Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Will advice

including wills and probate
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Will advice

Postby Lootman » November 7th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Wuffle wrote:Is there a reason why the charitable donations cannot be made before the passing? Then, on passing, give to someone you actually like rather than agonising over donations to questionable relatives?

The problem is that you might need the money yourself if, say, you live longer than you think and need a lot of expensive care.

So by having the Will handle that, you retain maximum flexibility over your assets for your entire life.

That said, I have solved the problem by not leaving anything to charity. I'll make donations as I feel like it each year. But the amounts are small, relatively speaking. That also means you can use Gift-Aid.

Of course, it also depends if you want to avoid IHT.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: Will advice

Postby scrumpyjack » November 7th, 2019, 2:20 pm

The other problem that can arise is that the Charity you choose no longer exists when you eventually die. This happened with my mother's Will.

If you must leave money to charities, it may be better for the Will not to specify which Charity but leave a Letter of Wishes instructing you Executor which ones should get how much. You can easily amend that letter at any time (more easily than changing your Will).

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”