Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Land registry - Bankruptcy notice

including wills and probate
NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Land registry - Bankruptcy notice

Postby NearlyThere » November 28th, 2021, 11:21 am

I'm just about to repay my mortgage on my home that I've lived in for the last 8 years or so.

Out of curiousity, I paid the £3 fee to get a copy of the title document from the land registry.

I was somewhat surprised to see a "bankruptcy notice" under the proprietorship section that appears to have been added in 2018. It reads:

(10.05.2018) BANKRUPTCY NOTICE entered under section 86(2) of the Land
Registration Act 2002 in respect of a pending action, as the title of
the proprietor of the registered estate appears to be affected by a
petition in bankruptcy against **My Name** presented in the County Court
at Truro (Court Reference Number XXXXXX ) (Land Charges Reference
Number XXXXXX ).

I have no idea what this is about. Never had any bankruptcy proceedings or communication about this, plus I've never been to Truro!

I've sent a message to Land registry asking how I go about getting this removed, but wondered if any Lemons had come across this before, and should I be worried?

Cheers,

NT

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Land registry - Bankruptcy notice

Postby didds » November 28th, 2021, 12:13 pm

contact the Truro country court and ask about t Court Reference Number XXXXXX ) (Land Charges Reference
Number XXXXXX ).

??

NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Re: Land registry - Bankruptcy notice

Postby NearlyThere » December 6th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Well, I heard back from the Land Registry today. it appears they had written to me twice in 2018 with enquiries around the pending bankruptcy action against someone with the same name as me, and having received no replies, the bankruptcy notice was added by default to the title in the register.

This is all because my contact details on the register were my previous address, which I left in 2014. (I owned both the properties at the same time for about a year)

I've sent off the COG1 form to update my contact details, and they've asked for a signed letter declaring that I am not the person in the bankruptcy proceedings. Once received they'll remove the notice.

Reinforces the importance of having the correct contact details for entries on the land register!

Looks like it will all be sorted now, but I do wonder what might have happened if I hadn't had the curiosity to check the title before settling up on the mortgage.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”