Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

BoJo joins the police?

including wills and probate
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

BoJo joins the police?

Postby stewamax » December 6th, 2021, 10:31 pm

On the BBC news last night, BoJo was dressed in a police hat and jacket - both marked POLICE.
Since he doesn't have a legitimate lawful purpose (personal vanity doesn't count) to don such clothes, he is committing an offence under the Police Act 1996.
"Any person who, not being a member of a police force ... has in his possession any article of police uniform shall, unless he proves that he obtained possession of that article lawfully and has possession of it for a lawful purpose, be guilty of an offence ..."

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: BoJo joins the police?

Postby servodude » December 6th, 2021, 10:59 pm

stewamax wrote:On the BBC news last night, BoJo was dressed in a police hat and jacket - both marked POLICE.
Since he doesn't have a legitimate lawful purpose (personal vanity doesn't count) to don such clothes, he is committing an offence under the Police Act 1996.
"Any person who, not being a member of a police force ... has in his possession any article of police uniform shall, unless he proves that he obtained possession of that article lawfully and has possession of it for a lawful purpose, be guilty of an offence ..."

Do you remember Danny DeVito as the stripper in "Friends"?
- somehow that popped in to my head

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 6th, 2021, 11:18 pm

stewamax wrote:On the BBC news last night, BoJo was dressed in a police hat and jacket - both marked POLICE.

In addition, is the old offence of "Impersonating a Police officer" still a thing, or is it now covered by this 'possession of clothing' offence you mention? I guess it must still be current as there are ways of impersonating a copper other than by wearing items of the uniform.

Either way he would appear to be bang to rights from what I've heard about this new report.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » December 6th, 2021, 11:22 pm

Mike4 wrote:

In addition, is the old offence of "Impersonating a Police officer" still a thing, or is it now covered by this 'possession of clothing' offence you mention? I guess it must still be current as there are ways of impersonating a copper other than by wearing items of the uniform.

Either way he would appear to be bang to rights from what I've heard about this new report.

How about the offence of impersonating a Prime Minister?

doolally

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 7th, 2021, 12:06 am

doolally wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

How about the offence of impersonating a Prime Minister?

doolally

Lol.

I don't think he's good enough at that to be mistaken for the real thing...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 7th, 2021, 6:16 am

This is presumably tongue in cheek since he would I am sure be covered by the 'unless.........' part of your extract.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 7th, 2021, 7:49 am

Dod101 wrote:

This is presumably tongue in cheek since he would I am sure be covered by the 'unless.........' part of your extract.

Dod

In any case, it would all be too late, as the police do not now investigate cases retrospectively (e.g. the announcement of why they aren't investigating Bojo's Christmas party).

This new policy will cut down on police time enormously.

I see Johnson is also trying to circumvent the conclusions of the Judiciary, so soon we will be back to the law of the jungle on the streets plus justice by dictat from the government - or whichever strong man happens to be in charge at the time.

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 7th, 2021, 8:28 am

Maybe someone should report the party at No.10 to Officer Johnson?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 7th, 2021, 9:44 am

Moderator Message:
This thread is nonsense. I borrowed a Police Uniform from my local constabulary many years ago when I was in a play. Looking at the thread above, the word "Lawfully" appears in the sentance. Since the Police gave the PM the uniform to wear in this paricular event, no offence can have been committed.

I am locking this thread.

TJH

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”