Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Unpleasant behaviour

including wills and probate
lentilloaf

Unpleasant behaviour

Postby lentilloaf » December 17th, 2019, 9:02 am

While walking along an unsealed unclassified county road in England recently we were on the receiving end of some unpleasant behaviour by a motorcyclist. The police said the behaviour I described would be under Careless and Inconsiderate Driving, and behaviour photographed would be under the Public Order Act section 4A. The motorcycle had no registration plate, as shown by a photo. Photos showed the driver's face clearly enough to be recognised by someone who knows him. He appeared to be chummy with the driver of a car whose registration number I gave. However, since this person was not involved in the incident, the police won't contact him to ask about the identity of the motorcyclist.

Is it normal for the police to refuse to ask a potential witness? I don't want a quarrel with the police - they have enough to do and so do I - but is there any constructive way to get them to make an enquiry at least so that it might become known to the motorcyclist as a deterrent?

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Unpleasant behaviour

Postby supremetwo » December 17th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Trouble is that there are so many illegal activities such as you have witnessed and, as you say, the police do not have the manpower.
They are inundated with serious crime and in your case, especially as nobody was injured, it cannot be a priority.

I have seen 'shame' postings on such as Facebook but your own identity needs to be completely hidden or you could end up with a brick through your windows or worse!

If it is a popular route and it is happening often, a local paper reporter might want to publish.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 17th, 2019, 11:29 pm

lentilloaf wrote:... is there any constructive way to get them to make an enquiry at least so that it might become known to the motorcyclist as a deterrent?

The short answer is no. None of the behaviour would be considered sufficiently serious to merit further investigation.

lentilloaf

Postby lentilloaf » December 18th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Thank you for answers both, and as you suggest there is not much prospect of usefully pursuing the matter. I've thanked the police for their actions, as they did deal with it quite promptly and explain the offences.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”