 19th, 2021, 3:54 pm

a possibility
since you sent the item, have you been on the Royal Mail tracking website and entered the details on there?
https://www3.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/
use the same device and there is a slight possibility if you click in the box for the number, the previously entered number might show up.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 19th, 2021, 6:42 pm

Leothebear wrote: I was more worried about not forwarding the licence to the Fixed Penalty Office.

I don't know the answer but why does the FPO even need sight of your license?

They presumably have access to the DVLA database to confirm the current status of your license, and can also endorse it if needed. It's not like the old paper and book style licenses where endorsements were printed on the document. It is all electronic now.

And meanwhile you are without your license even if it doesn't get lost in the post.

Your situation here, and what happens as a result, will be a good indicator of whether the FPO really has a legitimate need to eyeball your license or not. Let us know!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 19th, 2021, 6:57 pm

This page https://thedrivingsolicitor.co.uk/2018/ ... -speeding/ talks about what happens if you fail to send in your licence. Basically a fairly high possibility of more points and/or a higher fine.

Things don't often go missing in the post very often though. It may turn up, maybe it just crossed with the letter sent out to you.

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 19th, 2021, 7:58 pm

swill453 wrote:This page https://thedrivingsolicitor.co.uk/2018/ ... -speeding/ talks about what happens if you fail to send in your licence. Basically a fairly high possibility of more points and/or a higher fine.

Things don't often go missing in the post very often though. It may turn up, maybe it just crossed with the letter sent out to you.

That article also expresses how utterly unnecessary it is for your license to be sent in for the very reason I gave above. It sounds like the rulebook has not been amended since the paper counterpart was abolished a few years ago.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 20th, 2021, 2:16 pm

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

Not helping the OP, but IME more things go wrong with recorded delivery than normal post, especially if being sent to a PO box or a large organisation, where if the post arrives early and there is nobody there to sign it is taken away or passed to another office who forget to pass it on and it gets lost internally. I've also had a couple of Signed for things go missing at home that took about a month to track down because I was out when they arrived. Of course other letters might also have been lost, but I wouldn't know about that as there was no "sorry you were out" card.

Basically, write to the endorsement office explaining what has happened, and ask if they know where else it might have gone to. It might also be possible to go to the Post Office you used if you know exactly when it was sent (did you pay by card) and they might be able to reproduce the tracking number.

Paul

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 27th, 2021, 1:50 pm

Thanks all. Just to let you know my licence was returned to me in this morning's post. Looks like they'd mislaid it or as suggested recorded delivery actually hampered the delivery. Whatever, it's back with me and I don't have to face going through the replacement process, which is a relief.

Cheers

Leo

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 27th, 2021, 1:57 pm

good to hear
thanks for the update

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”